• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be sure all members "realized" what their role is supposed to be

examples:

I'd make sure sure all Scoutmasters realized they are not the boss of the troop.

I'd Make sure all Troop Committees realized they do not run the troop.

I'd make sure sure that all Senior Patorl Leaders realized its his troop to run.

I'd make sure the PLC realized its their program to establish and run

I would dump the Venture patrol idea and add a section in the Scoutmaster Specific Class teaching adults how to encourage a program that is challenging and rewarding for all ages and maturities of scouts in their troop.

Barry

I've read pro and con on Webelos and Camporees here in the forum and most say it isn't supposed to happen. Heard lots of people say they've done it though. None the less, we were invited and we are going. I think the main problem has been Webelos competing against Boy Scouts and the safety, skill and ability factors involved. I've heard some say it is OK if you provide separate activities for the Webelos. I don't know the agenda for this Camporee. We'll see. We have a Webelos 1 den of about 13 or 14 and 8 or 9 of those never miss a chance to camp and are looking foward to crossing over in a year. I think this Camporee will have a big impact on enhancing those desires.

I would REQUIRE a minimum amount of ongoing training every year for every adult volunteer that works with the troop in any capacity on a regular basis -(for example, more than 3 events a year or attends more than 8 scout meetings or accepts a committee position)

ESP COMMITTEE & ASM's!

Training is not THAT hard to do!

Webelos Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts can attend the same camp-o-ree and even do the same activities! They just can't compete against one another.

My wish, I got paid by the hour for my Scouting work. Having a job and needing to provide for my family gets in the way of all my scouting activities. (No, I'm not wishing to become a Scouting professional.)

Wish #2, that this forum would employ a spell checker and that users would use it!

Now Acco, Yew no that wood never werk. Eye at tymes sea horrible spelin an grammer and want to menshun it, butt then eye read my own posts and seize where aye did the same thing.

If ewe dont tell on me, I wont tell on yew

(hope know won is homophonophobic)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I would endow the BSA with enough money to operate without having to strongarm parents and volunteers for donations and making kids (and their parents) sell popcorn for 3 times more than what you buy it for at the grocery store and that nobody really wants. The other side of that coin would be that every local Council's financial books would be published on their web site for all to see.

I'd like to see ALL the resources of BSA (HQ)focused on the Webelos to Scout transition. Too many boys fall by the wayside during this period and in the year following. There must be a common thread. It's time someone applied the resources to figuring out why all these boys drop out.