Anyway to inform moderators of inappropriate content posts ?

Political beliefs are NOT quick and simple. That's the problem here. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is either a) selling you something or b) not very careful in their thought habits or c) an idiot.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I want different things in my secular governments or a Boy Scout forum than in my religion. I want my government to promote liberty. I want my Church to crush heresy with all its power."

So, Scout, you are all for freedom in government but not in the name of "your" (G)od. Somehow that does not suprise me. Your claims of open mindedness collapse at the front door to your church. Why does the atheist or agnostic person have less rights than you? Exactly how can you or your church define heresy so clearly? Was Martin Luther a heretic? He certainly was to the Roman Catholic church of the 16th century. Yet all of modern day protestantism rises from his dissent.

You claim that Stalin was a member of the Communist party. I think that he was a member of the Stalinist party that surrounded him and kept him in power in a "communist" country. Communism may very well be a political system that could work, however, the world has never seen a proper experiment in communism. Communism, of course, would indicate that all are equal and no one is better than anyone else. All of the so called communistic governments so far have been governments of despots and dictators, where some people were more equal than others.

C'mon guys. Can't you see he's playing you like hooked bass, hungry and after his idiotic blathering? You talk back and he enjoys the pull on the rod, carefully taking up line a bit at a time and prolonging the sensation. Then when you tire, he lets some of that line back out to play you again. You're wasting time with this.

Well from a Roman Catholic perspective, obviously Luther and his followers were heretics. . .

Why shouldn't a church do its best to stamp out heresy? It is like saying a state can't fight treason or sedition. I am sure you don't believe that.

I am not sure why people make excuses for communism so much. The system is so impracticable that it always degenerates into what we saw in the old Soviet bloc states every time it is tried. Its an idea that requires coercion which requires force. Lenin himself believed that the it was the duty of the party as the "vanguard" of revolution, to set up a "dictatorship of the proletariat" to bring about the vision.

But perfect communism is the perfect government. The Early Christians, lived in such a system. They took care of each other leading other to proclaim "see how these Christians love one another". The wealthier took care of those less fortunate, the driving force for the those who took, rather than gave, was to work towards a day when they would be giving as well. Those who had wealth were the first to demonstrate Servant Leadership, they took care of each other, don't say Pure Communism doesnt work, it has worked, just not recently.

TheScout: "But how do you quickly and simply describe a person's political beliefs?"

I've been participating the last two days in a thread over at Hannity.com where the original poster asked if Libertarians have a real ideology or are just folks who want to stand on the sidelines and complain. He also believes their beliefs fall more in line with liberals than conservatives. He has some false pre-conceived notions of what a libertarian is. The libertarians on the forum have been schooling him and kicking his butt at every turn as to what they believe and stand for. He is still arguing with them about what they are. That is the problem with labels. Here are people who identify themselves as libertarians and clearly state their views while a guy with a preconceived and incorrect notion is trying to demonize them and make them fit his definition. A large part of the devolving of political discourse in this nation is the move to sound bite politics and labels.

its so much easier to hate "treasonous scum" than to take the time to understand an alternative view point. It is so much easier to say, "You Liberals/Conservatives are all a bunch or morons and mental midgets" then it is to communicate with someone who has a different belief system. It does require both sides are open to discussion and the current talking points are eschewed and thoughts must be put in ones own words and not phrases or labels exhaled.

SR540Beaver, that line wrapping thing only seems to happen when I'm doing the fishing. ;) For real fish, that is. Which is why, a long time ago, I invested heavily in lure components so I make my own. They cost a small fraction of the commercial ones and sometimes work even better. Fun to make too! I bought a lot of stuff from Cabela's, Herter's and also from Netcraft. I'm not sure if Netcraft is still around like it was. Sadly, Herter's went away with mail-order WMDs. :)

I mostly made spinners, variations on the Mepps line and Rooster Tails, things like that. Even silver-plated my own blades for a while...kinda dangerous though. But I caught a lot of fish. And I ate well.

SR540Beaver,

So the problem isn't with the label itself. It was a guy who didn't know what a libertarian was.

OGE,

Of course what you say is true. Labels make communication is quicker. I have been saying that the whole time.

But you obviously do not think we should hear and understand all points of view. This is how this all started. Not listening, and in fact blocking a homophoboic, anti-semetic, pedophile.

So I guess what you are saying is we should only listen to people whose views fall within your acceptable range of discourse?