Hi All

Last night one of our older scouts, who was our SPL two years ago, stopped me and told me that he has been working hard at student council but the efforts of the students have been block by the bad leadership of the adults. He looked at me and said, I just realized that most adults dont have the leadership skills that I learned in this Troop. He then said that he was running for next years Student Council President and was going to teach them how to be leaders. I felt the erg to tell him that those adults may not have the humility to see themselves in a youth run program like troop leaders. But I didnt, I think he already learn that this year. I did tell him now that he knows the secret that most adults arent great leaders, he is going to be their teacher for the rest of his life. This scout is also our Council JLTC Youth Director for our Fall course.

My experiences in life have led me to believe that we are called to be where we are in life today. Its up to us to use that opportunity to serve. For those of us adults who love this scouting stuff, we are at the right place at the right time. I thank you for what you have done for our sons, and for what you will do. I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

I second that emotion! My thanks to all the scouters as well! We may not make an impact on all the boys, but we do make an impact on two for sure ... our own son and one other! That one hour is sure worth all of the efforts!

1hour

Barry,

Great story, one I have seen play out a couple of times in various areas in my 7 years with the BSA.

I wish I could take credit, but it was really our Scoutmaster who has the entire Troop believing that our mission (the adults to teach and allow, the boys to learn and practice), is not so much to be leaders, but to be leaders of leaders. So few people have some of the skills that most of the boys in our Troop, and most of Scouting have: The ability to plan and knowledge of planning's importance; The ability to speak in front of a group and not sound like an babbling idiot; how to put together an interesting presentation; how to teach a skill; how to be a follower when it is appropriate to do so; how to work with dissimiliar types of people; how to control a group without raising a voice or making a threat; Direction; Purpose; Confidence. And so many more things that just can't fit into this little box.

I think the boys and men who have come through our Troop are people to be proud of regardless of the above. In almost every case, they are very fine people. But Scouting has given us as adults an organized method to affect young men as they grow to manhood in ways far deeper than teaching knots, 1st aid, and all of the other really cool stuff. If we ever have a boy who can say he learned how to be a man without learning the Scout skills (probably not possible, at least in our Troop), I'd feel we were still a success.

Your title is SO perfect. In 7 years, I have gotten two, three, I don't know, maybe ten times back what I have put in. I could never pay back the joy I have gotten for having been a small part in any one of our Scouts' life. To whomever deserves this (BP?) THANK YOU!

Sorry if there are typos (even more than usual). I did this misty eyed. Call me a sap if you want.

Mark

Just last week a dad of one of our Troop's eagle scouts who is now a junior at a pretigious west coast college called me. He said his son and three other young men didn't know what to do for their spring break, so they applied for a grant to go to Northern ireland to work with the homeless. Forty groups of students applied, but his son's group won the grant and will be en route to Northern ireland later this month. His son said the leadership learned in Scouting and the fact that 3 of the 4 requestors were Eagle scouts got them their grant. He called to relate this story and to thank me for my part in his son's development. By the way, dad is an Eagle too and a Lutheran minister. It's calls like that that make what we do and the time we spend worthwhile. It helps me to ignore all the petty BS and routine squabbles we all go thru from time to time.

Watching the eyes of the new scouts as they are introduced into the troop and them wondering if they really want to be there. Later watching those same eyes shine with joy as they progress through the ranks. True returns.

Watching 15 year old scouts teach first aid or any of the other scout skills. True returns.

Watching the confidence of the scouts grow as they complete high adventure or even simple skills as their first eggs and bacon on an overnight. True returns.

Many scouts are not skilled enough to be in school sports or do not have the interest in other school activities. But they do have a venue in scouting that lets them participate in group activities and are required to grow as they do so. Watching this growth...true returns.

Watching that long ago first year stand proud at his Eagle Ceremony... true returns.

just thoughts..

yis

Two nights ago at a leaders meeting the cub scout leader told the others how I had said to him at the last camp that "It's time to go dad". He was trying not to help his son erect a big tent on his first night in camp as a PL. The son was standing back and not at all animated or leading. After dad left he returned to what we see as normal for him at Scouts.

The boy is confidant, has leadership presence, great humour, forthought etc. He is becoming a good leader. But dad has never seen that.

Family dynamics keep the PL feeling like a fool - big brother stand over habits and an overly indulgent mother is my geuss. I have told the other leaders that he is not to be treated as a bit dull. It is the habit of the community to treat him as such but not at Scouts. It seems to be working - the other leaders agree.

To be able to see a Scout getting out of the rut into which he has been pushed and kept is wonderful. To see the look on dad's face at the meeting when I told him what we see - and the other leaders backed me up - was sad. To see good things in a Scout which the family may never see is a gift.