Religious people make better citizens, study says

Beavah, you, Fred, Ed, and lots of others have repeatedly made statements where atheists should or ought to be discriminated against by their own government and be treated as second-class citizens.

Even if that were true, which it isn't, it has nuthin' to do with my statement. You've seen testimony from dozens of us Tamils, I mean scouters, as to how we really interpret da DRP in our interactions with youth (or how we coach other adult leaders to act).

Like I said, prejudice.

Thanks for da youth application link, I was wrong. That was a recent change. Unfortunate, IMO, but no doubt one of those unfortunate responses that comes from bein' harassed by lots of legal shenanigans. That's why litigatin' "beliefs" with fellow citizens is nuthin' but dirty and destructive business.

You've advocated that public schools ought to be able to violate the civil rights of atheist students.

Yeh can repeat it ten more times and it still won't be true. Oops, I mean "lie" about it, to use da Merlyn vernacular. A bit like taunting a fellow child by shoutin' "Your mother was a hamster!" over and over again. ;)

But riddle me this... does it violate da rights of rural citizens to make government grants for urban development available? Doin' so actively excludes some persons from a tax-funded government program. Does it violate da civil rights of those who attend public university to give tax-funded tuition support to another student to attend da University of Notre Dame? Does it violate da civil rights of a girl who pursues a degree in English Literature by funding another girl who pursues a degree in medicine, even though it means you're spendin' more tax dollars on one than the other?

(Be careful, eh? There are a higher percentage of religious people in rural areas, and more Catholics at Notre Dame. So these policies have differential effects on suspect classes ;) )

Or rather than everything bein' an issue of litigation over civil rights, are some things just questions of public policy? Policy which we might agree or disagree with, eh? But just policy.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beavah, you, Fred, Ed, and lots of others have repeatedly made statements where atheists should or ought to be discriminated against by their own government and be treated as second-class citizens. Your excuses don't wash.

When have I made such a statement?

Your own attitude is similar, as you've often advocated that public schools ought to be able to violate the civil rights of atheist students.

Still waiting to find out how the civil rights of atheists are being violated.

Even if that were true, which it isn't, it has nuthin' to do with my statement. You've seen testimony from dozens of us Tamils, I mean scouters, as to how we really interpret da DRP in our interactions with youth (or how we coach other adult leaders to act).

I've seen what you've advocated on how public schools should be able to treat atheist students.

Like I said, prejudice.

That's exactly what you exude.

Yeh can repeat it ten more times and it still won't be true.

You can deny it as much as you like, but advocating that public schools ought to be able to discriminate against atheist students is advocating that schools ought to be able to violate their civil rights.

Or rather than everything bein' an issue of litigation over civil rights, are some things just questions of public policy?

Not religious discrimination.

Considering the news I'm not sure the Tamils are a good analogy. At least I sure don't consider myself as part of a well-armed rebel insurgency that was just vanquished on the battlefield. I hope BSA isn't analogous to any part of that.

Considering the news I'm not sure the Tamils are a good analogy. At least I sure don't consider myself as part of a well-armed rebel insurgency that was just vanquished on the battlefield.

Dat would be da Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka. Tamils are a large ethnic minority in India and the surrounding region.

Just like not all Irish are part of da IRA, not all Tamils are part of da LTTE.

But I probably had 'em on the brain because of da news and havin' a young naturalized American lad of Tamil background at an EBOR last month. ;)

I've seen what you've advocated on how public schools should be able to treat atheist students.

That they should treat 'em just like other students? Yah, that's what I advocate.

You can deny it as much as you like, but advocating that public schools ought to be able to discriminate against atheist students is advocating that schools ought to be able to violate their civil rights.

Eleven times. Must be tough to think of yourself as such a "liar." ;) Are yeh perhaps a professional liar (aka politician), and yeh think that if yeh just repeat a falsehood enough times people will start to believe yeh?

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Beavah, as long as you advocate that public schools ought to be able to violate the civil rights of atheists, I'll keep pointing it out.

What civil rights are being violated?

I hate to break up the Merlyn show, but to get back to hot foot eagle:

It is perfectly natural for persons of faith to have their doubts from time to time. This is part of building your faith. Faith is like a muscle - it must be exercised over time in order to grow. As events happen in our lives, often tragic, we might wonder, where is God? Hopefully we have time to allow our faith to grow before we need it for a major issue or loss.

I imagine there were millions of believers who were asking "where is God?" on 9/11/01. What does that say about us? Only that we are human.

My guess is that Mother Teresa was often asking "where is God?" based on the suffering she was seeing on a daily basis.