What are you doing to "Obama-proof" your future?

But it has become clear that by bipartisan cooperation, Mr. Obama means "The election was in November, we won, now get over it".

Yah, I think yeh have to look deeper. What was the quote from one member of da Republican caucus yesterday? Somethin' to the effect that they believed President Obama's outreach was genuine, but Pelosi was the one railroadin' the legislation.

That's fairly typical behavior by the old hands when a new president comes to town. I think a big test of Obama's leadership is goin' to be how he stands up to the wingnuts in his own party. If he chooses to be like Bush and just plays to his wingnuts he'll finish broken and despised by 70% of the country. He's got to pick his moment and his issue, but sometime soon he's got to use the big stick on Speaker Pelosi's head.

Da Republicans bein' rational and responsible partners would help give him the leverage he needs to do that. If they go all foamin' at the mouth opposition he'll have no choice but to deal with the Speaker in order to get anything done.

That's why this loud Limbaugh-style tribal chest-thumpin' is bad for the country, and bad for conservative issues in general.

Beavah

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is if Scout, Brent, and Nattirong are typical of the Republican party of today its no wonder Obama carried the election so easily. Anyone who thinks Rush Limbaugh is some kind of hero obviously doesn't have both oars in the water. The Repubilican party is dying on the vine, no real leadership, no real vision for the future, and constiuents who are so out of touch with reality its laughable. So is the Republican party doomed without some major changes, to quote their current party leader Sarah Palin, "You betcha!", lol.

Actually Obama has done a few good things for me. I never had called my Congressman or Senators before, now I have them on speed dial. I think part of it stems from his promise to bring change to how Washington does things. There is nothing worse for anyone to face than high expectations, and Mr Obama set the bar pretty high for himself.

I hope things work out for Obama, because that means it works us for us as well. I do still hear Hilliary's comment in my head about how patriotic Americans have a right to debate any topic that they disagree with anytime they wish and that its not unpatriotic to disagree with any Administration. I want to hear debate, to hear different views on what should be done. It would also help if there was a few different views on what should be done. We have the Democrats view and then the Republicans saying no that's wrong. But what are their alternatives? I am sure they have them, how do you find out about them?

Anybody for a New Political Party? The Citizens Party? based on commonsense and Traditional American Values. Of course first we will have to define what that means, see you in a decade or so

Beavah;

Do we start with a ruler or yard-stick; or do we need to go to the two x four? Surely most of you are aware of the balky mule, the farmer, and his new bride. So, should we consider that kind of treatment for most of our representatives?

Well, BadenP, you'll have to add me to your list, because I trust Rush Limbaugh's ideas way more than any Democrat I know. That doesn't mean I follow him blindly, it just means that I agree with his conservative viewpoints. If I didn't agree, then I wouldn't listen to him.

By the way, I laugh when I hear people say that Rush is the voice of the Republican party! He is very disgusted with the Republican party right now. Rush stands for conservative politics, not necessarily the Republican party.

Getting back to the original post, my husband and I are still spending, so we are doing our part to help the economy. We will not, however, buy big items on credit, as Obama suggested. We only pay for what we can afford right now.

I am concerned that the stock market has plummeted some 2,000 points since Obama took office. I wish he would do something to inspire confidence instead of constantly talking about gloom and doom. What happened to his platform of Hope and Change?

As usual, anytime a group of folks starts talking about national issues, the "discussion" denigrates into, accusations, finger pointing, and back and forth statements like, "Well, (YOUR GUY) did such and such!" and "You mean like when (YOUR GUY) did this?" Here's a newsflash: BOTH sides have failed. Both sides have done things which deserve condemnation. BUT, how can we address what is happening RIGHT NOW, if we feel threatened by discussion and shut it down! We are, indeed, doomed, unless we stop acting like a bunch of high schoolers.

Hey, the original question was "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO "OBOMA-PROOF" YOUR FUTURE?"

