Religion/Sexuality

DanKroh,

You are then most likely right, at least for your study area. I am not disputing your assertation but just still a little cautious. Some of the characters that I see in the gay pride parades make me shudder but obviously they may be OK folks just expressing themselves in ways completely foreign to me.

Hal said that many scouters wished that this would go away - count me in!

Pack,

Actually, you are probably right that we could enjoy a lively discussion. I have found that when reasonable people discuss these issues, that we all have similar goals: national security, the ability to raise our children in a relatively safe environment, a clean natural environment, at least some financial and health security. We differ on how those goals are best obtained. Most of us are turned off by the far right and the far left. So maybe we can have a cup of coffee in the future!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The only way that I think letting CO's determine the gay issue is to allow them to be more stringent as well as less. So that a CO could say no gays and only certain religious views."

I don't actually have a problem with that. In fact they probably have that authority now. As far as I know there is nothing from keeping the unit from dropping leaders and scouts without reason and they certainly can limit who they allow to join their unit. I live a few doors from an LDS church and while I am welcome to attend the district RTs in their church I doubt they would want me for a leader. My faith is just too far from theirs. We have at least one Catholic troop that limited their membership to members of the church. This was more to control the size of a large unit than stamping out heresy but as far as I know they weren't breaking any rules.

The only downside I see is that it might cause problems in smaller communities where 95% of the town goes to one church. It could be rough on religious minorities where there is only one game in town. In most places I suspect that there will always be churches (or other COs) that will be open to those of other faiths.

So Vol, I think you and I have solved this problem. If National will just sign off (a small technicality) we can move on to the next great challenge. Its either universal health care or how to make sure foil dinners are completely cooked before eating. Now that's change you can believe in. ;-)

Hal

"The only way that I think letting CO's determine the gay issue is to allow them to be more stringent as well as less. So that a CO could say no gays and only certain religious views."

I don't actually have a problem with that. In fact they probably have that authority now.

They do:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/23/us/scout-troop-denies-high-post-to-muslim.html

A man who served nearly three years as a Cub Scout leader has been rejected for a higher Scout post because he is a Muslim.

Officials of Boy Scouts of America said the church was within its rights. A charter agreement essentially makes the Scout troop a program of Haven Reformed, giving the church the authority to select leaders.