Respectful disagreement

Although I agree with Rush Limbaugh's hopes of Obama's policies failing, I disagree on how he worded it. I disagree with most of Obama's policies, so of course I do not want those policies to succeed. Rush is an entainer, and he goes for shock value. Those of us who listen to him know that he has nothing against Obama as a person, but has much against him as a politician. If Obama held the same conservative values as Rush, then Rush would be one of his biggest supporters.

My children know that I am very disappointed to have such a liberal president, but he is my president, so I will respectfully disagree with him, rather than be rude and disrespectful.

Obama will find, however, that others will not show him the same respect. Instead, they will show him the same respect that the Bush haters showed Bush.

Do you realize that if Obama fails, America fails. Bush dug a pretty deep hole. Obama is our only hope on getting us out of that hole. The republicans are out of power. We tried their ideas, they not only didn't work, they made things worse. Americans have chosen a different direction for America.

I say, give Obama a chance. He can't do any worse than Bush.

If at any time in American history, the country needs to come together to solve our problems. If the stimulus package vote was an indicator, the republicans will not be part of the solution.

If Obama fails, there probably won't be an America to rebuild.

Gern, I respectfully disagree with you. True, Bush allowed spending to get out of control, but that doesn't mean that Obama's policies are the answer. Bush did not stick to a conservative playbook. If he had, then this country would be better off. Obama's stimulus package has too much pork. I am very disappointed in him. I did think he would honestly try to do better than he has so far. Maybe he will surprise me and look at conservative policies eventually. If he does, then he will have my full support. I don't care if he calls himself a Democrat, if he would be willing to use conservative measures, then he will have my support.

I can't quote exactly, but I think he did say, "I hope Obama fails." Those of us who listen to Rush regularly, know that he meant he hoped that Obama's policies fail. But, being the entertainer that he is, Rush chose to go more for what I call "shock value." I am not an entertainer, and I try to be kind, so that is why I would have worded it differently.

I wonder if President Obama didn't have the idea that if the stimulus bill contained everything including the kitchen sink, there would be more areas on which to compromise - knowing a lot of compromising would have to be done to bring the Republicans on board. So far, all I've heard is that the money was removed for resodding the National Mall. Yeah, the Republicans in the House all voted no. Could it be because the Democrats weren't willing to listen to anything the Rs had to say? Sure seemed that way to me when I was watching some of the Committee debates on C-SPAN.

Perhaps instead of having chats with the Republicans in Congress, Obama should spend some time with the Democrats and reintroduce them to the idea of comprise.

There was pork in the original bill. But in reality, all stimulus packages are pork. If it creates jobs and jump starts the economy, who cares what label it has. Some was removed to compromise with the Republicans. Obama met for two hours with the Republicans. That's two hours more than Bush met with the Democrats for 8 years. What did Obama get from the other side? Bupkis. I think it sent a message to the Dems and Obama that they don't need the Republicans. They had their chance, but they let it pass. Obama reached across the aisle, but the Republicans refused to unclench their fists.

As for Bush wandering from conservative values...did the entire Republican caucus follow him? They gave him everything he wanted. Everything.

No, the entire Republican caucus did not follow President Bush. That is why so many of us tried to get a conservative on the Republican ticket. Democrats helped the moderate Republicans get McCain nominated, but that was not the choice of all Republicans. I was disappointed with McCain's nomination, but still felt he was more conservative than Obama, so I voted for McCain.

Even though I disagreed with Bush's overspending, I still am thankful he kept our country safe. I can criticize him in some areas, but support him in others.

Hopefully I will be able to support Obama in some areas, too.

There was bipartisanship on this bill - bipartisan opposition.

Republicans didn't like the $335 million for STD prevention (how does that create jobs?) or that stimulus checks can go to illegals. I'm glad my representative voted against it.

Yah, I'm amused by da "Bush kept the country safe" refrain that's become the last gasp apologetic for his disaster of a presidency.

No evidence of that. Fact is, da al-Queda nutjobs are an odd bunch, and only manage to pull off somethin' in the U.S. about every 8-10 years. Sayin' Bush kept us safe after 9/11 is like sayin' Clinton kept us safe for the rest of his term after the WTC bombing. Ain't nothing but an amusing fiction.

