What happened to all the "normal" people

Stuff like the inappropriate Anit-Palin shirt and the Guy with the monkey with the Obama bumper sticker on his head (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/10/11/politics/fromtheroad/entry4515246.shtml) make me wonder where are all the normal people at.

I miss individuals who can have an exchange of differing ideas without resorting to garbage of this nature. I clearly support Obama more than McCain, but I cannot imagine going to an Obama rally with a sign/stuffed animal/t-shirt carrying an attack of this nature, or yelling something crazy about McCain's time in a prison camp.

How did we get to the point where one candidate actually has to stand in front of a crowd of his supporters and get booed for reminding them to have some basic standard of respect for others?

This last two weeks has reminded me that there are these people out there on both extremes of the political spectrum, and I can't wait until the election is done so I don't have to see them for another three years.

Ry

I'm told that I'm normal all the time...

A B normal, that is... :)

I also can't wait till this is over but part of the problem will continue to be the deeply divisive partisanship that has been encouraged, even fostered by the two major parties.

The next round of grumbling won't be about the candidates but about how could we have elected such a (insert appropriate derogative term) person to office - no matter which way it goes.

Which will then spark the parties to start the campaigns early again.

As was said in the Peanuts strips - AAuugh!

Politics has always been a dirty, nasty game. It's just that our definition of dirty and nasty has fallen beneath the crass and vulgar. Anyone care to remember, "Ma, Ma where's my Pa? Gone to the White House, ha, ha, ha?" directed against Grover Cleaveland. That was pretty vulgar for the 1880's.

However, until one party so overwhelmingly fails to provide leadership on THE seminal issue of national survival (Remember the Whig Party which utterly failed in the 1850s?) then we are stuck with what we've got.

I am reminded of the statistical truth that in nature, nothing has a truly 'normal' distribution. I wonder if our personal definition of what is normal might actually be some idealization of our own characteristics that we think are the best?

Anyway, yes the extremes are probably always going to be there. Here in the South, in some cases we've actually capitalized on some of our extremes (wretchedness, for example) - made some good money at times.

While I admit that I suspect that truly 'normal' people are boring compared to those who aren't, when the mix includes politics and religion, it makes me glad to be a scientist. Not that there's anything 'normal' about scientists either.;) We've been blessed with plenty of 'interesting' characters.:)

I, too, am sick of the political season. While searching the internet for McCain-Palin merchandise, I was appalled at the vulgar things that various companies are selling (both parties are represtented in good and bad ways.) Some things were down right nasty, some were simply in bad taste, others were kind of funny, but I would never wear a button or display a sign that said anything against the other candidate. I only want things that show my support of my candidate. I wish companies didn't make the negative merchandise, but obviously that stuff sells. How sad.

I just wish they would tell me what they think and will do rather then bashing each other, playing the he said they said / did game, and encourage there followers to take on positive, clean, honest tactics to help there candidate. There is way to much propaganda and what they say and do is based way to much on polls rather then reality.

I will say since a few others have ... I am in the middle right now I really don't like either person running ... I have said to a friend taht the perfect match may be if the two VPs ran as a team at least they would balance each other out to a point.... I am still leaning more toward the Obama but only because of a few issues, nothing more...

Just my wacky 2 cents...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

Rythos,

Did you just start to wonder where the normal people where?

How about when the food was thrown at the Presidential limo in George Bush's inaugural?

I the town of Clifton Park NY someone painted F----Bush on a very large American flag mounted on a wall.

When Palin's daughter really had the infant with Downs Syndrome(and it was fathered by Palin's husband). Or so they said.

As somebody here said the election is close. The nation really is divided about 50/50 with 80% of the people really angry.

If Obama doesn't win people will be really angry. The polls have had him ahead for so long.

If McCain wins the cartoonist will parody(sp?) the "Dewey defeats Truman" picture.

No matter who wins we are in for a bumpy ride.

Let us be happy that we have a right to argue and scrap over who will run the country because in many places there really is no choice and if you step out of line with your mouth you are in for a long train ride or worse.

People are free to say they hate politics but the alternative isn't real great. If you hate politics that you must be voting for John "I can please all the people all the time" McCain. He has made a career trying to stay out of the fray. The right really can't stand the guy and I'm sure they wonder how we got here.

The guy in the movie was a big WUSS. If I am going to bring something to a political rally, I'm not going to hide once the camera is on me, let alone give the thing to a kid.I think there are big whimps on both sides.

The Normal people are out there they just aren't on camera on CBS news. They were at work that day.