Should the motto "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?

Currency?

I don't use it very much.(God doesn't get a mention on my debit card)

To be honest as long as it spends I don't care if it has the Queen, the Pope or Mickey Mouse on it.

With more and more States turning to gambling as a way to raise funds. I'm not so sure "In God We Trust" is really appropriate?

Eamonn

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could just destroy the federal monopoly on money to solve the problem.

Return to free banking. All banks can issue notes backed by bullion reserves.

This would crush government overspending and foreign adventurism as the government would actually have to tax to get its funds and couldn't rely on foreign loans and manipulating/creating paper currency.

We wouldn't have to worry about housing bubbles and such as easy credit would not be so easy to come by. Smaller amounts of credit will ensure only the best business ideas and most sound people would get loans.

What is the true value of the motto on the money anyways?

Is it to make the religious feel better about giving their money to the church?

Is it to make the non-religious reconsider their wayward ways?

Does it provide some defense against the old adage that money is the root of all evil?

Here's a novel approach: Sell advertising space on the money. Walmart, Sony, Dodge Trucks, McDonald's would pay millions to have the right to advertise. Tough times require innovative solutions. My kids school bus already sells space on the buses. Makes the wheels on the bus go round and round.

So while in McDonalds, I pay for my Big Mac with a bill that has printed on it, "This Dollar presented to you by the Burger King", I love the irony. I shall buy my Ford with money brought to you by, well at this point, any money has is brought to you by the American Taxpayer, not necessarily the American people.

if they can have the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, we can have a Fiver brought to you by Bob's Big Boy

Seems to me there are better places to spend tax dollars than altering plates - the term God is universal - not christian, not any other specific religion. If nothing else it is history. I find it hard to believe athiests really care - agnostics believe in something just not Mans defined version. I also don't see how this imposes others beliefs on anyone. I doubt anyone who uses cash thinks THIS IS BACKED by GOD.

Part of the reason to fight things like the motto on money is that either people say it's somehow not religious, and so it's fine to put up in public schools, or they point to it as justification for, say, putting their religious tenets in front of city hall.

I think the term, 'God', is not universal, at least not in application. While Christianity is the majority religion of the world, there are sizable chunks of humanity who follow creeds that do not worship 'God' but rather some other deity(ies) or none at all.

For this country the motto would better be, "InFlation We Trust", considering all the unbacked paper we're printing - and going to print. Maybe "In Ponzi We Trust" would be more appropriate.

Ed, your questions and remarks don't even make sense. I use currency with religious propaganda on it because I don't have an alternative. No, money shouldn't have religious propaganda on it, but that was done by religious fanatics like Rev. M. R. Watkinson and Salmon P. Chase, and president Eisenhower long before I was born.

Ed, Jews believe in God, but many if not most of them also believe that it is profane to write the name of God casually, especially on something as base as currency, at least, that is how it was explained to me by my in-laws.