Most of the time,I'm the only person in my car, which is just as well, as most of the time there isn't room for anyone else. It is full of Scout Stuff.

Her who must be obeyed, does at times get a little upset, and fails to understand how anyone can tote so much "Junk." (Her words.)

The "Junk" does vary, by the time of year, and what I'm doing at the time. But at times stuff just gets put in there and never sees the light of day again. There is still a case of Coucil calendars, in the trunk since the corn roast, just in case someone didn't get one.

Has Scouting taken over your trunk? What great "Junk" do you have hidden in your trunk?(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a GREAT post. I got to tell you my trunk is still full from my last campout last October. It was all Spic & Span when we broke camp,(so I thought) so I was sure all was cool. Well, last week my son went digging through the trunk of the car for a bow saw and found it. He came in the house and asked me if I knew the cooler was still in the trunk. I told him sure, I cleaned it out the morning we left camp, it is ok.

Well, he informed me that he looked inside of it and it is a thriving life form that is unidentifiable. I told him we will have to clean it and soak it in bleach. He said, no, you do not understand, this life form is intellegent enough to defend! They will attack if you try to bleach them. I had to see this!! Well, he was right. We have scheduled a firing squad for the cooler on Tuesday morning.

Thanks for your post, ahh there are a ton of great camp stories out there. I love them.

ASM1

AHH the joys of being a mini-van driver. Right now there is a flipchart, poster case, New Leader Essentials training kit, Youth protection training kit, 100' extension cord, powers strip, 8 different resource manuals, and my trainer's goody box. Been running around doing training course last couple of weeks. Oh yea there are some things for work too.

Bob

Car? hmmm do we have a car? OH!

You mean the "Scoutmobile?"

OK, I confess, what the heck does a single mom of one need with a huge VAN? to haul STUFF, of course! my little olds was just too small!

My van reflects two loves - Scouting and my Golden Retreiver. you can always find evidence of both in there! LOL!

I have a "trunk" in my van (er, Scoutmobile) a large plastic trunk that holds maps, jumper cables and the two hitches, (we have different sized hitches on the troop trailers - so I need two different sized hitch balls!) and the like - in addition to essentials like extra rain ponchos, couple of sweatshirts, spare shoes, old towels, leashes (long and short) fishing gear, a handfull of ropes, a small tool box, an extra jackknife, two mess kits and extra cups - and miscellaneous other stuff, depending on the season. I have to have a "trunk" to put it all in, or it would be rooling around under my feet, loose!

Troop equipment is in constant motion - in and out - everything from Klondike sleds to Dutch ovens. I also manage a fundraiser for the troop - collecting used ink carttridges for recycling - so I always have flyers (to give out) and often old cartridges in there. And then theres the "big grey bag" - a carry all with all my papers, handbooks, and the binder of stuff I am currently working on, etc.

I'm pretty good about getting stuff out, but more always goes in to replace it!

LauraT

What brought this to mind, was that I had stopped at Staples, on my way home from work to buy two new flip charts. These had to go in the trunk.The back seat has my laptop, and lcd projector, a box of puppets, a box of hats, (Mickey Mouse ears and the like.)

Someone needs to find LauraT7 and marry her! What a find, a true Scouting woman. I am extremely fortunate to have a wife that is almost more dedicated to Scouting than I am. When ever I feel threatened I wave my Wood Badge Beads at her. That will not last long, she just finished her ticket. I am a lucky guy!

ASM1

A CAR -- Naw, I gotta a Scout TRUCK. It's 4x4 Dodge Clubcab. It used to be ugly but now its a work of outdoor art. My older Scouts call it the "Mud Hopper" while my new scouts call it the "tank". I've got woodtools, rope, water hose, scout manuals, canned goods on the back bench. My girlfriend prefers my truck to her nissan car. I wonder why? My first outing was three days, after I bought the truck 7 yrs ago, to a remote family beach. Family, friends, and scouts all freaked out when I drove up in a brand new truck. Part of the road to get there goes thru three feet of salt water. Adventures with Mud Hopper could make a good book.

Matua

Ropes for lashing, ropes for teaching. Extra wire, wire cutters, pliers, flashlight, fisrtaid kit are under the drivers seat. Two clothes hangers under the floor mat for the times that keys get locked in vehicles. During the winter, a portable alcohol stove with food and water. Extra blankets, pillow, coffe cup, spare condiments, and emergency fire starters (road flares). Tarps, kindling, wilderness survival instruction kit. Spare matches, tent pole repair kit. Two rolls of duct tape, one role of shiny tape, one roll of bright orange tape, candles, two candy bars that just have to be alright. Most of all of this is behind the truck seat or under the passenger seat. Oh, extra TP just to be prepared.

And the usual amount of 'that is where it went'.

Currently, the back of my mini-van is full of FOS supplies,and I found an old slyabus stuck in beside the back seat the other day. I have a sleeping bag, 50' power cord, training kit, posters, two flashlights, American Flag, first aid kit, complete auto kit, heater unit, and occassionally can get some other people in the van besides me! LOL!

My '91 Ford Aerostar has been our scout car since cubs. It is still in service with a Venturing Crew (now over 200 thousand miles). It holds 7 + gear. Standard equipment - first aid kit - ax, bucket, shovel, saw - boots, hard hats - mre's (dry food), water can - blankets, extre cloths - tools, flares small cones - paperwork. Add scouts and were off!

My '91 Ford Aerostar has been our scout car since cubs. It is still in service with a Venturing Crew (now over 200 thousand miles). It holds 7 + gear. Standard equipment - first aid kit - ax, bucket, shovel, saw - boots, hard hats - mre's (dry food), water can - blankets, extre cloths - tools, flares small cones - paperwork. Add scouts and were off!

My van has been used for scouts for the last 3years and right now it has inside it: a volleyball/badmitton set, a flag pole and folded flag (for the Webelos citizen pin requirements) 2 tents, 4 sleeping bags, a campstove, treatbox for the den, box of craft material, my scout books, my son's scout book, rope, rain gear, flashlights and a box of glowsticks leftover from the last campout. The van also carries my entire den to the meetings,

Like Laura, I'm a single mom with one kid and a minivan. The Saturn Station Wagon would not get us to camp with all our stuff.

Last week I found a ream of paper that was much needed for the paper airplanes at the Scout Show.

I have the cooler (mine isn't growing anything, I checked), a plastic tote box with some tools in it, a handheld U.S. flag, the Den advancement wall chart, some wooden dowels, small orange trowel for digging cat holes, a compass, a pinewood derby car, copy of the latest scout catalog, a tin of popcorn (better get that out before warm weather), and of course duct tape and rope.

I'm the person everyone comes to and asks "Do you have ......" The scary part is that I usually do!

I drive a 1993 Toyota Tercel 2 door. Often at campouts I lose it in the rows of vans, minivans, Excursions, suburbans, Navigators, etc. Its always had room for what I wanted to haul. (then again, I am a simple man)

Once while comming home from an event I told my son maybe I needed a 4 wheel drive vehicle. He asked why since my little car has seen more off the road action than any SUV on our street. It may be small, but it always has zip lock bags full of lint for a fire starter, various ropes for knots or lashings, and enough food to sustain 2 adults and a small boy for 3 days as long as they didnt mind eating remnants of old french fries, curly fries, onion rings, hamburger bun crusts, etc.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)