Pro Life requires personal responsibility

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoutldr wrote: So, my opinion: You want to be "obsessed" and have 14 kids under the age of 8 with no husband or visible means of support? NOT A DIME of taxpayer money should you get. Maybe your Dr will help you raise them. Maybe the pro-lifers will send you checks to help out with your God-given right. Yeah, good luck with that.

Most pro-lifers (at least the Catholic variety) are also against in-vitro fertilization. This is a non-issue, except as a divisive way to slam pro-lifers. Not very scoutlike, IMHO.

Besides, these frozen chosen could be saved simply if a sufficient number of women would just 'adopt' them and bring them to term.

Yah, if only da laws in the several states would allow it, eh? Most don't. The law would rather see the embryos destroyed as unwanted property, experimented on as lab animals, or harvested for body parts/stem cells than actually adopted and allowed to become someone's children.

And we have been strugglin' to put some genies back in bottles, eh? Since Nagasaki there have been no atomic weapons used in anger. It's becomin' taboo, unthinkable to most people. Poor philosophies and da promiscuous ideas of an individual culture do die, or at least wane.

We have the technology to harvest organs from unwanted orphans, eh? That "genie" was let out of da bottle ages ago. We just choose not to.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Did we incinerate alive all those Japanese civilians, men, women, and children, out of anger? Did we do that?

Edited part: "The law would rather see the embryos destroyed as unwanted property, experimented on as lab animals, or harvested for body parts/stem cells than actually adopted and allowed to become someone's children."

H'mmmm, I didn't hear that from the law. Did the law say that to you? Where? When? I was under the impression that the law did not 'prohibit' those things but that, collectively, WE choose to do it. Or am I wrong?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Those children will starve if they are waiting for the Pro-life groups to sweep in and offer to take care of them.

Why would Pro-life groups get involved? This isn't a pro-life issue! It is a mental health issue!

Did we incinerate alive all those Japanese civilians, men, women, and children, out of anger? Did we do that?

Aw, packsaddle. Now you're descendin' to Merlyn's level. Nitpick da wording when yeh can't address the argument.

Thesis: New technology is a magical genie, that once released in society can never be checked.

Refutation: Mustard gas. Atomic weapons. Yeh can never quite eliminate the freedom of choice of the wicked to use such things, but you can effectively check 'em by law and social taboo and threat of retribution.

Counter-Argument: You used the word "anger" (as a common colloquialism) for "in war", nyah-nyah. :p

Doesn't just apply to weapons, eh? I expect law and social taboo will eliminate a whole class of financial derivative instruments (yet another "genie") in da next few years. Only you irrational scientist types seem to believe in unstoppable magical genies. ;)

Beavah

Beavah, I always address arguments, I don't nitpick to avoid arguing. Arguments require using proper terms, otherwise you just get meaningless word salad.

Mustard gas was used in the Iran-Iraq war in the 90s, and possibly since then, so I don't think it's a good example of something being 'checked'. Mustard gas is a lot easier to make than a nuclear weapon, so it's much harder to control.

But yes, you can certain try to "control" people with retribution, especially when you have someone like TheScout who knows exactly what god wants.

"packsaddle,

I doubt you care, but I do claim to know God's will."

Sounds like you're claiming to know what god wants right there.

Addendum: It looks like you may have meant to type "don't"; if so, I retract my statement.(This message has been edited by Merlyn_LeRoy)

If this California woman is the same one I'm reading about in the news:

The mother is married.

She took fertility treatments, but did not plan on having 8 children.

The woman's husband will soon be returning to Iraq to serve.

With the sad state of the press, I'm not sure what to believe when I read the papers these days.

Two conflicting reports in the Atlanta press:

"Suleman, a 33-year-old single mother, already had six children, ages 2 to 7 when she gave birth to her octuplets on Jan. 26."

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Octuplets.html?cxntlid=thbz_hm

"They confirmed that their mother now has 14 children. Making things a little trickier, the woman's husband will soon be returning to Iraq to serve."

http://www.wsbtv.com/health/18600993/detail.html

The good news is she appears to be set to write/ have written a book about her experience. Maybe she will generate enough income to take care of her kids.

Beavah, am I missing something? Here's what you wrote: "Since Nagasaki there have been no atomic weapons used in anger."

That's where I got the word from. But it was just a question? Yes or no?

"Nitpick da wording when yeh can't address the argument." Coming from someone with a legal background?...c'mon.....do I really need to say it?

"New technology is a magical genie, that once released in society can never be checked."

I'm not sure what you mean by 'checked' but if you meant 'eliminated', I agree. Its application might be suppressed but the technology will remain, just like that really embarrassing cell-phone photo that someone took of Paris Hilton. We may not be applying those weapons but they still exist and plenty are ready to continue the incinerations and poisonings. And the way they work would survive even if they were totally destroyed.

In the case of medical procedures associated with abortion, that technology is diffuse (known by many in many places) and simple. It always will exist somewhere and availability will always simply be a matter of money.

Technology isn't just hardware. It includes the knowledge of how to do things.