Pro-choice quandary

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to the idea that we develop a society where a 15 year old girl would never be pregnant in the first place? Again, not that she never had sex (although that would be nice)

Here we are planning punishments or behavior for after the fact and not much is being done on preventing the situaton in the first place.

OGE I have to agree with you. Of course, you started with the premise that some teens will engage in behaviors, regardless of what they're told/taught. Some people won't even acknowledge that much and so feel we'd be best off just denying any kind of precautionary education to kids at all.

Now there was one group whose take on abortion was that it should be "safe, legal, and RARE." I'd like to think that most people would have some common ground on that last part, it is certainly the easiest part of the whole abortion discussion to address, and yet that's also the part of their slogan that tended to get the least attention. In fact, to hear some folks talk about it, you'd think that this group was PROMOTING abortion to every teenage girl in America or something.

(By the way, I find this whole discussion about executing teenage girls absurd.

Gern,

I was short on time when I left my last post.

I don't think Jesus would execute a 15 year old girl that had an abortion. I also think that if she was arrested for this and hadn't repented for it, Jesus would let the authorities do what they do.

Lisabob,

If a pregnant women is shot & killed & her baby dies, the shooter will be prosecuted on two counts of murder. What makes abortion different? Abortion is murder.

Not that I wouldnt ever want to put another fly in the ointment, but whay all the talk about the 15 year old girl. Unless this is the second time in history, there was another person around when the egg got fertilized. What responsibility does the father have in these matters? The father has responsibility in the matter also and all we hear is talk about the mother. It does take two to tango,

Why isolate the girl?

The 15 yr old girl is the example for how sticky criminalizing abortions can get.

If abortion = murder, then anyone who gets one must be treated as any other premediated murderer. Death penalty in most states. Are we ready to execute teenagers and mothers with small children?

And what about those sperm donors? Accomplices?

Does every miscarriage become a crime scene?

Gern,

When is abortion wrong? Is there a right and wrong? When do YOU say life begins?

I believe we should err on the side of life. When in doubt, let them live. I am pro-death penalty but I live in a state without the death penalty and am not lobbying for it to be added because we have life without parole. I believe we should not withhold food and water (not saying it cannot be refused but should not be withheld).

Ed, I'm not sure how I feel about those types of laws, but my understanding is that they tend to apply only toward the later part of pregnancy. In contrast, most abortions occur very early in pregnancy. It seems that the law recognizes the difference between a near-term viable being and a microscopic clump of cells.