Some folks are still optimistic

And some folks along my life's trail thought I was a pedantic sonofagun.

You, Sir, may have every pedanticism trophy I've ever learned.

I guess no one ever taught you this simple sentence: "Politics is the art of the possible."

I shan't be posting further in this thread. Don't worry about responding to me.

If actually taking seriously the oath to defend the Constitution is pedantic, than I am guilty.

Good thing nobody told Gen. Washington politics is the art of the possible. He might have never dared to fight the greatest empire in the world with an army composed of the militia from a bunch of divided colonies.

Optimist: The glass is half full.

Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Engineer: The container was not designed so as to optimize the volume to contents ratio.

Scouter: Is the source of the water safe? Pass the iodine tablets.

Regarding the legality of Lincoln suspending habeas corpus:

"The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion, the public safety may require it."

Looks legal to me.

Wow, didn't take long for this thread to get off track. Oh well, we takes what we gets.

SSScout - have always heard the glass half full/empty/wrong size thing, but I love the addition of the Scouter's view of the glass.

Its in Articl I, Section 9 - Limitations imposed by Congress.

Seems an odd position for you Merlyn to think the President has the unilateral right to suspend habeous corpus?(This message has been edited by TheScout)

• 3 weeks later...

Neither are president nor our congress really has the support or know-how to create a feeling of optimism in the country right now, it resides in the realm of the indivdual citizen to create, and promote, optimism. It seems to me that, with national behind us or not, the scouting movement should look into how they can help their fellow man to create the needed optimism to pull the country into a position where change, which ever direction change goes, can be produced.

I have long felt that our government no longer can achieve the same goals that it once could. As with many others, I am tired of the continueing discourse between one politcal group towards another blaming each other, or a third party, that these events, which can not be truly fortold, our the fault of actions or inactions of that group. What should be discussed, and what i assumed, wrongly, would be addressed by the campaign promises of both candidates, is the dismissing of partisanship and re-invention of the descision that occur into something that is more beneficial.

I learned in kindergarten that "The Blame Game" is both childish and in-effective. we all make descisions and have to live with our consequences. These consequences are a high umemployement rate and a continueing failing economy. Now we can either sit back and stare at the sky crying "Why, Oh Why?" or we can do something about it.

I personally would rather do something about it. I was taught in the scouting that if I wanted something, then i go out and get it however legally I can do it. Both my wife and I graduated from college and then lost our jobs within three months. For a while I was jobless and finally had to get a minimum wage b to support my wife and myself. She continues to look for a job. Am I content? No. I do not blame anyone for the troubles that I have, I just try to change them the best I can. The US should do the same.