The Price and the Promise of Citizenship - Obama

Words that reflect Scouting values from our new President during his inauguration speech:

"For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.

Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends - hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism - these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

This is the price and the promise of citizenship.

This is the source of our confidence - the knowledge that God calls on us to shape an uncertain destiny."(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good words. I hope and pray we all continue to live up to 'em.

What was really kind of embarrassing was watching Chief Justice Roberts fumbling the oath of office. Poor guy must have been nervous!

B

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

I guess our southern television stations show different programming. I thought it was Obama who flubbed the oath, and Roberts helped him through it.

From the AP:

Separated by a Bible used by Abraham Lincoln at his first inaugural, Roberts asked Obama: "Are you prepared to take the oath senator?"

Obama indicated he was, and Roberts started reciting -- and Obama repeating -- the 35-word oath that is prescribed by the Constitution.

But at one point early on, Obama paused, as if grasping for the next words. Roberts helped him over the brief awkward moment, repeating a few words to get Obama back on track.

He was then the first to congratulate Obama on his new job.

Brent,

Actually, Chief Justice Roberts messed up.

http://blogs.reuters.com/frontrow/2009/01/20/roberts-obama-jumble-presidential-oath-of-office/

WASHINGTON - It was merely a formality and its probably a few phrases that both Barack Obama and Chief Justice of the United States John Roberts have practiced several times, but the leader of the Supreme Court may have been just a tad nervous when he got one word of the presidential oath of office a little out of order.

Obama smiled slightly when he realized that Roberts, a fellow Harvard Law School graduate, misplaced the word faithfully during the oath. but the new president joined in the fun and repeated it the way Roberts initially administered it. (Lest we forget, in the Senate Obama voted against confirming Roberts to the high court. Last week Obama met with him and the other Supreme Court justices during a courtesy call.)

Here is how the oath is supposed to be administered: I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

And heres how it went:

ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama

OBAMA: I, Barack

ROBERTS: do solemnly swear

OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear

ROBERTS: that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully

OBAMA: that I will execute

ROBERTS: faithfully the office of president of the United States

OBAMA: the office of president of the United States faithfully

ROBERTS: and will to the best of my ability

OBAMA: and will to the best of my ability

ROBERTS: preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

OBAMA: preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

ROBERTS: So help you God?

OBAMA: So help me God.

Yep, I watched it on CNN. Chief Justice messed it up. Obama paused because, let's get real here, he new the Oath of Office. Don't you all think that anyone about to take the Oath of Office of the President of the United States hasn't memorized it backwards and forwards.

Heck, even I knew when the Chief Justice messed up.

Actually, when you listen, Roberts flubs it several times:

"I Barack Hussein Obama [pause] do solemnly swear...

that I will [pause] execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...

faithfully the presid - the office of president of the United States..."

I thought it was very human. President Obama stopped and waited at the first flub, but then went on to support his chief justice's modern interpretation of the Constitution's wording ;).

Beavah

(edited for gwd ;). Yeh know, GWD, in my first post I actually typed "Chief Justice Alito". Must be gettin' as old as Roberts :))(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Beaver - I also thought those words reflected the spirit of citizenship well.

Trevorum - EDITED: Sorry, I misread your question. Yeah, Biden would have been Acting President, at least until noon.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Doesn't it just specify that the terms of the old President/Vice President end at noon?

And it does say,

"Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."