"I've always wondered, what's the devil look like?"

"Well, there are all manner of lesser imps and demons, but the great Satan hisself is red and scaly with a bifurcated tail, and he carries a hay fork."

"Oh, no. No, sir. He's white, as white as you folks, with empty eyes and a big hollow voice."

So go ahead with the pitchfork (or in this case hayfork), but make sure the jacket is white. Maybe put a smiley face on the back - those big black eyes look kinda empty to me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

This is a very interesting post, alot of good points have been brought up, so I will toss my pennies in. I am a chrisitan scoutmaster, all the scouts that come in to the troop know this, not by my words so much as by the way I deal with them on a regular basis. I am duty bound by the great commission to let everyone know that Jesus was their sacrifice, so that they can recieve the gift his blood provided freely. I cannot make that decision for them, nor can I force them. All I can do is tell them that I am not worthy to be in gods presence, even now as a confessed christian. However I have jesus who intercedes for me, therefore I can communicate directly with god, I don't have to confess to a priest or pray to an inanimate object to accomplish this.You, me and everyone else sin and have sinful thoughts on a daily basis, so how can we deal with this? We can't because we are wrapped in it. Does this make you a bad parent? no! Does this mean you are doomed to hell, no, does this mean that you don't have to answer for all the sin in your life, absolutly not. We will be accountable for our lives.To sum it up the kid was out of line for telling you that, but we know Jesus was a real person who lived on this earth, we know he was crucified for basically speaking out against religion. So he is who he said he is, or he was a crazy insane person, that is upto you to decide. Lastly your relationship with Jesus is a personal relationship, I believe the bible is truth, and it guides me into understanding Gods will for my short life here on earth. my relationship with Jesus gives me peace about what happens eachday here, and what happens afterward. As far as scouting is concerned I will do my duty to god, my duty may be different than yours. And I live in a glass house with cracks everywhere, I definitly aint gonna be throwing stones!! sorry for the long post.

I think as a society we're so polarized that we're getting used to being polarized and oppositional.

There's a lot to be said for the old adage of not talking about religion and politics when in company. There's a lot to be said for maintaining conversation at a polite and respectful level. Amity is a nice thing to have among people.

The intolerant strain of Christianity always puzzles me. It seems that the more restrictive their interpretation of their faith is, the more determined they are to be uhappy. Eventually they'll get to the point of demanding a minimum number of pixels be used in displaying the upper case 'G' in the one true font. If you use Arial or italics, you're going to Hell!

But I'm sure that the conversation in Hell among well dressed 'Bad Parents' will be much more interesting.

;^)

If your relationship with Jesus is the same as Alexander the great, that is entirely your choice. However to know who Alexander the Great is you probably read about him in a book, or saw a movie based on his life. Have you given Jesus the same courtesy?

I don't assume that you are not a chrisitan because you don't know. I am only saying that if you want to compare Jesus to Alexander the great, or Lugh the celtic sun god or whomever, at least find out what the guy was about. These are 3 very different people and things, what really gets me is how Jesus was a Lamb his time here, but at the very meniton of his name people get so defensive. The whole point was, find out who the real Jesus is, don't base it on what you hear, or see from TV, or some sunday morning church goer. No one wants to be told they are not as great a person as they think they are, heck I don't like it. I might be a great person when compared to you, or vice versa, but when I compare myself to Jesus I see how truley pathetic I am. Jesus told us not to look at each other for perfection, because we all fall short. Look at him. so whether or not you choose to follow christ is not my business, I have my own house to worry about.

Take for example we have religion A and religion B

A states that a person must do XXX to reach salvation, while B states the direct opposite of XXX.

Which one is right?

If you cannot reach a concrete no doubts conclusion, there is no point to do either.

"What if you pick wrong, and are just making him madder?" - Dewey Wilkerson

"I don't assume that you are not a chrisitan because you don't know."

Ok. Then can you please explain how this statement: "if you want to compare Jesus to Alexander the great, or Lugh the celtic sun god or whomever, at least find out what the guy was about" doesn't assume that I (or Trev, who is quite learned on religion in my experience) don't know what Jesus "was about"? If you are advising others to find out about something, doesn't that assume that they *don't* know about it as an implied condition?

Also, can you please explain what you think is the appropriate way to "find out what the guy was about"?

"These are 3 very different people and things, what really gets me is how Jesus was a Lamb his time here, but at the very meniton of his name people get so defensive."

Not defensive here, but I will say that there is a big difference between Jesus and his followers. And I'm just curious whether you follow your own advice about getting to know what a religion/religious figure is all about? (And referring to Lugh as "the celtic sun god" says to me, not so much.)

"The whole point was, find out who the real Jesus is, don't base it on what you hear, or see from TV, or some sunday morning church goer."

Again, can you be more specific about how you think that should be done?

When Trevorum made that statement, was I the only one who saw the twinkle in his eye?

OK, This has almost nothing to do with either Alexander or the other guy, no matter what flavor he comes from. It was a statement of Trevorum's relationship to them and that has almost nothing to do with differences or similarities between Alexander and whoever. It DOES have to do with Trevorum's view of them.

And there is only ONE person who understands that, Trevorum.

Enough already.