So.... the Right says staying in school is bad?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/04/us/04school.html?bl&ex=1252296000&en=aca08736a6e52505&ei=5087%0A

What the hell is wrong with people? Seriously? What is wrong with the President telling kids to work hard and stay in school? How is that bad? How could anyone disagree with that sentiment? I was no fan of Bush, but if he gave a speech to the nations students, it wouldn't have bothered me in the least.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only objection I have is that it's probably a waste of valuable classroom time. In my state, the teachers already complain that they don't have enough time to teach extra stuff because they have to teach the Standards of Learning. As someone on the radio said today, why not produce public service announcements and play them on Nickelodeon...that way kids are more likely to see them.

He should also tell them not to smoke and to eat fruits and vegetables and don't shoot each other. It's likely to be as effective as telling them to "work hard and stay in school." DUH.

Well, the only thing that I have to complain about here in NC is the fact from the time that they step into the class on the first day of school, they do nothing but preach the EOG, (End of grade testing) and that is what they teach the kids to pass. That is all they focus on. Then they stress the kids out so bad by telling them, if you don't pass the EOG, you fail and have to stay back. THey stress them out SOOO bad that honors students are faiing. How can you base a whole year on one test.

That is what I find is messed up with the education system.

A few comments.

1) Some fear that it will turn political. One example was the school district in UT, if memory serves, last week that showed a video of celebrities pledging allegiance to Obama, not the country, not the office of the president, but to a specific person. Also in the past, many politicians have used children as props for speeches, and that is another factor.

2) The idea to do this originated in the White House and not in the Department of Educations. While this may not be a bad idea, it's been reported that several documents in references to the speech to children do not show the presidential seal, but the campaign logo, which reinforces the assumption that this is political

3)Several of Obama's mentors and peers do view education as a way to influence poltics.

4)While the timing may be designed to make the most of a new school year, usually the first month of school is one of the most hectic and some feel that the timing could have waited until things settled down in school

Let's call it what it is; PARANOIA and HATE. This comes directly from the crazies that have found their way into public view with more and more outlandish accusations, off the wall stories, and bigotry. They do not like President Obama, period; and they will say and do anything to try and make his job more difficult. Their biggest fear is that he might actually make some positive change. It also appears some are intimidated by the fact that he has a brain and actually tries to use it. Why do so many of these fanatics seem to denigrate intelligence? The man is certainly not perfect, and obviously, he has made some decisions he likely would change if he could do a "do over". He took over the most difficult job in the world (most likely) and some of the absolute worst problems the country has had in decades. Even if you do not like the man, he is still the president. What are we teaching kids when we give these kinds of examples?

Shields up. Just do not send Beck after me, please.(This message has been edited by skeptic)

"Even if you do notyo like the man, he is still the president." Exactly Skeptic! Thats all you heard from the Right during the Bush years when all the Leftys were protesting him. Wheres that sentiment now? Its like bizarro world, actually heard someone from the Right saying that they didnt want the government telling them what do to with their body... Would have loved if the reporter immediately got their opinion on abortion after that statement :)

I have no problem with this President, or any other President addressing children. But I, like many others, did not vote for him, nor do I agree with any of his policies. My suggestion would be to have this address be in the evening when families can sit down together and watch it. Parents and children can then initiate a discussion of his message. I want my children to hear what he has to say. I want them to be exposed to all viewpoints. But as an involved parent, I reserve the right to be present when they are exposed to those messages. At noon, I am at my job and can not be there to be part of the experience. At 7 PM it becomes a great family experience in learning about how the American political process works.

At school, will there be discussion of the speech? Who will lead the discussion, and who will answer questions? I assume Mr. Obama will stress self reliance and the value of working hard in school in order to succeed in life. But who will respond when a child then asks why all of his public policies stress more reliance on government spending?

Why is it that if we choose to disagree with someone, we are branded as being hateful or paranoid and of being crazy? I don't take kindly to any of those accusations. I just plain disagree with everything he has proposed to this point. Just because he was elected does not mean I have to get in line behind him. That is why we have elections. In a few years I will have my chance to evaluate whether he has been successful. In the meantime it is my right to agree or disagree with his proposals.

And yes, he took over the most difficult job in the world. It is now fair to ask whether he was prepared and capable of doing so.

I wil agree with skeptic when he says that he is president. I have to respect the position. I do not have to respect the man.

Obama made a lot of promises that as far as I can see have not come around yet. He promised a better economy, that is not happening. He promised more jobs, that is not happening. He made this grand idea of govt healthcare. Hey we have that, but it is taken up by those that do not need or deserve to be on it. Last time I checked it was called medicare/medicaid. How is it illegal aliens in this country have more rights to healthcare than had working, tax paying, American Citizens. I dunno. And to top it off my democratic govener wants to give them all FREE college education while I still have to pay. Where is the point in that.

Sometimes I think that it would be better for me and my family to leave the country, denounce our citizenship, and come back without permission. Then we can go and get lots of free healthcare, free college, free money to sit on our duff. Man that sounds like a good life. Anyone want to join me on that trip.

It is my opinion that a lot of the money issues that we have in America stem from the massive population of illegal immagrants abusing our system. DO NOT GET ME WRONG. I am all for those who want a better life coming to America. USE THE FRONT DOOR.

Now I know I wil probably get a few or more negative responses on this, but that is my opinion.

"The only objection I have is that it's probably a waste of valuable classroom time. In my state, the teachers already complain that they don't have enough time to teach extra stuff because they have to teach the Standards of Learning."

Please, current public schools are such a waste of time. There is plenty of time if you take away the fund raiser meetings, pep rallys, field trips, movies, and busy work worksheets.

I don't understand all the hand wringing and moaning about this current matter, and think it is just silly. Presidents address school children all the time. This isn't that big a deal. People should get over it. (President Bush did it too.)

If the president - ANY president - were coming to my child's school, I'd be delighted. What an exciting opportunity to see someone in such a position of power up close, and later in life to be able to say that "I saw President X."

I've made no secret of my political affiliations here. But last year, when John McCain was touring the region, I made sure to get my son to a small campaign event where he could see, hear, and practically touch McCain's sleeve, had he wanted to. Had McCain won the election I wouldn't have been happy about it, but my son would've been able to say he'd met the president. Every one of his teachers expressed how cool it was that he was able to do that, even though it meant he missed school that day.

The Right fears that the Presidents message of personal responsibility and staying in school will actually take. The last time the President addressed this nations students directly was in 1991. Why has it taken 18 years for a President to realize the importance of our youth and our educational system?

"Sometimes I think that it would be better for me and my family to leave the country, denounce our citizenship, and come back without permission. Then we can go and get lots of free healthcare, free college, free money to sit on our duff. Man that sounds like a good life. Anyone want to join me on that trip".

I think you should try that. But you should be ready for a big surprise when you find out that illegal immigrants do not get free health care, free college or free money to sit on their duffs.

I'll be looking for you in front of the 7-11.

Hal

Hal,

Anyone goign to an emergency room, irregardless of nationality or ability to pay, gets healthcare. Then they are sent a bill to the address that they gave. Most of the time they either ignore it or they have moved. That's why most hosptials are non-profit and have a "charity case" expense in their budgets. Part of the reason why healthcare is so expensive is that those wh do pay their bills are also paying part of the bills that others are not paying.