I don't think it was just da borrow-and-spend economics that told a sad tale of the last administration, funscout. It was the micromanagement of the military, the abuse and nationalization of the Guard and reserves, tax cuts during a war, willful strategic errors, puttin' stupid cronies in positions of important responsibility, odd and unnecessary violations of law. The man was a disaster. I voted for him, I supported him, I'm not a "Bush hater" but I have to be honest, eh? If in 8 years Obama is able to undo 2/3 of the damage without creatin' too much more, I'll consider his presidency a resounding success. And I pray he succeeds.

I once used to tune into Rush occasionally. No more. The man is just a shock-jock and an angry soul with little sense of Christian values. Even where I agree with him on policy I think he's shallow, and does more harm than good. He's one of da biggest forces behind the Republican party becoming the party of the uneducated.

I reckon our next job as conservatives is to flush this lot of pseudo-republicans out of congress. We need a smart, focused opposition to keep the more nitwitted congressional dems in check. But we don't need most of the current crop of dumb partisan neo-cons.

Beavah

gern,

Don't forget that the hole was already six feet deep back in 2000. Bush just dug it a few feet deeper. The digging started back under Billy boy. Deregulations, pushing the lending institutions to start offering up loans to people with questionable fianances and income.

I didn't vote for him, but I'm willing to give Obama a chance. Now we are looking at what will end up being a trillion dollar bailout package before it is all said and done. So much for controlling spending, and the national debt. What a nice syaty to the new administration.

Let's see if the administraion brings around some real reform. Start with the Welfare system. If you using/playing the system, reuse to work,stay home and have babies to get more govermemt money, etc, your out. If you loose your job that you truely worked hard at and paid into the system, then you are entitled to unemployment and or welfare.

Let's do as Israel does. Everyone exiting high school has to offer up two years service to the government, no exceptions if your an Israeli citizen. Your getting trained, paid, and doing something worthwhile.

A friend sent me an email last week about taxes. In the last 100 years, the government has instituted 50 taxes against us. Before that, we had one of the largest middle class in the world, and were the most prosperous nation on earth, had no national debt, and mom could stay home with the kids. What happened to us? POLITICIANS!!!

Obama, let's see what you can do, but don't help bankrupt the country while doing it.

We still have one of the largest middle classes on earth, are still one of (if not THE) wealthiest nations on earth, and these days we moms are not forced into straight-jacket "wife and mother" roles, thank goodness, but have many more options to develop and use our many talents beyond the living room walls if we so choose.

As for who started digging this hole? Well now we can push that back and back and back, at least to Reagan, probably well before him too. That's kind of beside the point though. Playing the blame game sure as heck isn't going to get us out of the hole. You do agree we're in a hole, don't you?

I love it when I'm sent scrambling for the Dictionary, but "syaty" is one that even Mr. Webster hasn't heard of. ;-)

Yes, Bush did a lot of things that I didn't agree with...starting with invading Iraq. If a country needs "regime change", it's up to that country's citizens to make it happen. As a DOD employee, I can tell you that Rumsfeld was universally hated...he was an idiot and egomaniac. As a scientist, I disagreed with the ban on stem-cell research. What can be wrong with discovering cures for diseases? As a bread-winner, I liked Bush, because DOD spending was high, meaning I had a job. Can't say I will still have one a year from now.

As far as Mr. Obama...I am not a liberal in that I espouse personal responsibility. I find "wealth redistribution" to be abhorrent. Giving "tax rebates" to illegals and those who don't pay taxes is idiotic. Call it what it is..."welfare". Giving me a check for $600 didn't stimulate anything, nor will another "one-time" handout. If you want to make me happy, cut my tax rate. Bring back some deductions, such as making medical expenses or loan interest on a new car 100% deductible. Get out of the business of providing millions of $$$ for digital TV converters (sheesh!) and paying price supports for tobacco farmers. Is there no common sense in government any more?

I, too, listen to Rush when I can, and he did explain his remarks. He does not agree with Obama's "plan for America" and believes it is wrong. Therefore, he hopes Obama fails in carrying out those plans.