Sickness and Corruption at all levels of Government and media..

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/politics/presidentialforum.cfm

There is a complete bias represented on the aflcio website they are supposed to protect employees from abuses and mistreatment and yet they are bullying and spreading false propaganda..

the say on there site.. "Meet Obama" , "Meet Biden" and then they say " McCain Revealed" and "Palin Revealed" there is a very subtle inference by the word "Revealed" and it sickens me..

They unions are not doing what they were originally designed to do... In fact because of the cost of production in the US now they are harmful to our economy etc.. I think they need to be put back in there rightful place looking after the employees.

In recent years, businesses have failed in my area, due in large part to greedy union practices. Two union-run grocery store chains have disappeared, while the employee owned ones continue to flourish. I agree that unions were needed "way back when" but now, most seem to be corrupt. A decade ago, I knew several people who retired at age 48, thanks to their union benefits. But now, in part due to all those young retirees, many of those companies are failing, and/or no longer in business. The union administrators got rich, but the people they were supposedly helping lost their jobs. Even though I'm for Palin, whose husband is a union man, I am not in favor of present day union practices.

First of all, it is obvious from that web site that the union in question is supporting the Democrats, so it isn't a question of "bias". If the AFL-CIO claimed to be "neutral" in the presidential race but was really supporting one party over the other (like, for example, the "fair and balanced" Fox News Channel which is basically the television arm of the Republican Party), then you might say they were "biased." But in the case of the AFL-CIO it is really just an organization supporting one party over the other.

This is nothing new. Labor unions have always been active politically. Most unions in this country have generally supported Democrats, but not always -- the Teamsters Union were major supporters of Ronald Reagan. The unions see this as part of their mission to promote the interests of their members, by supporting candidates whose policies they think will best benefit their group. How is that different from any other interest group? And please remember that union leaders in this country are elected by their members. If the workers in these unions do not like the candidates their leaders are supporting, the members can elect new leaders.

One might even say that since the unions are private organizations, they can pretty much do what they want, and if you don't like it, don't join. Of course, I personally would never say anything like that, but you know what, that idea sounds kind of familiar. It's almost like defenders of a certain other organization say that once in a while, or maybe all the time. What organization could that be? Wait... it'll come to me... right on the tip of my tongue...

Speaking of Bias - have you seen the website of the NRA lately?

And speaking of nonsensical - what exactly does the AFL-CIO website have to do with sickness and corruption at all levels of Government and Media? Here I thought we aould get a well-reasoned argument against Fox News, and the Bush Administration - instead we get a diatribe against a Union that is not part of either the Government or the Media exercising their free speech rights.

I suspect we have a three week troll here who will disappear once the election is over.

Calico

I agree Lisabob. But in my view it is better for these guys to be able to take potshots in these forums in a figurative sense than for them to take real ones. Let them flame off and vent. Maybe prevent an eruption. And then they might consider other opinions and start thinking sensibly. We all might enter an age in which we can all set aside political and religious differences to consider the objective merits of all ideas and just perhaps...solve some of the big problems for humanity.

Naaaaaahhh!

>But I did think it was deliciously ironic that this thread (Government Corruption) appeared the same day that Gov. Palin was censured by the Alaska legislature for abuse of authority. >

Umm, Trev, actually she wasn't censured - that's a really significant action and an accusation not to be thrown around lightly. The legislature could still do that (all news outlets agree that it's unlikely), but the panel only concluded that there was a breach of ethics in that she allowed undue pressure to be applied by her husband, Todd, at various times in attempting to get the trooper fired. It also concluded that she was within her rights as Governor to dismiss the public safety commissioner (the trooper's boss).

Which is really too bad, because by all accounts this trooper should have been fired strictly on his own pattern of bad behavior.

Vicki