What are you doing to "Obama-proof" your future?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Narraticong

As soon as Obama took the oath the Republicans in Congress were already planning how to block any bill he proposed and they did just that. They had no interest in coming to some kind of compromise so Obama pushed on with what he promised to do and many Republican legislators cried like babies that they were never ask to help, which is plain bull sh@#.

The truth is that many of these same legislators wanted the package to be their way or no way and never considered being bi-partisan in the first place. The problem is most Republican voters get their facts from Fox News or Rush who contort the facts into a manufactured network of plain lies, like it or not. Try listening to the news on PBS for a change you might be surprised when you hear the truth for the first time.

SR540Beaver: I'm not a regular, but I am a long term, occasional visitor. I swooped in here like a seagull checking out a MacDonald's parking lot for French Fries and whoa! ... here was this gang fight in progress! The president bashing just gave me a chance to voice one of my pet concerns. The notion that elections really don't change the Congress that much, because of the careful establishment of district boundaries, something a newpaper editor, friend of mine mentioned to me several years ago.

Where are we, page 6 of comments? Pretty soon the bashers will whittle themselves down to just a few gladiators who will eventually exhaust themselves, that's the usual pattern anyway.

Well, what a dust-up! I think this is a great example of the hidden diversity in this legion of scout leaders that is often depicted as monolithic and blindly conservative. The debate so far has not descended into ad hominim attacks, which is great, but it has steered off topic, which is not. Obama-proof? thats a silly repetition of Cramer's nonsense (who not too long ago extolled the virtues of some now defunct companies like Lehman Brothers). But, I'll play ball. I, like most of the the country, will NOT be making more than 250,000 or even 200,000 dollars this year, I will continue to buy American, I will continue to volunteer in my community, and I will continue to patriotically support my country and its elected officials and citizens. I have a geothermal heating sytem in my house and have a truck that runs on fryer oil. I reduce, re-use and recycle. If I am asked to do or spend more so that we all can be better off, I will do so, so that we all can remain proud and strong and hopeful. This is the greatest country that has ever graced the face of this good green Earth, and it does not need knuckleheads (ok now I've gone ad hominim) tearing away at our public officials in order to preserve their own portion of the American dream, while others see it slip away. The spending has been going on for a good long time, and must be paid for. So... my version of Obama-proofing is to make sure I am out in front leading, not in the rear fretting.

Oh... and Dick Morris? he is a political hack, spin-doctor or strategist, take your pick of titles. He's not an economist, accountant, or even particularly gifted with numbers. Be careful where you get your facts!

BadenP, take a deep breath, slow down, and once again go back and read my earlier posts. You will find I am not a Republican and have no use for their tactics any more than I do for those of the Democrats. I believe both parties are equally to blame for the mess we are in.

But you do an adequate job of making my point. Mr. Obama claimed his administration would be different. Bi-partisan? Not happening. No lobbyists in his administration? The exceptions to the rule keep growing. No pork? I don't see Mr. Obama taking the tough stance and getting out his veto pen. He is very quickly proving to be no different than his predecessors. Maybe his intentions were good...maybe. But he is not making good on the promises he made.

As to listening to PBS for truthful news, that really gives me a chuckle. As a matter of fact, I do listen to PBS every day. Along with local AM radio. I also read USA Today, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and both major metro dailies in my city. One is left leaning, one is right. I watch ABC, NBC, Fox, CNN, and MSNBC. You see I am somewhat of a new junky. I guess it comes from having a BA in Journalism and working in the newspaper business for over 25 years.

So, maybe it's a crazy idea, but I tend to listen to stories from all sides. Then if it interests me, I do a little of my own research. In the end, I may develop my own opinion on a subject.

I am a conservative, but not a Republican. I am against abortion, but equally against the death penalty. But I will hang on to my guns and use them against those who threaten deadly force. in other words, I make my own decision on each issue. Nobody on either side of the fence makes my decisions for me.

Be careful how you judge those you don't know much about.

Badenp wrote: The problem is most Republican voters get their facts from Fox News or Rush who contort the facts into a manufactured network of plain lies, like it or not. Try listening to the news on PBS for a change you might be surprised when you hear the truth for the first time.

I love it when people make such wide-based assumptions about other people. I'm conservative, have been all of my life. I very rarely watch Fox News or listen to Rush(I am almost never in the car during Rush's show). Listening to NPR and network news (primarily NBC because their affiliate has the best local news), I maintain conservative views. If anything, listening to the liberal commentators on NPR, and the biased news in the mainstream media (NPR does have the most unbiased news, they just have liberal commentators), maintains my conservatism, because I understand well how the other side thinks. The thing is, Obama is a politician, just like the rest of them. He made promises that he had little intent to keep, and has his own agenda, which isn't necessarily (sp?) the best agenda for all of us.

But Hops thats the way our political system has always been in this country, from early on.

Even in times of economic hardship instead of coming together politicians always bickered along party lines, heck it took WWII to break us out of our last major economic depression.