Thanks for the link Mr. Leroy.

So it would seem that the law enforcement program for Explorers has changed little since established in the 50's. The notable change is the increasing intolerance of the Politically Correct New York Times.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this discussion very interesting,from a personal viewpoint.I come from the council that includes this unit,and served as our Exploring Division chairman when Venturing was created.At that time,and I believe currently,our largest Exploring cluster group was law enforcement,and the Border Patrol was the sponsor of most of those units.We had their local sector commander as a guest speaker at one of our annual recognition dinners.They were a very active and involved sponsor for these units.

We attempted to service both the existing Exploring and new Venturing units through our division.We found that though the two programs have some simularities(eg:youth age range),their differences were sufficient to warrent serving them differently.So the Exploring posts were assigned to a new LFL division,along with our in-school and special needs groups.The Venturing crews were assigned to our districts,where they remain.

One of the reasons we decided to seperate these programs(though not the primary one)was that some Scouters from the traditional programs weren't comfortable working in LFL.It's a subsidiary of the BSA,with its own policies,some of which are rather different from those for the traditional programs.This has proven to be a satisfactory(though admittedly not perfect)arrangement.

Baden,

How many Hispanics have the BP buried along the southern border, after shooting them? I'm sure they attempt to deescalate, then restrain and detain before reverting to deadly force. You shoot only to protect yourself and others, which I'm sure is what they are teaching the kids down there.

I didn't know that you liked to impersonate the French. I'll send you one of my thermarest pads to use, so you are a little more comfy when you lay down and surrender instead of fight, when the new US Talih's come knocking at your door.

Gee ASM

I see you are another fear mongerer with unsubstantiated claims holdover of the Bush regime.

Get a reality check buddy, your intel is way off base, kinda like WOMD claims that were never substantiated by your hero and has cost this country over 4,000 lives. I guess you can always hide in your backyard bomb shelter, lol.

Baden,

Fear mongerer??? Who me??? Nooo!!!

What was the little item I caught on the news about NYC last night? Something about thwarting a planned terrorist attack? WOW!!! Just because the supposed terrorist are stupid now, doesn't mean the next one will be.

I like to lay on the sand and get a nice tan, not hide my head in it like an ostrich. Ostrich feathers would make for some interesting regalia. Next time you feel a few tweaks of pain on your backside, don't worry about pulling your head up out of the sand to what's happening. It's just me plucking a couple of feathers to add to my regalia. LOL

We had someone ramblimg on at work last spring about something was happening in the fall. Didn't know what, but it was coming. And it did.

Gee, how does one get elected if the majority of people vote against them? Then again, how does one ge re-elected if the majority of people vote against them?

Looks like we're going to find out what a true savior of our people is all about.

Ever wonder how those "stupid" people ever came to the conclusion that white, elderly, Republican males were the happiest people in America. Whiney people tend to be quite unhappy with their lot in life. Well, we've got 100 days under our belt and already the whiners are whining. What's up?

Stosh

Stosh

The only reason W got re-elected was he had 4 years to instill fear in the public that everyone was out to kill all Americans, the same kind of tactics Osama and Sadam used with their own people. Our country lived in fear during W's reign.

ASM

What a bunch of nonsense and prattle, terrorist attacks started with airplane hijackings of the 1970's, they are not new and unfortunately part of life. Remember Tim McVey who blew up the federal building in Oklahoma, he was nothing but a homegrown country boy, much like yourself. The point is there will always be those who will hate us and strike out at us, and we will never be able to wipe them all out. With our troops and federal agencies overextended overseas we look more vulnerable to a lot of crazy idiots out there, but your insistent fear mongering does NOTHING to allieviate the problem. So live your life in fear if you must, by the way how is life in your backyard bomb shelter, lol.

I'd include the KKK in terrorist ranks, not to mention other similar homegrown hate groups. If the British had beat the colonies, I suspect that many of our patriots would be labeled terrorists under today's usage. The practice goes to antiquity.

From what I read, the NYC plot was purely homegrown, unconnected to any other group, and the plotters were basically stupid but malicious criminals. They had the inclination but not much else.

I've really tried to stay far out of this "debate" since it more closely resembles the trash talking you find on a lot of supposed "news" blogs, than a scouting-related site.

But as someone with an academic background in studying political violence, I have to take issue with this statement:

"terrorist attacks started with airplane hijackings of the 1970's"

Nope. Terrorism can be traced much, MUCH further back in time than that. Check out the "zealots" (aka sicarii) from the 1st C. if you want to go way back.

I'm not going to follow up on this thread so by all means, go back to the bickering, but I just couldn't let that one stand without comment.

Hey Packsaddle,

I can't blame you for not knowing more about the NYC plotters. You have to look long and hard to find out that they all converted to Islam in prison and belonged to a mosque noted for 'teaching peace'. I guess that makes them 'Islamic Terrorists'. Oops! I mean 'Friends on hard times'. God Bless the FBI for finding that particular cell without the surveilance tools the Dems took away. If not for an informant, they would have had REAL C4.

The war on terror is over? Now we have 'overseas contingency opertions'? That makes me feel much safer.

BP: You've bought the Bush-Derangement media line. I'm probably wasting my time, but:

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years," the vice chairman of the Intelligence committee told the Senate.

The president was Bill Clinton (Dec. 16, 1998). The senator was Jay Rockefeller, a Democrat from West Virginia (Oct. 10, 2002).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05310/600991.stm

Pelosi is trying to take the CIA out of the game. Why finance an intelligence organization if they lie to us?

Enough for now.

3000+ civilian deaths, one attack, isn't enough evidence to convince the people they are all walking around with a target on their chest? Fear is a great motivator and if people run around in a paranoid panic, that doesn't mean they don't have just cause to do so. Just like any boxer will tell you, keep your guard up at all times.

I don't run around in a panic because for many years I assumed that there were those out there that support the Constitution's requirement that national security be responsible to the Federal government. When the Federal government abdicates that responsibility then I'll start worrying. If the elected leadership doesn't accept that responsibility then the people will have to do it on their own. Ever wonder why there's a run on gun shops lately?

Maybe it's just fear of the unknown, but what if it's a fear of the known that motivates them? That's always a possibility, too.

Stosh