Depends. G2SS says drugs and alcohol are prohibited at "activities on property owned and/or operated by the BSA, or at any activity involving participation of youth members." So wine with dinner is okay unless your dinner is held at a Scout Camp or if boys are present (and don't forget the color guard).

We had a fundraiser in my Council last year when the Norman Rockwell exhibit came to town and several troops were asked to provide Honor Guards for the paintings. Anyway to make a long story short The Adults that were present from the Council Exec on down were drinking in Uniform and in front of kids. Several of the other leaders present did complain about the open cash bar while the youth were present. Of course the Council didnt do anyhing about it except to say they will investigate it of course it has been close to a year now with no response.Of course the Council Exec heard a lot about it at our fireside chat but maybe someone on the Council itself should read the GTSS.

As for another point please be aware that their are organizations that are charter partners that do not drink and would prefer that no alcohol would be served at any event involved in Scouting.(This message has been edited by scomman)

Our council camps have various "mix & fix" type events where individuals and groups volunteer to supply their time and efforts and sometimes materials to construct, do repairs, etc. to the various buildings, equipment and such at camp. One of the most generous and useful organizations are the local trade unions who volunteer their time and expertise. They usually bring along their beer too! To my knowledge a good time was had by all, much needed work was accomplished, and community bonds were strengthened.

The union members were not working with youth and no formal youth activities were ongoing in the vicinity but it was on council property.

This is a "third rail" issue, like tobacco use, since many adults use one, the other, or both.

We have tangible difficulty holding things like District dinners here, because every place on the military bases where we can hold such a gathering also serve alcohol. So, whoever puts the event together has to do a kabuki dance to try to get a separate room, that doesn't pass through the bar, preferably with a separate entrance, and oh by the way where we can't hear the slot machines, either.

KS

You know, I should have gotten the history/culture right. It's well documented among Asia-philes that Korean culture influenced Japanese culture -- flowed from the Asian mainland out to the islands. So, then, Japanese kabuki is actually a derivative of the Korean "Nong Ak", which preceded it.

So, rather than saying the Koreans also do kabuki, it would probably be more accurate to say the Japanese also do "Nong Ak".

Of course, we all use the term as a generic reference to a stylized, ritualistic, predetermined, imponderable, frustrating routine. It's most often used among us uniformed types when a more profane slang term that describes the same type routine shouldn't be used.

Our Council and all the Scouters that I know, are with Twocubdad and Bob White, on this one

Adult only golf outings are big fund raisers in our neck of the wood, they normaly end up with a dinner, where the bar is open.

No one is in uniform.As yet we don't own a golf course. However our council key 3 are all golf nuts, so I keep my eyes open, they might one day try and pull a fast one on the board !! (That was a joke.)