He chose a White Woman

Barry I have written elsewhere on this forum recently that I think Biden's big mouth is an issue for him and we'll see how well he can control himself this time. Because of this, he would not have been my first choice for Obama's VP. But on the matter of expertise and grasp of complicated issues, I have little doubt that Biden knows his stuff. I have many doubts that Palin can show the same mastery of details and complexity. She could prove me wrong, and if so I'll say so. But so far what we've seen from her fits the following two patterns:

1) She's making an identity politics play to middle class, middle aged, middle income women by focusing attention on her role as a small-town PTA'er, "hockey mom," etc. In this role she's attempting to reach beyond the Republican base, although I'm not sure how successful she'll be.

2) She's playing the role of Republican attack dog (pit bull?) by taking the low blows at people's character and making fun of folks for giving back to their communities and trying to help the less fortunate . (here I'm thinking of her snarky comments about community organizers, etc.) In this role she's clearly trying to rev up a good chunk of the Republican base and I think she'll be very successful here, although the tone and substance of some of her comments might turn off the people she's attempting to reel in with the identity politics bit, above.

While both of these types of appeals might be expected of a VP candidate, neither is enough to make them worthy of election. In addition to the above she (and any VP) has to show she has sufficient command of the issues that could land on her desk. Without doing this, she'll have no credibility from which to launch those other types of appeals.

That's aside from her actual views and policy preferences on those issues. Given her obscure background and limited experience, first she just needs to show she understands the issues, then we can talk about what she wants to do in regard to the issues.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>> That's aside from her actual views and policy preferences on those issues. Given her obscure background and limited experience, first she just needs to show she understands the issues, then we can talk about what she wants to do in regard to the issues.

I also do not think Barack Obama is like Jesus. I do not think ANYONE is like Jesus. Therefore, if one was to say that Jesus was a teacher, when trying to illustrate what a teacher is, I do not think that they are also making the corrolation that all teachers are like Jesus.

That being said, TheScout, you remind me of my 7 year old.

~Pixie

At the end of the day, Joe Six-Pack votes for someone they can relate to, someone they would enjoy having a beer (or iced tea) with. I think that is why Bill Clinton won, and why George Bush beat Gore and Kerry.

So, who would Joe Six-Pack rather have a beer with? War hero, Senior Citizen McCain, or Ivy League, big city liberal Obama? Or Moose hunter, hockey mom Palin?

A Brit posted a pretty good article on the election, which is pretty insightful. It starts off as follows:

The best line I heard about Sarah Palin during the frenzied orgy of chauvinist condescension and gutter-crawling journalistic intrusion that greeted her nomination for vice-president a week ago came from a correspondent who knows a thing or two about Alaska.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4677799.ece