Should the motto "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?

Here's your chance to let the media know where the people stand on our faith in God, as a nation. NBC is taking a poll on "In God We Trust" to stay on our American currency.

The choices are:

Yes. It's a violation of the principle of separation of church and state.

No. The motto has historical and patriotic significance and does nothing to establish a state religion.

Poll is still open so you can vote. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems with this type survey is that it limits your answers. How about a third choice? "Who Cares".

For those who wish to keep it there, just whose "God" are we talking about? My religious belief tells me there is only one "God". And He may be very different from what you believe. I can't agree with the popular axiom that "God is all the same as long as you believe in something".

I belief faith in God is a very personal thing. It is not a National identity. I also believe strongly that as Americans we have the freedom to believe in whatever deity we choose, or none at all. In other words, we have Free Will. As a Christian, I believe that Free Will has some dire consequences, but it is how we were made.

In the end, I would probably be more comfortable with that motto being removed from currency. All that matters is that our freedom to worship as we choose, or not at all, is preserved. Since the Constitution (thankfully) prevents us as a Nation from defining "God", I would just as soon leave his name out of anything involving the Government.

I agree with Narraticong. Who cares? It was an empty gesture that put it there in the first place. Same thing for "under God" in the pledge. Kind of like having one of those ribbon things on the back of your car. So easy to do, so easy to feel good about it. If it pleases the superficial masses so much the better.

NOW I GET IT!!!!!

Our soon to be President is always talking about "CHANGE". He didn't mean things would be different...He meant we'd solve the economic problem with collector coins.

Yes, "Get the whole set". Sell coins with religious sayings on the back. Picture of President Obama on the front. Of course, the sayings would prohibit them from being legal tender in California, Massachusetts, New York, and Illinois.

What a great idea!

Wait a minute... I can see where this is going...

Atheists will claim to be 'injured' by the phrase, so much so that they will sue and be awarded damages... um, but they would be awarded damages in US currency, with the phrase, so they will sue themselves and then....

oy vey... I'm getting a headache..