Now... Eleven Executive Priorities for Obama

"Health care should be a right in this country, and every American should have access to quality care"

I really do not understand this mentallity why should it be a right?

Freedom of speech I understand. Freedom of the press, ditto.

But freedom of going into any doctors office in the land and not having to pay, unsure of. Now then when the Federal govement has things running as smooth as maybe FedEx (Like th VA, or the Penetagon $500 hammer anyone,) then they can mess with health care for everyone.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"But freedom of going into any doctors office in the land and not having to pay, unsure of."

Except that is not what "guaranteed access to health care" is going to mean for most Americans.

Let me tell you a little story. A few years ago, there was a Boy Scout delivering popcorn on his bike. He was hit by a pickup truck, and even though he was wearing a helmet, he suffered a catastrophic brain injury.

His family was comfortable and incredibly average American. Three kids (all in scouts), a house, good jobs, and good health insurance. However, that young scout reached his *lifetime* maximum benefits from that health insurance a week into his care. A week he was not supposed to survive, but miraculously did. A week after that, the family faced the choice of continuing to assume financial responsibility for his care, and keeping their house.

In the end, they had to make a choice to "abandon" him (a legal maneuver), so that he could continue to receive care, but not compromise their financial ability to care for their other children, both in the short and long term. I can't even begin to imagine the what it must have taken out of these wonderful parents to do that.

This young man was not supposed to live. Then, he was never supposed to recover cognitive function. He was never supposed to be able to walk again. Well, a year after his accident, he went to some national eagle scout event, which he credits with being his inspiration, his goal to not only survive, but exceed all expectations of his recovery. Last year, I had the pleasure of attending Wood Badge with this remarkable young man, and hearing his story from his father.

Parents shouldn't have to abandon their children to the state to make sure they have access to livesaving care.

That is the type of care that should be a right to all individuals, not whether or not I can get a free flu shot at my doctor's office.

Clearly the Constitution does not provide for health care for all. There is no such "right" in America. Should the people of a state decide to provide for that right, it is their own business.

That being said, health care costs are out of control. But I'm afraid nationalized health care is not the answer. I have yet to see a federal government run program which runs efficiently. The farther away from home something is run, the more folks who like to get a share of the pie.

I'm always more in favor of a program which lets the individual be responsible for his own welfare. I trust myself more than the government.

Health care is a tough one. I don't know what the correct answer is, but I am confident that nationalized, government managed is not the way to go.

"Clearly the Constitution does not provide for health care for all."

So? The Constitution does not grant rights, it only recognizes that certain rights exist.

Perhaps health care is a right. Gone are the days when you could pay your doctor with a chicken or two. Gone are the days when you could have a bake sale at the church for little Johnny's operation.

I know a fellow who had a mild stroke last year, he's fine with no noticable loss of capabilities. However, before all was said and done, the bill was well over $500,000. What would have been done for him if he didn't have good insurance?

Even without the extraordinary happenings, healthcare can be way to expensive. Got the flu? Go to the doctor and the bill is $150!

My doctor did a fingerstick blood glucose test on me and it showed up on the bill for $7. I can do that test for a quarter with the same meter.

Meds? Insulin is the only affordable prescription medication that I take. If it wasn't for insurance, my monthly scripts would be about $800 a month.

No, I don't have a solution. I don't even have a glimmer of a solution. I've been told by Brits and Candians that their systems don't work well if you have any problem worse than a cold or a broken leg.

Personally I dont trust the goverment to make personal choices for me.

One thing that would lower Health care costs. Tort reform. If you sue and it is deemed to be frivioulous and without merit you have to reimburse the person you sue for thier costs. This would cut down a lot on malpractice insurance which is a huge driver of health care costs. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tort_reform)

And again if you want health care get your state to run it, not the federal goverment. Get someone who is more responsive to your needs, not one plan fits all.

An example of this is the federal minimum wage. The goverment decides what the minimum wage is for every state. But no one can tell me that the cost of living in NYC is the same as living in a small town Nebraska. If the states want a minimum wage then let them do it, not the feds.

One thing that would lower Health care costs. Tort reform. If you sue and it is deemed to be frivioulous and without merit you have to reimburse the person you sue for thier costs. This would cut down a lot on malpractice insurance which is a huge driver of health care costs. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tort_reform)

And again if you want health care get your state to run it, not the federal goverment. Get someone who is more responsive to your needs, not one plan fits all.

An example of this is the federal minimum wage. The goverment decides what the minimum wage is for every state. But no one can tell me that the cost of living in NYC is the same as living in a small town Nebraska. If the states want a minimum wage then let them do it, not the feds.

"If the states want a minimum wage then let them do it, not the feds. "

Many states do set their own minimum wage. They just can't set one lower than the federal.

With regards to Health Care, I too don't have an answer. It needs to be addressed though for two reasons, 1. Too many people don't have access. 2. Our employer based system is crippling business, particularly manufacturing, in their ability to compete in a world economy.

Unfortunately, with the current domestic economic issues, Health Care reform is not likely to be addressed any time soon.

SA

One of the biggest problems with the minimum wage is that Congress lets it languish tooooo long. Instead of writing the law so that the min wage goes up automatically every year based on economic indicators or tied to military raises or Social Security or Congressional raises. However, they wait 20 years and then it becomes a big hot potato.

The sad fact is that there are many people out there trying to feed families on minimum wage. If you're sitting comfortably, whining about how your 401K took a hit, you really have no idea what life is like for the underemployed.

Packsaddle,

You could support a limited government philosophy in regards to health care and still think government should stop abortion. Especially if you believe its murder. We all agree murder should be illegal, right?

Personally, I do not think either should be a federal issue. According to the Constitution neither is.

Bring back federalism bring abortion and health care to the state level. Let the people of each state determine these issues consistent with their values, traditions, and history. This is why we have states, I thought. They were not supposed to be mere administrative organs of the central government.