Please identify the Middle East leader who was quaking in their boots on 9/11. We had several presidential elections before then and it did not seem to deter anyone did it?

I doubt that any poster on this board would even recognize a would be-caliph seeing as how there has not been one since 1924. But facts aside, how would anyone here know what an Islamic leader thinks about our presidential elections?

To say that those who dislike the selection of Obama as the next preident are whining is as silly as saying that those who have posted who are pleased with the results are gloating.

Neither is true. Scouter-Terry posted he was pleased with outcome, it seems not only fair but very American that the those who disagree are allowed to voice their concerns in a open and lawful manner.

Once an election is over it is the civic responsibility of the opposition party to provide an alternate view and options to the rule of the controlling party. Let's hope that the republicans do so with more thoughtfulness and respect for the office of the President than has been shown by democrats the past few years.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John McCain in his concession speech stated that all the blame for his loss was on him and no one else. Later a tearful Palin commented to the press that if she cost McCain even one vote she was so sorry to him and the party. McCains speech showed more of what kind of man he is than did all the debates and ads and I really felt a deep respect for him, he is an honorable man. If anyone is to take the blame it is McCains election campaign committee who did a miserable job marketing John to the people, never allowing the real maverick to shine through.

Now its time to give Obama his due and lets see what the next four years REALLY does bring to the people of this country, rather than the bitter innuendo and speculation that some of the forum members are spewing. There will be another election in four years so there is no need to be so fatalistic.

In what post did anyone level blame at anyone for the result of the election. I have read through the posts I do not find anyone placing blame, but merely citing their concerns over what the results will mean to our country.

This issue of blame is a contrivance to create an argument that does not exist.

let me try to help clear up your confusion, McCain in his speech last night took all the blame for losing the election on himself for which I stated it was not his fault but that of his highly disorganized campaign election advisors. It would help if you watched or read the news once in a while, geesshh. But there again this info isn't in any scouting manual so I guess I understand why you are so confused.

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Yah, hmmmm. I was referin' pretty specifically to "this particular election", eh? Not to the election of 2000.

Da stated goal of Osama bin Laden is to re-establish the caliphate, with him as caliph. That's kind of religio-political supremacy is central to Islamist thought, eh?

Sorry if anybody missed da references there.

Beavah

"That's kind of religio-political supremacy is central to Islamist thought, eh?"

Beavah, I want to ask you to clarify what you meant here, because one of the defining features of most variations of Islam is the lack of a central figure who is widely believed to be "supreme." Now there are exceptions to that, but they tend not to be the more widely followed types of Islam. In most variants, there simply is not some pope-like figure who can be reasonably said to be The Leader of the faithful. And in fact that's one of the things that makes it harder to figure out how to approach the extremist groups.

Or, did you instead mean to suggest that theocratic rule in general (not a particular person as leader) is key to understanding Islamist (not necessarily Islamic) thought?

Hops, I know you meant well. But I am capable of sifting through the posts, even if they are drivel, and it helps to be able to read all of the posts. As it is, I am fairly confused by the ones you evidently let stay in and I'm wondering if the missing stuff might have made things clearer.

I suggest that if the moderators are going to use the heavy hand of censorship, they might just as well close the thread and allow another to start.

I'm guessing that those who have been censored directly are not happy about it and I'm letting you know that if I'm not allowed to make my own decisions about which posts have merit, I'm not happy about it either.

This is what political grace looks like:

I guess you'll have to explain that one to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely sympathetic to his point of view. It was a very touching speech, but he was for Obama and he is an African-American. Why wouldn't he be gracious?

Last night on our localish station from Santa Barbara they were talking to a few people on the street. A woman informed the reporter that she is ready for the end, and is preparing herself for it through prayer. How can people be so completely illogical just because someone with whom they do not agree is elected? It is not the praying part that bothers me, as I do think that is certainly in order for the country as a whole, and for the president elect particularly as he confronts such a huge uphill climb.

Meanwhile, it appears we will be sitting here with another proposition passed by the electorate that will mean very little as the ACLU, and other groups are already beginning their legal preparations. It will likely be put in limbo indefinitely, as the case is fought in court. And, this being what it is, it will probably eventually be tossed out by the state and federal courts as unconstitutional. Meanwhile, millions of dollars that could have served a better purpose has been squandered by both sides. How sad.