The Open-Minded, Tolerant Party

I'm not arguing about who has the largest audience, I'm talking about who/what has had the biggest effect on turning the campaign negative. It wasn't talk radio that spread the despicable story that Sarah Palin's daughter was the mother of their baby Trig, with her dad Todd being the father. You may not think much of those sites, but they get plenty of attention. All the big Democratic contenders attended the Daily Kos Annual Convention to try to win their support. Would they do that for some no-name web site? They recognized they needed to play to this group if they wanted to win the nomination.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>Since that time, there has not been a single campaign that has been civil and devoid of dirty tricks. Closest one to it was Carter/Ford, both good guys in my opinion.

What changed?>

Actually, civility is only rarely the norm for a campaign. Google "yellow journalism" - the term was coined in the late 1800's but sensationalistic "journalism" was going on long before that and included political "journalism." I went to the new Lincoln museum in Springfield last summer - some of the headlines/news stories published during his election runs would have resulted in lawsuits today.

It's just same stuff, different day.

Vicki