I think we can agree that we are being legislated into very drastic changes. Government owned businesses (Yes, big George was part of this), incredible spending on nonsense (like millions to Acorn), incredible bailouts to corporations which should have been liquidated, and no way to pay for this but ruin the lives of future generations.

Frankly, I don't give a hoot what "W" or Clinton, or Reagan did. I'm facing a government out of control, Right now. It defies the very principles of freedom and personal responsibility upon which our nation was founded.

What am I going to do? Everything I can. I will earn less, and cut back spending, gladly. I will not have my money supporting these types of government activities and mores. I will have my representatives on speed dial, too. I will organize local, like-minded people to take on this nonsense....perhaps join the "tea party" movement. Above all, since all politics is local, I will be getting very involved in questioning candidates of both parties, and even some third parties.

Most of all, I will diligently work, more than I have in the past, " to secure the benefits of liberty to" my children and our posterity.

As usual, anytime a group of folks starts talking about national issues, the "discussion" denigrates into, accusations, finger pointing, and back and forth statements like, "Well, (YOUR GUY) did such and such!" and "You mean like when (YOUR GUY) did this?" Here's a newsflash: BOTH sides have failed. Both sides have done things which deserve condemnation. BUT, how can we address what is happening RIGHT NOW, if we feel threatened by discussion and shut it down! We are, indeed, doomed, unless we stop acting like a bunch of high schoolers.

Hey, the original question was "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO "OBOMA-PROOF" YOUR FUTURE?"

I think we can agree that we are being legislated into very drastic changes. Government owned businesses (Yes, big George was part of this), incredible spending on nonsense (like millions to Acorn), incredible bailouts to corporations which should have been liquidated, and no way to pay for this but ruin the lives of future generations.

Frankly, I don't give a hoot what "W" or Clinton, or Reagan did. I'm facing a government out of control, Right now. It defies the very principles of freedom and personal responsibility upon which our nation was founded.

What am I going to do? Everything I can. I will earn less, and cut back spending, gladly. I will not have my money supporting these types of government activities and mores. I will have my representatives on speed dial, too. I will organize local, like-minded people to take on this nonsense....perhaps join the "tea party" movement. Above all, since all politics is local, I will be getting very involved in questioning candidates of both parties, and even some third parties.

Most of all, I will diligently work, more than I have in the past, " to secure the benefits of liberty to" my children and our posterity.

BadenP, I think you need to go back and read my post a little closer. I didn't mention Rush Limbaugh at all. I don't listen to him. I also certainly did not show support of the Republican party. Actually, I have little use for the current leadership of that party. What I did say, was that Mr. Obama made some grand promises of change during his campaign. But what it appears he wants to deliver is more of the same old, tired, Democratic tax and spend. Although he promised a bipartisan government, he either can not, or will not, deliver on what he promised. The key point is that he made a promise that will likely go unkept.

Whether they are Republicans or Democrats, our country can not continue to exist with the current style of elected leaders. Our federal government needs to go back to no more than the basics needed to maintain the union. There is no reason for the Federal government to big "Big Brother".

Rejoinder to MileHigh: use of term "Bushwacker" disrespectful, but I think someone already called you on that. And when you blame everything on GWB, or when someone else blames everything on Bill Clinton for example, their argument loses steam. Sure, Presidents undertake different initiatives, good and bad, but they only serve 8 years.

If we want to look at who is responsible for creating bad policy, and failing to correct bad policy, I say it is not the (relatively) transitory office of the President. Good and bad policy does not start and stop on Inauguration Day.

Example: (and this is not a Clinton bash) it is just an example: Clinton signed the repeal of the Glass-Steagal Act which allowed banks to expand into the area of investment banking. (One of the sponsors in the Senate was Phil Gramm, R-TX). This contributed to the current economic crisis. Other examples can be found of legislation, policy, etc., hatched during a past presidency that came home to roost in unexpected ways under a later administration.

It is an evolving process -- and who presides over this process more so than ANY one President? Congress, that's who.

Everybody should take a look at the tenure of those in the House and Senate and decide whether or not THIS crowd deserves the criticism that is routinely heaped on past and current Presidents.