No, the description of fruity is quite appropriate, as it calls to mind something that is colorful and would best be tossed into a blender and made part of a smoothie. A rather humorous visual, actually...

Mmmmm, red beret smoothie...(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm shocked - shocked I say - I never thought I'd see the day when Trev, using code words, would come out of the closet as a beret lover.

It's pretty obvious with the use of the word "fruity". After all, we all know that the best things in life are fruity.

Examples:

Best dish of any kind that is made in a dutch oven? Apple (or peach or cherry) Cobbler. Can't get much fruitier than that.

Best drink for a scorching hot day? Lemonade - made with a glorious yellow fruit.

Best non-chocolate candy? Even has the word right in the name: Good and Fruity. Two words that naturally go together.

Yep - its obvious, Trev has secretly longed for the return of the Red Beret - the most useful hat the BSA ever approved.

It was that shade of red. Some other color would have been better. Around here everyone tried to trade for the green Scouts Canada beret.

Also as a youth I went through ten years of Cubs and Scouts without any mention of homosexuals. The only issue was religion, the idiot adult camporee leader who tried to make my Jewish buddies attend a protestant chapel, they had one for the RCs.

Oh, what the (mythical place)!

My favorite gum of all time, discovered at the age of my earliest memories: 'Juicy Fruit'. I just can't help myself.

And as for hats, I really like the idea of an ostrich plume. Oh yeah!

So, if a person who has a Y-chromosome but develops with female characteristics enters a relationship with a 'normal' male, is this 'gay'?

If a guy decides to have 'the operation' and operationally becomes a woman, and marries a guy, is this 'gay'? I'd really like BSA to clarify on these things.

I've asked this before, but do those members whose homophobia is so strong advocate karyotypes or other genetic tests, perhaps jsst to be sure?

Gern,

Ain't a thing wrong with being a male lesbian. I've been that way since my second year of college, so I'm resigned to it.

My only point of confusion is that I have large hands. Does that mean I'm well-hung? For a lesbian?

"So, if a person who has a Y-chromosome but develops with female characteristics enters a relationship with a 'normal' male, is this 'gay'?

If a guy decides to have 'the operation' and operationally becomes a woman, and marries a guy, is this 'gay'? I'd really like BSA to clarify on these things.

I've asked this before, but do those members whose homophobia is so strong advocate karyotypes or other genetic tests, perhaps jsst to be sure?"

Pack, you jest (I hope), but the sad thing is, you would not believe (or maybe you would) some of the things that trangender people get asked to submit to everyday.

I am currently reading the story of a transwoman who is being asked to have her private parts examined and photographed, and that photo displayed to all the other women in her workplace in order to retain her job where she must change her shoes in a locker room with all those other women.

BTW, the term you are looking for that describes someone whose karyotype matches their gender identity is "cis-gender".

First, testicular feminization is a condition where the person is biologically a male but has no testosterone receptors. As a result, they develop as a female without sex organs. If caught early, the testes which typically have not descended are removed (due to likely malignant transformation) and a vagina is constructed. They tend to be volptuous women (a famous actress has this conditon). Obviously, they are sterile. It points out how complicated these issues can become. In the case of testicular feminization caught early, the person has a vagina, looks, and acts like a female. Unfortunately, many of the other transgender, et cetera folks are confused. The confusion is too often obvious. My children are grown, but as a parent, I do not want to go to scouts (Boy or Girl) with a child and have to try to explain issues that they are not mature enough to deal. Scouting is not and should not be a way for people who are confused to find their identities. It is a place to help young men and women to mature into sucessful, productive, and moral citizens. If scouting lacks its standards, at least in my area there will be no one left to make a council.

"It points out how complicated these issues can become. In the case of testicular feminization caught early, the person has a vagina, looks, and acts like a female."

Not all individuals suffering from androgen insensivity syndrome (the correct name for the intersex condition you are referring to here) decide to have reassignment surgery. So it's even more complicated than you present.

"Unfortunately, many of the other transgender, et cetera folks are confused. The confusion is too often obvious."

Again, your opinion. There is a standard of care for transgender people, and referring to them as "confused" is not part of that.

"My children are grown, but as a parent, I do not want to go to scouts (Boy or Girl) with a child and have to try to explain issues that they are not mature enough to deal. Scouting is not and should not be a way for people who are confused to find their identities. It is a place to help young men and women to mature into sucessful, productive, and moral citizens. If scouting lacks its standards, at least in my area there will be no one left to make a council."

Yeah, because someone with a medical condition that is often considered by many to be a type of birth defect obviously lacks moral standards.... Again, you are making a prejudgement about all transgender people based on your personal biases. How exactly is Scouting a way to "find their identity"? It's not. They do that through counseling, and if warranted, medical transition. They may incidently be (or wish to be) involved in scouting because of their children. But you are trying to make some sort of weird connection here that just doesn't exist. Unless the person in question is involved in scouts *during* their transition (which I would not recommend), there is nothing to explain. The person is male or the person is female now (post-transition). What their birth gender may or may not have been is no more anyone's business than private parts of the woman I mentioned in my previous post is the business of her coworkers.

Dan and vol_scouter, I do not ask these things entirely in jest. I don't know much about these things professionally other than their existence and the biological factors associated with them. I do have a couple friends who are transgender. The complexity associated with one of them goes far beyond anything either of you (or I for that matter) have described. I merely accept these persons as friends with very unique experiences in life.