Dont Blame Me I Voted For McCain

53% of America wanted him, so we are about to get him, along with his ideas and policies. This is what he said two days ago:

"Few challenges facing America -- and the world are more urgent than combating climate change," he says in the video. "The science is beyond dispute and the facts are clear. Sea levels are rising. Coastlines are shrinking. Weve seen record drought, spreading famine, and storms that are growing stronger with each passing hurricane season. Climate change and our dependence on foreign oil, if left unaddressed, will continue to weaken our economy and threaten our national security.

Obama continues that "too often, Washington has failed to show the same kind of leadership. That will change when I take office. My presidency will mark a new chapter in Americas leadership on climate change that will strengthen our security and create millions of new jobs in the process.

"That will start with a federal cap and trade system," he says. "We will establish strong annual targets that set us on a course to reduce emissions to their 1990 levels by 2020 and reduce them an additional 80 percent by 2050. Further, we will invest $15 billion each year to catalyze private sector efforts to build a clean energy future. We will invest in solar power, wind power, and next generation biofuels. We will tap nuclear power, while making sure its safe. And we will develop clean coal technologies.

"This investment will not only help us reduce our dependence on foreign oil, making the United States more secure. And it will not only help us bring about a clean energy future, saving our planet. It will also help us transform our industries and steer our country out of this economic crisis by generating five million new green jobs that pay well and cant be outsourced."

The science is beyond dispute?? Storms getting stronger every year?? Cap and trade?? Five million jobs?? And this guy is supposed to be so intelligent?? Say goodbye to life as you know it! Energy costs are going to go through the roof! Taxes will follow! Energy rationing!! Now, let's hear from the person Obama wanted as his energy czar:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/opinion/09gore.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1

In the op-ed, Gore's goal is to commit producing 100% of our electricity from carbon free sources within 10 years. Ambitious indeed!

Gore feels that his plan will move us toward solutions to the climate crisis and also the economic crisis by creating millions of new jobs that cannot be outsourced.

Here is a breakdown of his five-part plan to repower America.......

1. Invest in incentives for the construction of solar thermal plants, wind farms and geothermal powered power plants.

2. Plan and construction of a national smart grid for the transport of renewable electricity from rural america to the cities, where most of the electricity is used. He says this will only cost $400 billion over 10 years, which probably even isn't a tenth of what it would actually cost, if we had the capability to do it.

3. Help America's auto industry to convert quickly to plug-in-hybrids to run on renewable electricity. He somehow thinks that electric cars will actually be able to produce electricity?!

"In combination with the unified grid, a nationwide fleet of plug-in hybrids would also help to solve the problem of electricity storage. Think about it: with this sort of grid, cars could be charged during off-peak energy-use hours; during peak hours, when fewer cars are on the road, they could contribute their electricity back into the national grid."

This guy is certifiable!

4. Have a nationwide effort to retrofit buildings with better insulation and energy efficient windows and lighting. I think we are doing this already.

5. The U.S. needs to put a price on carbon at home. Replace the Kyoto treaty and reduce deforestation. Put a price on carbon? Hello taxes and huge increase in energy costs!

I'm getting my "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For McCain!" bumper stickers!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting my "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For McCain!" bumper stickers!

Let me know when you find one, I need that, too! Scary four years ahead, folks.

Unfortunately, I think your responses are going to be along the lines of, "He can't possibly make it any worse than that bad, evil, nasty Bush." Just a guess. :)

You want energy efficient cars!!!! Make them COST Efficient for us poor people who are driving the old gas hogs and polution machines because that is all we can afford.

I live in a rural area, take my power, or any of the other country boys power and heads will roll.

If the seas are rising so high and there is a drought, here is a NOVEL idea. More desalination plants. Make the water fresh, and pipe it inland. Does it take the HS graduate to figure out these simple things. Does a 4 year degree in politics kill off common sense. Stop thinking "Spend money" and start thinking like a scout, how can I use what I already have.

I need one of those bumper stickers too, but for the other side, I need one that says, "is it 2012 yet???"

Yah, I'd be happy with any move toward a responsible energy policy, eh? There's a wonderful synergy here. Workin' to reduce global warming is also going to work to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, which in turn starves bad actors like Iran, Venezuela, and Russia. Improves our national security.

Yep, that's goin' to take investment, and that means taxes. Proper taxes, eh? Taxing the thing you want to reduce (pollution and energy use) instead of somethin' yeh want to increase (income). I'm willing to pay to make the U.S. more independent and secure. I'm even willing to pay to try to preserve the glaciers I visited as a youth so my great-grandkids can enjoy 'em as I did. Guess I'm an old conservative coot. Far better than paying to bail out auto execs.

Beavah

Uh, you do know McCain essentially supported the same type of cap & trade system don't you?

And is a full believer in the data that implicates human activity as a contributer to global warming.

So on this issue, it's doubtful you would see much difference between McCain and Obama. Other than McCain likely would have been more aggressive on accelerating the construction of nuclear power plants. Which a cap & trade system will encourage anyway.

