So about the Scouts at the VP announcement in Dayton

While watching the broadcast at lunch today, I noticed a leader and a scout in the first row directly behind the Presidential hopeful.

Didn't national send out a letter regarding scouts participation in political events?

If memory serves, scouts could be a color guard but you are to exit immediately after your job. And not appear on stage or in any way to endorse the candidate.

It is cool they got to do it, just ashamed this guy couldn't abide by nationals wishes.

And it's against the rules.

I posted about this in the other thread, actually I was typing about it as I was watching it. In response, several people tried to immediately change the subject to something that happened at a Democratic convention eight years ago.

All I saw on tv were Scouts and at least one Scouter applauding political candidates as they spoke. What they did before or after, I don't know. Whether they had a letter of approval from national in their pockets, I don't know either. All I know is what I saw.

I don't think there is any problem with them serving as the color guard. I think the error was in not having them walk all the way off to the side after they presented the colors. The nationwide tv cameras did not cover the flag ceremony; they covered from the beginning of John McCain's speech. The Scouts and their leader were standing slightly off-center, directly behind Governor Palin's children. As a result, the first time the cameras cut to the show the children applauding their mother (that is, the ones who were not holding their baby brother), suddenly you saw these uniformed Scouts and Scouter, applauding the Republican candidate for Vice President. (And of course, every other time the cameras showed the family, the Scouts were there as well.) I am willing to believe it was just a mistake, but it was a mistake.

Fox News had the the flag presentation going in the back ground about a half hour before McCain and Palin came out. They did okay, nothing special. They then hung around the side for a while. I was surprised that they ended up behind the speakers. They should have left or at least gotten out of the spot light. I can understand wanting to stick around, I've been a Palin fan for a while now, but they should have either been off camera or removed their shirt. I know that sounds odd, but most of the scouts in our troop wear their activity t-shirt under their field shirt.

Eagledad, I think you can relax. Nobody is calling the cops. I don't even think an apology is necessary, as someone else said. What appeared on tv is not a "major issue". But it isn't every day that you see a blatant violation of BSA regs on live national tv. It is worthy of mention on a Scouting forum.

As for your Cubmaster example, the last time I ran for the school board I put in my bio that I was a Troop Committee member, former Assistant Cubmaster and YP trainer, along with all of my other community activities. So you can get the rope for me too, except that there's no rule against mentioning your Scouting experience. The point is, I wasn't wearing my Scout uniform to candidates' debates or PTO meetings.