Logging on BSA owned land -- is this a problem?

"It must be a beautiful day in CA since hardly anyone is commenting on today's article, unlike yesterday's."

Not sure what that article was, but National has posted both their response and the Chief Seattle Council's on the National site. The CSC's is very interesting, as it points out a deliberate and false presentation.

While I haven't entered the political fray of left vs. right wing Scouting positions, I have to concede that this media article, together with a recent surge of "investigative" reporting from other similar news sources, does foster the belief that there is an assault on the BSA and its values.

The thing to note is the idea that (as mentioned in Nationals response, paraphrased) "the voluneers direct the affairs of the Council". Such is not always the case, as we all know. When was the last time your COR attended the Council Meeting? Does Owassippee ring a bell? Chicago Area Council? If the insiders don't let the outsiders know about what is portended, then things happen that maybe shouldn't or at least should be discussed a little more.

I believe the modern term is "transperancy".

I wonder if the newspaper is bothered by the fact that 575 participants, staff and National Forest Service worked from June 7th thru June 14th of 2008 to cut down trees as part of ArrowCorp5? BSA thru the Order of the Arrow partnered with the National Forest Service to provide service for conservation projects at five locations around the nation on federal property. The Mark Twain Forest project in Missouri saw the above mentioned folks cut down 285,000 invasive Eastern Red Cedar trees over 134 acres. The work exceeded the original plans, resulting in restoration of a natural glade necessary for sustainability of the environment, as well as wildlife in the area. The Forest Service renamed the area "Arrowman's Glade" at a closing gathering.

I guess conservation only counts if you don't make any money off of the trees removed. I must have missed the articles covering the outrage of removing these 285,000 trees from the wilderness.

Just thought I'd mention that this topic prompted the BSA to be featured as the "Alpha Dog of the Week" on the Colbert Report this week (Wednesday or Thursday, can't remember which one). He even featured the Outdoor Code.

Oh Vol-scouter, you are in for a treat. I hope you have a sense of humor and understand satire.

Colbert did the press dinner a few years ago for Bush, the one they lampoon each other. His speech was a riot, but perhaps a bit close to the bone. Not too many laughs from the head table. He was never asked to do it again.

• 1 month later...

LOGGING HAS GONE ON FOR YEARS ON SCOUT PROPERTY THE PROBLEMS ARE MANY BUT PUT BASICALLY AT ALL LEVELS OF SCOUTING WHAT IS TAUGHT IS NOT PRACTICED IN AND EFFORT TO KEEP THE LOGGING IN THE BACKGROUND ATTEMPS TO LOG IN THE OUT AWAY PARTS OF SCOUT PROPERTY IS DISCOVERED A FOOD FOR FOTTER AND THEN EVERY THING IS PUT ON HOLD. sCOUT WOULD LEARN ALOT ABOUT BEST LAQND MANAGEMENT PRACTICES AND THE RERWARDS THAT CAN BE REEPED IF THEY LOOK TO OUR BROTHER SCOUTS IN GERMANY AND HOW THEY AND THEIR COUNTRY PERFORM. pUTTING OUT FIRES WAS THE WORST THING EVER DONE AND NOW EVERY YEAR THOUSANDS SUFFER FISH HABIT IS THREATENED (DESTROYED CHECK OUT CALIFORNIA ..TOTAL FOREST MANAGEMENT PRACTICES AT SCOUTING PROPERTY AND ELSE WARE IS BOTH THE SAFEST AND MOST ECONIMICAL AND BENIFICIAL TO ALL ESPECIALLY IF THE SCOUTS ARE INVELVED AND THE "PROFESSIONAL SCOUTERS" WOULD READ AND LEARN FROM THE MERITBADGE PROGRAMS AND PUT THEN TO PRACTICE PENNEY WISE AND POUND FOLLISH IS COMMON THE NUMBER OF "MATURETREES DAMAGING AND OR DESTROYING SCOUT PROPERYTY AND BUILDINS IS MORE NUMERIOUS THEN MOST IN SCOUTING KNOW OR LEARN ABOUT. tHE LOSS OF HISTORICAL BUILDINGS IS TROUBLING DISRUPTS PROGRAMS IS COASTLY AND CHAGES TRIDITION IF NOT DESTROYING IT. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME SCOUTS WERE TRULY TRAINED AND INGAGED INFIRE MANAGEMENT? YOU PROBABLY CAN'TREMEMBER BUT i CAN AND NUMERIOUS TIMES PROPERTY AND BUILDINGS AT CAMP WERE SAVED AND CONTROLLED BURNS AND VEGITATION MANAGEMENT INGUAGED THE SCOUTS AND THEY ABOVE ALL LEARNED THE RESPECT FIRE AND NOT JUST FEAR IT. a PROFESSIONAL FIRE RESCUE AND EAGLE SCOUT iT WAS THE EARLY APPLIED TRAINGING AND USE OF THE SKILLS AS A SCOUT THAT BECAME MY PROFESSION AND WHEN I WENT TO WORK MY SCOUTING SCILLS AND TRAINGING PUT ME YEARS A HEAD OF MY PEERS. SOME ONE OR THING WILL CONTROL NATURE AND IF MAN DOES NOT PREFORM NATURE WILL CORRECT OUR MISTAKES AND IT ALLWAYS DOES AND WE PAY THE PRICE AND ITS HIGHT IN MANY WAYS.