Scout leader arrested

sounds like he got what was coming to him. i hope he hasn't hurt any other boys. the bad thing is that the news will get a hold of this and play it over and over again making the scouts seem corrupt and full of pedophiles. but they dont play story's about scouts doing good things, and when they do its not near as much as these story's get played.

• 2 weeks later...

The affidavit said Helm arrived at the meeting with condoms, chocolate syrup and beer in his possession. New meaning to the motto "Be Prepared?"

Gern - his Boy Scout service may have been more in evmori's area than yours.(This message has been edited by acco40)

The original story and headline indicated he was a local scout leader. but subsequent stories have downplayed his current role in scouting and focused on his being a church youth leader. Seems he was active 20 years go, but wasn't an current Scouter.

I first thought that Youth Protection training was bunk.

Then I was confronted by the fact that you would NEVER be suspicious of the one child molestor that I personally know. High ranking (LTC), decorated military officer, from a good family, with a good family, beautiful wife, and deeply religious. Now communing with God in Leavenworth after molesting two of his three daughters. He was working as the top cop (IG) at an overseas military base when he was caught.

You just can't tell from appearances, and so you have to be a little bit wary of everyone. Sad, isn't it?

JoeBob

Good point Joe. I have a story to tell as well about a twisted leader. I hate the obstacles the youth protection seems to make, but the context of everything is so open to problems that YP makes good sense.

I wonder if there's MORE molestation in this world, in 2009, than there was a generation or two ago. In terms of quantity, likely there's more simply because there are more people. But is the percentage relatively higher? I don't know. I do think we're more aware of what goes on in "kidnapping" cases.

I dislike the suspicion and mistrust the whole issue generates. You know, this kind of stuff (and rape cases) makes me wish we had old fashioned posses of guys who would just rough up offenders out in the alley, knock them senseless.