Hopefully our good mods can merge these three threads into one. The one that was left open was edited by the poster to remove the original post.

Cookie, don't get me wrong as I am not arguing in favor of extra age requirements for Eagle. I will however play devil's advocate based on the many conversations I have heard Scouters have concerning this issue. Obviously, earning Eagle is NOT the goal of the BSA. It is a small number of boys who actually do earn it. Usually the concern stems from a boy or more usually from parents who push their son to treat rank requirements as a punch list with a major prize at the end. The quicker and younger you can do it, the more impressive. It is more than one boy who has left the program after earning Eagle. Those who earn it at a young age at the urging of their parents usually leave the program to tackle the next impressive award to go on their resume for getting in a premium university. To many Scouters, Eagle is believed to be something special. They want the scout who earns it to be able to fully appreciate what it means. To them, that appreciation is gained thru wisdom, experience, maturity and service that is gained over time.......hence age. A boy of 16 or 17 with 5 or 6 years in the program is going to understand the signifigance of his accomplishment much more than a 13 year old with 2 years in the program. Are all 16 or 17 year olds mature? Heck no. I know some 50 year olds who are immature and don't "get it". But they are the exception rather than the rule. A 13 year old Eagle who "gets it" is also the exception rahter than the rule.

Do I have anything against a 14.5 year old scout earning Eagle. No. Do I understand why some people do? Yes. Do I think a boy should wait until right before his 18th birthday to Eagle? No. My son is 15.5 and needs Family Life and E Prep as well as his Eagle Project to earn Eagle. His goal has always been to earn it before he turns 16. Why? Because he took to heart all of those pleas from the deathbed Eagles who warned at their Eagle COH not to wait until they were 17.5 to get serious. He saw guys hit 16, get a car and a job disappear from scouting only to return a year and a half later and bust their butts trying to finish. He feels like he has too much invested to throw it away. He "gets it".

Personally, I think "older" Eagles understand and appreciate their Eagle more. While I might counsel a boy to slow down and enjoy the journey, I wouldn't stand in his way if he is getting there at a younger age.

Wasn't allowed to be a Scout as a youth, my brothers were forced to drop out. SM issues. Grrr.

As a current SM my first candidate holdover from the previous SM failed to have/ ask for/ schedule his EBOR. (Yes, there was nearly constant reminders/ contact from the SM and various Committee members)

I'd much rather see a 14.5 year old Eagle candidate(whether he "gets it" at the time or not) then go through that again, especially since not all "deathbed" Eagles "get it" that it is anything but a college app/work app enhancement.

I WOULD, however, really prefer that all Eagles stayed involved in Scouting rather than dropping out the instant their ECoH is over. But - that's just my preference. :)