If Texas secedes .....?

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/04/16/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4950073.shtml

Texas Governor Floats Possibility Of Secession

So hypothetically, if Gov. Rick Perry (Eagle Scout and author of the book, On My Honor) follows through with his warning that Texas may secede from the USA, what possible ramifications would it have on boy scouting?

1) Rick Perry might have his Eagle rank revoked for violating the Scout Oath.

2) The BSA would need to be re-branded BST at least in Texas.

3) They would need to move BSA national HQ to a US city.

4) Visiting a Texas camp would require a passport.

Anything else I'm missing?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3,000,000 soldiers and 400,000 casualties has shown that secession is illegal, and Texas ratified their position in the US as a sub division of the whole. Therefore they cannot secede but they can rebel.

The constitution states a State cannot enter a state of War without Congressional consent.

However, the Declaration of Independence does state:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,..."

Once the principles outlined in the DI are abolished by our present leaders, we as a people have a right to correct it back to the way it was and has been for the past 200+ years. It sounds like more than just Texas is running short on patience.

But keep it in mind, the last time someone tried such a move, 3,000,000 soldiers and 400,000 casualties resulted in defining it. At some point it may just be worth trying again, but it might be a ways off yet.

Stosh

I'm really not interested in whether Texas can secede or not, but what if they did and how would that effect scouting?

Does the congressional charter for BSA grant us exclusive international rights to the term Boy Scouts? Could we go to war with Texas if they adopt the Boy Scouts of Texas? Would we need to helicopter out the scouters off the roof of Irvine reminiscent of the fall of Saigon? Obviously the Texans would nationalize all assets of BSA stored at the HQ. Would the last of the professional scouters need to destroy any BSA literature before evacuating, just to keep it out of the hands of the rebels?

Do we have a contingency plan for this? BE PREPARED!

"... how would that affect scouting? "

We could develop a Citizenship in Texas merit badge!

After earning 5 MB, the fellows would become Lone Star Scouts!

The slogan would become, "Remember the Alamo!"

GernBlasten wrote: "Does the congressional charter for BSA grant us exclusive international rights to the term Boy Scouts? Could we go to war with Texas if they adopt the Boy Scouts of Texas?"

No. Prior to becoming Co-ed, Scouts Canada was known as Boy Scouts of Canada. The USA hasn't invaded Canada since the War of 1812, back when they were still part of the British Empire.

I spent 30 months in "exile" in Texas back in the early '90's. I heard this all the time from Texans: "We can secede anytime we want, it's in our state constitution...yaddayaddayadda"

I always responded, "Go for it. We won't miss you." Since this is the political thread, it makes me wish they had done so 9 years ago.

I've been to the National HQ. It's just another office building and it wouldn't be difficult to find another one for the new HQ elsewhere. It might be a pain to transfer some of the paper records, but most records are electronic/virtual these days.

As to what they'd call themselves, come on, we're talking Texas here. Land of the stereo-type folks who DO wear western wear with the high healed boots and dinner plate belt buckles (I saw more of that then I thought possible while living there).

They wouldn't call themselves the Boy Scouts of Texas. More like the Lone Star Scouts or perhaps Ranger Scouts.

If the boy misbehaves, he gets a whippin', period. (Saw that once too while down there, offered to be a witness to the mother, mother said tell the scout leader to use his belt next time her son misbehaved like that (he tried to pick a fight with the leader) and not his hand.).

I could see some new/rewritten merit badges for Texas Scouting too:

Leatherwork would require you to make a saddle and a pair of boots

Rattlesnake Raising

Cattle Raising & Branding

Tumbleweed Burning (makes dried Christmas Trees look fireproof in comparison)

Storm Chasing

Truck Mechanics

Football would be it's own badge totally separate from Sports as it's the state religion.

And the Uniform would get a makeover:

Native, Dryland Texas Cotton Shirt

Faded Blue Jeans with chaps

Dinner-plate belt buckle, which you change out based on your rank, with the highest rank being Houston Scout.

10 gallon hat (5 gallon for the Cubs)

Authentic Leather Cowboy Boots with spurs (spurs are earned after you demonstrate proper horsemanship)

Checkered, extra large bandana-color indicates your position in the troop.

:)(This message has been edited by moxieman)

That's the spirit boys.

This reminds me of a thread right after the election where someone posted a website that you put in the zip code and it showed how that area voted. A blue vote meant you should boycott companies in that area. A red vote meant you should support those companies. Guess what happened when you put Irving, Tx? Texas is a very strange place.

All this is is a moronic speech from an ignorant governor, Eagle scout or not, and is not even worth the press it is getting. The people and corporations of Texas would never support it, and has already been pointed out would be impossible to carry out due to legalities, people would leave enmasse, not to mention the states infrastructure would fall apart without federal support. I lived in Texas for over a decade and believe me the people there would view this as nothing more than a big joke, I bet they are already looking into starting impeachment proceedings on this bozo.

If it gets bad enough for Texas to actually secede, I imagine a few other Red states will be ready to follow suit. If Texas remains the only state to secede, their population will probably be doubled by an influx of other disenchanted conservatives and overtaxed companies.

New Zealand is just too far away for me to transport my trucks, and I'm not sure they'd let me bring my guns.

Scouting will be fine. We are prepared, right?

On the bright side, maybe this administration will give California back to Mexico. We need to apologize for taking CA from MX, and half the state already speaks Spanish.