Defending the Scout Oath

I agree that "physically strong" is affected by the other factors that you mentioned. I never said they weren't. I'm not taking those into consideration in this discussion because they aren't defined by the Oath and the entire focus of this discussion is what the BSA includes specifically in its definition. Since none of those other things that you listed are in that definition, they have no place in this conversation.

You just can't pick & chose what factors you want to consider! And just because they aren't specifically defined in the oath doesn't lessen their importance. An overweight slob is just as physically unfit as a two-pack a day smoker!

This whole thread is someone pushing an agenda, not a debate on what physically strong is.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You just can't pick & chose what factors you want to consider! And just because they aren't specifically defined in the oath doesn't lessen their importance. An overweight slob is just as physically unfit as a two-pack a day smoker!

This whole thread is someone pushing an agenda, not a debate on what physically strong is."

I agree that obesity and all of those other things are not examples of being "physically strong". I never said that any of those things that you mentioned are less important in a discussion of what it is to be "physically strong". I never said that once. The reason I never said it is because THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS DISCUSSION IS ABOUT. Again, if you'd like to start a discussion about what it is to be physically fit, go start one. This discussion is about the BSA's definition as it is stated in the Boy Scout handbook.

" Would a moderator consider please putting the pig out of its misery? The squealing is tiresome."

I would not argue with that actually. Talking to a brick wall has become very tiresome. A discussion is no longer a discussion when only one of the participants is paying attention.

I agree OldGreyEagle. I have been very persistent on this thread but at least I am paying attention to what the thread is about. When I say "talking to a brick wall" I mean talking to someone who refuses to discuss the actual topic and keeps throwing up points that are not relevant to this discussion.

Part of the definition quoted in the original post.

Take care of your body so that it will serve you well for an entire lifetime.

You seem to want to focus on why smokers & drinkers are still allowed to be Scouters & homosexuals aren't. To me that's pushing a personal agenda since you are ignoring the fact that big fat slobs are allowed to be Scouters yet that doesn't fit the definition of "physically fit" either.

Who wants pie?

"You seem to want to focus on why smokers & drinkers are still allowed to be Scouters & homosexuals aren't. To me that's pushing a personal agenda since you are ignoring the fact that big fat slobs are allowed to be Scouters yet that doesn't fit the definition of 'physically fit' either."

Amazingly, you are still completely missing the point. This entire thread is based on how the BSA defines "physically strong". The BSA doesn't include "big fat slobs" in their definition so that is why I'm not talking about that. Get it?

I really don't know any other way to explain my point. I don't think I've ever had to restate something so many times in one thread.

Amazingly, you are still completely missing the point. This entire thread is based on how the BSA defines "physically strong". The BSA doesn't include "big fat slobs" in their definition so that is why I'm not talking about that. Get it?

Sure it does! Right here!

Take care of your body so that it will serve you well for an entire lifetime.

A big fat slop isn't taking care of his/her body so it will serve them well! Get it?

There's ice cream to go with that pie! Butter Brickle~