Hezbollah Marshals Scout Troops

I love to joke here as much as anybody. But i'll just remind everyone that someday soon those young people will be strapping on explosives and will be looking for you, me, and our allies around the world.

In the end, this is not really funny. Our own sons are being killed by people like this.

"But i'll just remind everyone that someday soon those young people will be strapping on explosives and will be looking for you, me, and our allies around the world.

In the end, this is not really funny. Our own sons are being killed by people like this. "

Did we enter into a war with Hezbollah that I missed orders for. I might want to check in with my former unit. They might be short manpower for this one.

Come on now. Not every muslim, or arab will be blowing us up. Do you research.

Yah, the Al Mahdi Scout Association is a member of da Lebanese Scout Federation. Those are real WOSM scouts, just like the BSA, eh?

I think there are two lessons. First, that Hezbollah, like Hamas in Gaza, has become a real social movement. We in the U.S. hear about their border clashes with Israel and such, eh? But what we miss is that these folks are providin' community stability, schools, youth activities, a social support network. They're fillin' a vacuum in an impoverished area. Best not to mix up Hezbollah with Sunni nihilists like Al Queda. They're very different organizations. Also tough to judge folks in a land that's been shaken by externally-funded civil war for generations. If we'd been invaded as many times in the last 40 years as poor suffering Lebanon, I reckon there'd be a more martial character to our youth programs too.

So these are fellow scouts, and they might well be the kind of example in their community we'd expect scouts to be. But da second lesson is to remember that there can be a dark side to Scoutin'. Khaki and fitness and salutes and neckers are good things for kids, but if we take 'em too seriously, they can be put to bad ends. Been done before, as others have mentioned. I reckon some U.S. scouters would be right proud of such a well-uniformed, respectful, obedient bunch of young men, eh? They even say that Al Mahdi Scouters go strictly by the book in their Scout programs! That's why we must also teach Friendly, Courteous, Kind, and duty to others outside of our own political party. And live that example ourselves.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Hezbollah is considered by the US and many other countries to be a terrorist organization. They have direct ties to many other terrorist organizations. One of their close ties was responsible for the bombing of the Marine barracks in Lebanon. I guess that was not your unit SctDad.

Hezbollah's leaders were inspired by the Ayatollah Khomeini. They get financial support from both Iran and Syria. Their goal is still the complete annihalation of Israel.

But you are right, Beavah, they have gotten smarter. While they bomb Israel during the night, they are building homes and schools in Lebanon during the day. They are starting "scout troops". They have become an integral part of the government. They are smart to gain social legitamacy.

But nonetheless, when you peel away the layers, they are a terrorist organization at heart.

I live in the Detroit area, SctDad. I have learned a lot about Muslims and Arabs. There are both Chaldean churches and Muslim mosques in my neighborhood. I am currently working to include that mosque in our Scout Walk with God next year. I would suggest you be careful of your accusations.

I don't really care what god (if any) a terrorist worships. But if he is killing my friends, he is my enemy. And you see, I have done my research. Hezbollah was, is, and will continue to be a terrorist organization. No matter how many "scout troops" they sponsor, no matter how many schools they build. It surely is all toward one purpose. And that purpose is evil.

From page 2 of the NY Times article:

While the Mahdi Scouts fall under the umbrella of the Lebanese union, they have no direct affiliation with the international scouting body based in Switzerland. Because of the Scouts reputation as a feeder for Hezbollahs armed force, the party has become extremely protective and rarely grants outsiders access to them.

Are they really members of WOSM?

So the dissertation begins.

Narraticong,

If you really have done your research, do you recall who the Lehi were? Or the Palmach, or the Irgun?

Or why did the British pull out of Palestine so hastily in 1948?

If you will read all of your history you will find that the Jews of Palestine have plenty of terrorist blood on their hands as well.

It is easy to decry terrorism and wage conventional war after the succesfull establishment of your state, but when they, like the current Palestinian Muslim did not have a state, yet desired one they resorted to terrorist tactics.

They were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of British soldiers who died in terrorist actions such as bombings of trains, assasinations, and vehicle-born explosives.