The American heartland

Trev,

Let's be honest - the citizens of Iowa did not vote to approve same-sex marriage - the court ruled the ban was unconstitutional. That is a big difference. California did vote to amend their constitution to ban same-sex marriage, and the courts just upheld the amendment, 6-1. So, maybe things aren't changing as fast as you think.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May you live in interesting times, often referred to as the Chinese curse.

It was the first of three curses of increasing severity, the other two being:

May you come to the attention of those in authority.

May you find what you are looking for.

Brent, I don't think things are changing fast. But they are changing. To slow for me, too fast for you, perhaps! ;)

And so, I stand by my point: BSA will need to change on this issue or else it will become increasingly marginalized by society, as have been whites-only clubs, and no-Jews clubs.

I was wondering when someone would bring this back to life. The thing about the California ruling that I found interesting is that while the court upheld the Proposition, it also preserved the gay marriages that had occurred in the interim. In that sense, it upheld the legality of gay marriage while allowing the people to define what marriage is. I think California is a long way from being finished with this issue and I predict that eventually, the majority will do exactly as Trevorum predicts.

"Its one thing to put up with neighbors with deviant behavior, its another thing to hand your kids over to them for a weekend."

Could you be more specific? Who are you talking about? What deviant behavior? "...put up with..." what does that mean?

Wow, Trevorum! I just realized that you're right about that. I am fairly certain that I'm not Eagledad's neighbor but I DO have a neighbor who considers me and my family to be 'deviant' because (Horrors!) we have black people as friends (He's the fundamentalist minister down the street with the confederate flag). Not only have we had black children over to our swimming pool and for birthday parties, worse, we've actually allowed our children to spend the weekend with friends who happen to be black. It is becoming clearer now.

Well, I guess he'll just have to put up with it.

This just in, from the Virginia Democrat Primary for Governor...

A gun-rights proponent (Deeds) wins against an environmentalist and same-sex marriage advocate (Moran).

"Moran, a former House Democratic Caucus leader from Alexandria, went further to the left than his rivals in appealing to liberal activists. He pledged to oppose new coal-fired power initiatives and reverse the state's same-sex marriage ban."

"McAuliffe and Moran had criticized Deeds for legislative votes supporting Virginia's broad pro-gun laws, actions popular in rural areas that don't play well in cities and affluent suburbs."

"After Deeds surged in polling near the end of the campaign, his opponents attacked him for Senate votes against closing a loophole in state laws that exempt gun show sales from background checks. Federally licensed gun retailers must perform the checks."

Yes, this was the Democrat Primary, not the Republican...

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090610/D98NN9G00.html