• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would redo some of the training, so it is not so understated. Possibly a simple test after the training course to see who did and did not "get it".

Understated = Drill leaders with the Aims and Methods not hint at them.

Yes, publications online, available for all to reference. CD would be nice, but online has an advantage. Not all parents would have the CD, but you could easily tell a parent, "yes it is a rule, and you can view it at www.bsapub.org/scoutmasterhandbook/outdoorprogram/safeswim

If they go see it or not is another thing, but it gives them no excuse. Kinda like letting all parents come and vote at committee meetings... you can always say, "you had your chance two months ago when we made todays plans to have your say and change plans/policy/etc.

If I had just one wish, I would give the Scouts the belief that they could do anything and the parents the belief that their sons could do anything.

The adult leaders when I first joined Scouts told us the sky was the limit if we wanted to work for it and I was crazy enough to believe them. Fortunately, my parents like the attitude I got from that, and although they didn't believe it, they didn't discourage my belief.

Just pulling your legs!

Honestly I'm not serious. That conversation has been had unto death.

Just my viscious sense of humour. I'm not even entitled to vote in this poll so I thought I'd stick in my oar for the hell of it.

It's tough to think of just one thing to change. There are so many little things I'd like to change.

Really I'd like to just echo some of the other comments. I would use magical powers to give all adult leaders faith in the boys. I have seen great boys from the "tweener" age of 18-21 be chased out of the troop by adults who still wouldn't not listen to their views. I considered some of these boys much more experienced, capable, and knowledgable than these adults, but the adults wouldn't listen to them. They basically chased the best young adult leaders out of the troop. Pity. I think we need more for the "Tweeners" to do because they are the best leaders. They bridge the gap between adults and youth and while the youth accept that, adults have difficulty believing that someone younger than 30 may know what they're doing.

(Yay for rants!!!)

Uniforms...These are the changes I would make.

- Bring the price down a bit.

- Allow Olive Drab color BDU's or another type of rugged pants be adopted by troops for outdoor activities.

- Bring back the tie for adults with the field uniform.

- Let the uniform "enforcers" know that we're scouts, not the military, and not to get bent out of shape when someone is not wearing the uniform correctly.

I was "chastised" by our Roundtable Commish last week for having too many patches on my red wool jacket. Not even a "Hi, how are you, how's things". Just a "that's illegal, this one is illegal, you can't wear a CSP, yada yada yada."

I took in stride. Any no, I'm not taking the patches off my jacket. :) The boys love it and ask me questions about them. It even works as a "recruiting" tool. Had a kid join a cub pack for asking about the "Coat of Many Patches".

I got a kick out of the uniform police chastising your red jacket. There are rules about which patches and where may be worn on the Philmont jacket. However, in the grand scheme of things, there are bigger issues.

I once had a scout shop employee criticise a volunteer for having too many patches on his red wool jacket. I loved his response. He went out and found matching red fabric and sewed it on the bottom of his jacket, turning it into a "non uniform" full length coat. He was warmer, covered it with patches (which the boys in his pack loved,) and took was no longer violating any rules.

Gotta love a guy that gets creative.

DS