Pro Life requires personal responsibility

RE: the recent birth of Octuplets.

Mother gives birth to 8 babies through In Vitro sperm donor

Mother already had 6 kids under the age of 8, also by IVF sperm donor.

Mother is unwed.

Mother lives with parents who just filed bankruptcy.

Grandmother states "daughter is not evil, just obsessed with children"

Some moron Doctor implanted 8 embryos contrary to accepted medical practice

As far as I know, IVF is not covered by health insurance (my sister's wasn't), so how was it paid for? Or did the Dr do it just to make a name for him/herself?

So, my opinion: You want to be "obsessed" and have 14 kids under the age of 8 with no husband or visible means of support? NOT A DIME of taxpayer money should you get. Maybe your Dr will help you raise them. Maybe the pro-lifers will send you checks to help out with your God-given right. Yeah, good luck with that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Scoutldr,

I agree, personal responsibility is also part of the equation. Part of that personal responsibility is pregnancy within the context of marriage. Fertilization therapy is a Godsend for some parents, but the quantities we see in Ms California? I don't think either side of the debate calls that right.

BROAD responsibility, with each layer taking its part (personal, family, church, community, State, Nation) requires a certain pullback from the broad attitude that "anything is right, anything is OK, I can do whatever I want."

It's one of the reasons I'm involved in Scouting.

This mother made several tragic mistakes. First, in having so many children that she already can not afford (and with no father in the picture.) Next she sought fertility treatment to have MORE babies that she could not afford! The moral thing to do now would be to give all eight of those babies up for adoption. Of course, she won't do that, because, as her mother said, she is obsessed with children. That woman needs psychological counselling. I am appalled that there are doctors who are willing to enable women like her.

Laws will never be passed that force irresponsible women to be sterilized, but maybe incentives could be given for over-productive mothers who voluntarily choose sterilization. If I were rich, I would offer financial support for all 14 children if the mother would undergo sterilization.

I'm afraid that some people romanticize the notion of having multiple babies at once. I love the show "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" (they have twins and sextuplets) but even they tell people, "Do NOT try to have multiples!" People have actually written to the Gosselins asking how to go about having multiples!

So the answer to the mom's lack of responsibility is to let her kill her babies?

"Maybe the pro-lifers will send you checks to help out with your God-given right. Yeah, good luck with that."

I do not think it is funny to mock God given rights.

What this woman did was the exact opposite of the stereotypical welfare ward who just fools around getting knocked up then casually aborting them at the free clinic.

Now I'm hearing from the same folk who oppose public funding of abortions to deny any funding to help the product of this woman's misguided quest for the celebration of life. It ain't the kids fault.

I have two neices who were abandoned babies, near a factory entrance in a big city. I helped with the adoption of one of them. They were abandoned because of an attempt at government control of reproduction.

It IS possible for government to mandate sterilization of certain individuals under certain conditions. This has happened in the USA in the past and it happens in other countries.

"In 1907, Indiana became the first state to pass a law permitting involuntary sterilizations on eugenic grounds; at least 30 states would follow suit. Many of them simply adopted a model "eugenical sterilization law," crafted by the EROs Harry Laughlin, which called for compulsory sterilizations of the "socially inadequate." By the mid-1920s, more than 3,000 people had been sterilized against their wills. These included the homeless, orphans, epileptics, the blind and deaf. Also sterilized were those who scored poorly on IQ tests, who were diagnosed as being "feebleminded."

http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/freedomline/current/in_our_opinion/un_sterile_past.html

And it can happen here again. One conservative talk show host advocates that welfare mothers (he refers to them as 'brood mares') be served their own ovaries stir-fried as their last meal at government expense. There are plenty of people who agree.

I read today that the embryos she was implanted with were from a previous batch. She could not bear the thought of destroying them and had no choice but to have them implanted. For those who prescribe to the life begins at conception, would she have been a murder or simple child abandonment had she chosen not to implant the remaining embryos? Are there adoption agencies to place abandoned embryos?

Not to mention all those other thousands and thousands of souls swimming in liquid nitrogen. TheScout, "playing God" or not, we're doing it anyway. How do you know this isn't what God wants? What makes you the authority on God's intentions? Besides, these frozen chosen could be saved simply if a sufficient number of women would just 'adopt' them and bring them to term. Southern Baptist men could merely make their wives submit.

What's that sound...a stampede for the fertlity clinics? Naaaah!

That genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back, folks. Women are donating and selling eggs the way men have been with sperm for years. Add a little Pyrex and the right procedures and wham-bam-thankyou-maam, lots of multiple births in ever-increasing success. Alternatively, if they aren't adopted but someone flushes the embryos or if someone refuses to pay the power bill, will it be the gas chamber for those serial killers and mass murderers?

Never happen. Get real, people.

TheScout, in response to your statement about magic: What's the difference between a miracle and magic? Explain to me how I can tell the difference.

P.S. it's a rhetorical question, I already know the difference. Wanna know what it is?