A brief quiz on American History

Three questions:

What year did the great stock market crash occur that triggered the depression of the 1930's?

a. 1930

b. 1929

c. 1931

What year was Franklin Delano Roosevelt elected to his first term as president of the United States?

a. 1928

b. 1932

c. 1936

When did commerical television become available nationwide in the United States?

a. Some time after World War II

b. 1929

c. 1940

The answers to these questions are b, b, and a respectively.

The quote below is from Joe Biden's recent interview with Katie Couric. I did not see the interview. Perhaps someone who watched that interview can confirm this. Did he really say this? Keep in mind this is the guy who thinks he really is smarter than the rest of us.

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed," Biden told Couric. "He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

When the stock market crashed in 1929 Herbert Hoover was president and he was still president until Roosevelt was inaugurated in 1933. Television!!! In 1929!!!

(This message has been edited by eisely)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biden got some details wrong. THe "fireside chats" that FDR gave starting in 1933 (over the radio) were probably what Biden was thinking of. In those chats FDR was frequently a fairly straight shooter, not necessarily laying out detailed policy proposals as much as explaining in simple terms what the issues of the day (depression) were, and attempting to build up people's sense of confidence and hope. So yeah, Biden got details wrong if he said exactly what you quoted. He did, though, have the right general idea.

(Before anybody pounces, as a student of history I would greatly prefer if Biden bothered to get the details right. As a Democrat, I'd greatly prefer he think before he speaks. As a realist, I'm not terribly optimistic on either count! Biden has his strengths but goodness knows he's gaffe-prone.)

Lisabob is certainly correct about FDR's use of the radio. It is probably fair to say that he was the first "great communicator" president of the last century.

Biden does provide some entertainment value, but this steady stream of misstatements should give any voter pause about Biden's real capabilities.

Apparently FDR first appeared on television in 1939. TV was exhibited at a World's Fair in New York that year.

Nah, the last 8 years of misstatements - which were not entertaining - are nearly over. Anybody remember "yellow cake uranium" that supposedly was making its way from Niger to Iraq, not to mention the other WMDs we "knew" Saddam had, or perhaps "Mission Accomplished?" Or closer to home, "you're doing a heckuva job, Brownie?"

My personal view of Biden, based on his years of experience leading and serving on the Senate Foreign Relations committee (one of the most important, serious, and sensitive assignments in Congress), is that he really is quite capable if he would just keep his trap shut when there's a microphone nearby. At least I don't need to worry about whether he can find Iraq and Iran on a map.

John McCain has made his share of gaffes as well. During the primaries he was discussing the political situation in Iraq and mixed up the Shi'ites and the Sunnis, which a lot of people have trouble with, but if you are standing on a national stage discussing a situation, you ought to know what you're talking about. I'm sure I could find others if I looked (and I won't even mention the fact that he didn't know how many houses he owns.)

I suppose it's up to every individual voter to decide whether it's more important for a presidential candidate to know critical facts regarding a war we are currently involved in, or for a vice president to know who was President in 1929. (Personally I'd prefer that everybody get everything right, but you can't have everything.)

Or, the voters could decide to focus on the candidates' actual positions on the issues. But I know that's crazy talk.

I don't remember too many Republicans saying, "I couldn't figure out how to vote."

I seem to remember one who can't remember how many houses he owns though..... :)

In the spirit of fairness these people are giving speeches or having conversations where making a mistake can cost you everything you've worked for your entire adult life career wise. People are going to make mistakes under that kind of pressure and scrutiny, its bound to happen. There are no perfect people (unless your Catholic and then you get to count the Pope on matters of faith)

However, there is a difference between lying and misspeaking, which is something that I think some of our politicians (once again both parties) would do well to remember.

Ry

OK, so now Rythos, I can claim to be an injured party because you made fun of my Catholic views. Wait a minute, perhaps I should just let it roll off my back and not get bent out of shape whenever something offends or at least bothers me, actually that would be the better approach

Anyway, my understanding is McCain's Father-in-Law gave McCains wife the houses and no, The senator didnt keep track of them, I guess that is his flaw.

So, speaking about housing. Didnt Senator Obama buy a house adjacent to a vacant lot that Tony Rezko bought on the same day? While Mr Rezko paid full asking price, Mr Obama received a 15% discount on this house?

If I am wrong, please explain it to me. I grew up in Chicago where the local politicians motto is "Ubi est mea" and nothing happens by chance(This message has been edited by OldGreyeagle)