American Heritage Girls gain momentum

American Heritage Girls gain momentum

http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/american-heritage-girls-gain-momentum-184027.html

9:14 AM Tuesday, June 30, 2009

By Lindsey Hilty, Staff Writer

Hamilton Journal-News

With a newly announced partnership with the Boy Scouts of America and a rapidly growing popularity in the group, the American Heritage Girls are looking to become a household name.

American Heritage Girls is dedicated to its Christ-centered mission of building women of integrity through service to God, family and commitment, according to organizers. The emphasis is meeting the spiritual, mental, physical and social needs for young women in a non-denominational group that partners with local Christian churches, para-churches and private schools.

The group is now officially recognized in a Memorandum of Mutual Support with the Boy Scouts of America, because both groups share the same values. It was the first partnership of its kind formed in the 100 year history of boy scouts, said American Heritage Girls founder and National Executive Director, Patti Garibay of West Chester Twp.

Garibay started the group in 2005 as a faith-based alternative to Girl Scouts, where she volunteered for 13 years prior to a shift in Girl Scout oaths that no longer acknowledge God.

Rather than cursing the darkness, we decided to light a candle and start something new, she said. God had a much bigger plan for it, and it grew beyond our thoughts and dreams.

What started as 100 girls locally has grown to 210 troops nationwide with 8,000 total participants of girls ages 5-18.

To find out more about American Heritage Girls, call Heart of America at (513) 772-4462 or visit http://www.ahgonline.org

[excerpted]

[emphasis added]

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I know it isn't cool to reply to your own post, but I didn't get a chance to post a reply to the comments on the article about the atheist summer camp in the UK, and I agree with OGE's decision to close that thread.

But this article and that one are related, so I will comment now: I highlighted the key statement in this article: AHG was founded as an alternative to GSUSA. Rather than complain about GSUSA policies, they took a more constructive approach and built a new organization.

I wish those who curse BSA and want to sue it into submission would take a lesson from AHG and Richard Dawkins: rather than trying to bend BSA to your will, how about doing something constructive instead like creating an alternative? To those who claim BSA has a monopoly, I say BSA has no more a monopoly than GSUSA, and that didn't stop the founders of AHG from creating an alternative organization, and it didn't stop Dawkins from creating camps that cater to non-believers.

I could see this as an opportunity, but I fear it will be taken the wrong way by many, particularly those looking for a reason to criticize the BSA, or those with strong traditional (although not neccesarily moral) ties to GSA.

Since there is no such organization as GSA, I don't have a clue if it is moral or not.

I applaud AHG for stepping up and creating a new organization that met their needs instead of complaining, or demanding that other organizations change to satisfy them.

However, I really do wish that they would stop saying that "Girl Scout oaths that no longer acknowledge God". This is entirely untrue.

The Girl Scout Promise

On my honor, I will try:

To serve God and my country,

To help people at all times,

And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

As anyone can see, their Promise CLEARLY states GOD.

What AHG is complaining about (along with other things), is the fact that GSUSA specifically includes any and all gods, not simply the Christian version.

"The word "God" can be interpreted in a number of ways, depending on one's spiritual beliefs. When reciting the Girl Scout Promise, it is okay to replace the word "God" with whatever word your spiritual beliefs dictate."

Personally, I find this to be very inclusive, and welcoming to girls of all faiths.

While GSUSA does not include religious requirements in their program, they do encourage all girls to earn the Religious Emblem of their faith. They also celebrate Girl Scout Sunday and Girl Scout Sabbath.

I did notice that there is no mention of this agreement yet on the BSA National website.

(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

From what I understand, their complaint (among others) is that some GS units allowed members to substitute or remove the term God, to fit their personal beliefs, not that the God part was removed from the GS Promise for all.

BTW, what exactly is a "Memorandum of Mutual Support"? Does it have any real impact or influence on how the BSA/AHG operate,or is it just the equivalent of saying "We like what your organization is doing"?

I was refering to the statement that BSA shares the same values as AHG. However, they don't. BSA allows any religion to participate. AHG is Christian centric.

Anywhoo. Heading off to Bissett for 10 days in a canoe with the crew.

Gern out!

The AHG isn't just Christian-centric - it's wholly Christian: While AHGs mission statement is to Build women of integrity through service to God, family, community and country, we recognize that our overall mission as part of Gods family is the Great Commission, as commanded by our Lord, Jesus Christ. Can't get much more plain-spoken.

That's in stark contrast to the BSA. The DRP explicitly spells out that religion is the province of the home and family's religious affiliation, if any. The plethora of non-Christian religious awards alone makes that evident, even if you missed the DRP.

It makes me wonder why the AHG would enter into an agreement with a group that does not share its goals, unless there's some sort of tacit "understanding" at work there from the BSA.

I totally missed this one... the press release is going to be posted at Scouting News on July 6th. However in the mean time if anyone is interested in the actual memorandum of mutual support it can be seen at:

http://www.scoutingnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mou_bsa_ahg_bw.pdf

I think the press release, puts too much of a focus on the "partnership". Its basically a resolution of support. Strategically if the older girl AHG program is incorporated into the Venturing Program its a win for the BSA.

Fred Goodwin writes:

I wish those who curse BSA and want to sue it into submission would take a lesson from AHG and Richard Dawkins: rather than trying to bend BSA to your will, how about doing something constructive instead like creating an alternative?

I wish those who had bent public schools to their will of religious discrimination had voluntarily seen that public schools can't possibly charter private clubs that exclude atheists and had dropped them, instead of requiring the ACLU to threaten to sue public schools that violated the civil rights of their own students.