SA

scoutingagain,

I am no McCain fan. I would have preferred a different candidate on the GOP side. I just chose the much lesser of the two evils, with the hopes that Palin would talk some sense into him. And I believe McCain would listen a little to his fellow Republicans who would at least question the science that is "beyond dispute". Obama is part of the chorus of the far-left environmental extremists. He isn't going to listen to anyone on the other side.

Beavah,

Be careful what you wish for. The Depression provided plenty of what you describe - less energy used, less polution, less dependence on foreign oil. It won't do much for the glaciers, seeing how that is beyond the scope of man. But there is some good news - the Alaska glaciers are growing.

http://www.physorg.com/news145187972.html

If you think man is causing the melting of the glaciers, then should we also give man credit for making them grow?

More change a-coming. Wasn't it Sheryl Crow who said we only need one square of toilet paper?

Experts call for end of flushing toilets on World Toilet Day

November 19, 2008

AS the world celebrates World Toilet Day today, sanitation experts have called for the end of the flushing dunny to save water and provide fertilizer for crops.

Leading health advocates have called for the use of "dry" toilets which separate urine from faeces and remove the need to flush.

Speaking at the recent World Toilet Summit in Macau, World Toilet Organisation founder Jack Sims said the concept of the flushing toilet was unsustainable.

Mr Sims said a culture where people flushed their loos but disregarded the thousands of litres of wasted drinking water each year was one of sanitation's greatest challenges.

"This 'flush and forget' attitude creates a new problem which we have to revisit," he said.

New toilet tax proposed

There have already been calls by Australian experts to reduce the amount of water wasted through toilet flushing with a proposed new toilet tax.

Adelaide University's Water Management Professor Mike Young said the tax would encourage people to take shorter showers, recycle washing machine water or connect rainwater tanks to internal plumbing.

"Some people may go as far as not flushing their toilet as often, as the less sewage you produce the less the rate you pay," Professor Young said.

So, I guess we will all be adopting European bathing habits before long. I can see it now, "Kids, go flush all the toilets, our dinner guests have arrived."

I place individuals who find it unbelievable that human beings have had a massive detremental effect on global climate change in the same category as those who disbelieve carbon dating, and the moon landing.

In a stunning developement it should come out any day that Obama killed JFK, he eats babies for breakfast, and plans on outlawing Christianity with a massive Bible burining on the front lawn of the White House.

I remain hopefull that the tinfoil hat will protect my head as I have been informed that the sky is offically falling

Ry

Flushless Urinals. hey check out what the Plumbers Union did to that idea in Philadelphia

Actually, if we start the "Don't blame me game I voted for...", how do we move forward as a country? It was the same after the 2000 election as well. I was told by an union acquaintance, "he is your president, he is not mine". I didnt know we could make that disctinction. OK, Obama's not my choice, but he is my president. The first one I may actually email and phone, look at me, change is possible, I am ready to let him know how I feel

"There have already been calls by Australian experts to reduce the amount of water wasted through toilet flushing with a proposed new toilet tax"

I'm confused about how one can connect Obama's stance on global warming with a tax being considered on another continent.

Ry

Ry,

Didn't you listen to Obama? He isn't just going to change America, he is going to change the world! This type of tax will probably be in the next Kyoto-type treaty, which Obama will be the first to sign. This will only be the first of many.

While I have your attention, how can temperatures be dropping for the past 18 months when CO2 keeps going up?

Hansen just cooked the books for October, claiming it was the warmest October on record, when he actually used September temperatures in Russia instead of actual temps. When called on it, he admits he has no control over the numbers he receives from that part of the world - he doesn't know if they are correct or not. But yet we are willing to bet the farm that the THEORY of Globull Warming is FACT! How absurd!!

I'm not a fan of the Kyoto treaty because it penalizes us who have actually been doing something to clean up the air and water. However, the fact that glaciers that are millenaia old are disappearing and the ice caps are shrinking does say that there is a problem.

The biggest problem is cost of fixing the problem. We took decades to get into this mess and we can't fix it over night. Electric cars? I'd love to have an electric car but I can't afford to scrap my Detroit iron to buy one right now.

Waste water? There are systems out there to capture water from shower drains and use it for toilet flushing. That would be great, might save me a few hundred gallons a month but the cost of installing one is insane.

The first step should be to get the developing countries (can you say China) to clean up their acts. It would far less expensive to build clean in someplace that doesn't have old factories and housing developments that are 100 years old. However, the whiners say that would be unfair.

GW writes, "Waste water? There are systems out there to capture water from shower drains and use it for toilet flushing. That would be great, might save me a few hundred gallons a month but the cost of installing one is insane."

Not only that, but they hit you even when you are conserving! Here in Atlanta, we have been asked to conserve because of the draught. Just today, the city announced they are raising water rates due to a revenue decrease - because people aren't using as much water. Increase is expected to be about $10/month for the average household.

So, the lesson is... the next time you are asked to conserve, you can do so and expect to pay more, or you can ignore it and maybe pay less?