Pack, I've read enough of Trevorum's post to know when he has tongue planted firmly in cheek. And I also understand your urge to keep the peace.

However, I am truly curious about bamasm's pov about what he thinks is the appropriate action to understand who Jesus is/was and what he is/was all about.

For me, I was raised in a Protestant Church (very actively), read and studied the Bible on a regular basis, and spent a great deal of my time in contemplation of the creative force in the universe. However, in the end, I decided that the kind of "personal relationship" with Jesus that is advocated by people of faith like bamasm was not for me. If he thinks there is something more I should have done before discounting this relationship, I would like to know what it is.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan, you are right. There is nothing else I can say, if you know what the bible says, and you have studied on these things, Your decision is yours. The only reason that I implied that statement about getting to know who jesus is, was due to the fact that he is a stark contrast to AtG, and Lugh. While I can respect anyones opinion, I am not trying to imply that you don't have an understanding of who Jesus is and what his message is, I am simply trying to say that it is your choice to do whatever you wish with that information you have. I can't say you are right or wrong. It is wrong to try to tell anyone what their eternal fate will be. As far as religion goes anyway. Im done.

• 2 weeks later...

"But here's a story. I went to Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's parents' house a couple of years ago. My friend's brother called the family together before dinner to make an announcement. Seems his 3-year-old(!) daughter had "accepted Jesus" that morning, and he wanted to express his pride in her before everyone. Now, does anyone seriously believe that "accepting Jesus" meant anything at all to that 3-year-old other than that she said something that made Daddy happy? "

i'm so glad this was used as the example. i've not read further into this thread, but this same proud declaration by a 3 year old.... you've got people running around declaring that they've known from their earliest memories that they were gay. this is accepted as "fact", yet a child making any sort of religious declaration is considered preposterous?

"i'm so glad this was used as the example. i've not read further into this thread, but this same proud declaration by a 3 year old.... you've got people running around declaring that they've known from their earliest memories that they were gay. this is accepted as "fact", yet a child making any sort of religious declaration is considered preposterous?"

Bulldogblitz, first of all, I didn't say "any religious declaration", but in particular, an acceptance of Jesus as their savior. I know many adults who don't really understand what that means, but a 3-year-old does? I could imagine a 3-year-old expressing a conviction that some sort of sky god created the world; she is looking at the evidence around her and thinking "someone made this", ok, that's developmentally feasible. But a concept as abstract as salvation of the soul by a man whose last appearance was 2000 years ago? Not so much.

And yes, an adult (or near adult) who recognizes that even at 3, the seeds were there for homosexuality, is much, much different than a 3-year-old declaring "I'm gay". See that much, do you? I gotta tell you, 15 years into my practice, can't say I have. Controversy aside, evidence does point to homosexuality being a state that is determined prior to birth. Please point out any evidence, any at all, that indicates the same about religious convictions.

Sorry, but it's imitation and parroting, nothing more.

That's an interesting point, Dan, and one I hadn't thought about before. I always sorta assumed than when a Hindu died, he would be reincarnated as Hindu again. But maybe not. Say, that means any of us could have been Hindu in a past life!