Pro-choice quandary

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excommunication no longer lifts a Catholic from the obligation to attend Mass. However, he/she can not participate in any form.

You mean to tell me if a Catholic is excommunicated they can attend mass, but just have to sit there? They can't kneel or stand or sing or recite any of the prayers or take communion or join the CYO basketball league or go to bingo? And what if they go to a Catholic church two boroughs away? How will they know? Is there picture sent around to all Catholic churches in the world? And what if they were absolved?

I think the participation that is barred is receiving the sacraments. Of course one is still to kneel in the presence of the Lord during the consecration and such.

Sadly, some such people continue to attend Mass and receive the sacraments. The same problem with people receiving the Eucharist without repenting after a grave sin.

From the Baltimore Catechism

LESSON SIXTH: ON SIN AND ITS KINDS

51. Q. Is original sin the only kind of sin?

A. Original sin is not the only kind of sin; there is another kind of sin, which we commit ourselves, called actual sin.

52. Q. What is actual sin?

A. Actual sin is any willful thought, word, deed, or omission contrary to the law of God.

53. Q. How many kinds of actual sin are there?

A. There are two kinds of actual sin-mortal and venial.

54. Q. What is mortal sin?

A. Mortal sin is a grievous offense against the law of God.

55. Q. Why is this sin called mortal?

A. This sin is called mortal because it deprives us of spiritual life, which is sanctifying grace, and brings everlasting death and damnation on the soul.

56. Q. How many things are necessary to make a sin mortal?

A. To make a sin mortal three things are necessary: a grievous matter, sufficient reflection, and full consent of the will.

57. Q. What is venial sin?

A. Venial sin is a slight offense against the law of God in matters of less importance, or in matters of great importance it is an offense committed without sufficient reflection or full consent of the will.

58. Q. Which are the effects of venial sin?

A. The effects of venial sin are the lessening of the love of God in our heart, the making us less worthy of His help, and the weakening of the power to resist mortal sin.

59. Q. Which are the chief sources of sin?

A. The chief sources of sin are seven: Pride, Covetousness, Lust, Anger, Gluttony, Envy, and Sloth; and they are commonly called capital sins

Yah, hmm... Hard cases make for bad law, eh?

I consider abortion to be an abomination and murder, eh? But I really dislike dogmatic stupidity when the Christ would instead exercise compassion.

Faced with a choice between the right to life of the young abused girl and the right to life of her children, who would dare to condemn a person for whichever choice they made? Certainly not the God that I know and serve. Even the civil law recognizes as justifiable a homicide which is reasonably believed to be absolutely necessary in the defense of the life of another.

Beavah

Well your view would matter . . . but you're not the successor to St. Peter as the head of the Church on Earth or guided by the Holy Ghost.

Nah, you're right. I'm just a Christian of conscience who believes I can read the words of the Lord without havin' 'em interpreted for me by a special class of human. He was pretty clear, eh?

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. ... For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - Luke 6:37-38

Of course He went on after that with some additional words which seem apropos. ;)

B

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

"Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Phillipi, he asked his disciples, 'Who do men say that the Son of Man is?' And they said, 'Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.' He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?' Simon Peter replied, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.'"

Matthew 16:13-19