The American heartland

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here are the actual words that came *out* of his mouth (emphasis mine):

"I think that freedom means freedom for everyone," replied the former V.P. "As many of you know, one of my daughters is gay and it is something we have lived with for a long time in our family. I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish. Any kind of arrangement they wish. The question of whether or not there ought to be a federal statute to protect this, I don't support. I do believe that the historically the way marriage has been regulated is at the state level. It has always been a state issue and I think that is the way it ought to be handled, on a state-by-state basis. ... But I don't have any problem with that. People ought to get a shot at that."

Seems pretty clear to me.(This message has been edited by DanKroh)

Dan,

About as clear as mud to me. First he says people should have the freedom to enter into any type of union. Then he says that freedom shouldn't be protected at a national level. Then he says it is a state issue. Then, he says everyone "should get a shot at that." What does that mean? Does it mean it should come up for a vote before the people of each state? Does it mean every state should allow it? Is he going to lobby for it in his state? If he thinks it is such a good thing, why doesn't he think it should be allowed across the country?

Brent, I believe that what you find unclear is how Cheney thinks that marriage equality should be implemented. And I agree, other than saying that he doesn't believe it should be done at the federal level, I have not seen any comments from him that illuminate how he thinks states should enact that equality.

But that doesn't negate that he supports (and has since at least the 2004 election) the fundamental right of same-sex couples to marry. His words on that are pretty clear, imo.

Now, now, Gern. Don't go putting words in my mouth, either. I didn't say Cheney was against it, I said his position wasn't clear. I may be combining the "what" with the "how" in saying he isn't clear, whereas Dan sees the "what" as clear and the "how" as unclear. Fair enough.

What I find telling is that one of the most iconic conservatives in the country, and flag holder for the Republican Party, Cheney accepts the concept of marriage equality because he knows a real, live homosexual (as opposed to illusionary stereotypes created by fear and hatred). I wish everyone could be so lucky as to have a gay or lesbian family member.

(edited typo of his name.)(This message has been edited by Trevorum)

Trev,

Not so sure why that should be considered lucky, but regardless, does a cousin count as family in your book? It does in mine, and count me among that group. That still doesn't change my mind on the central issue.

• 2 months later...

Ahh, this thread is a perfect example of why I have lost my faith in religion. Now dont go worrying, I believe in god. I believe that got created all we saw, but not in 7 days. He, she it, they started the whole pot boiling and walked away. I believe god has no influence on our daily life, and all religions are just mans interpretations of whats around us. There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is no divine intervention. Storms are just storms, floods are just floods, fires just fires, god has nothing to do with anything that happens. I gave been immeasurably happy since I realized this.

>> There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is no divine intervention. Storms are just storms, floods are just floods, fires just fires, god has nothing to do with anything that happens. I gave been immeasurably happy since I realized this.