He chose a White Woman

The reason for the pick is obvious the very conservative base of the republican party is Jazzed over it.Search for comments from James Dobson if you don't believe me. Palin, Jindal, and Cantor are the up and comers on the horizon. Either of them would have solidified McCain's dubious position with the base. McCain has severe problems with said base due to his years of experience compromising in Washington. The base does not trust him. By picking one of ours he gells that important part of the republican coalition in support rather than leaving them up for grabs ala Perot and Brown voters in the Billy Bob victories. Much the same as George Bush reassured the same block with Dick Cheney. That it might draw some wicked witch of the north supporters is just icing on the cake. As for her child being properly cared for nannies are fairly reasonable to hire on both sides of the political aisle you just have to make sure you are paying their taxes. I am sure Barak and Michelle have had their share of nannies as she is the main breadwinner in that family.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I see politics is once again bringing out the worst in people. Gern, shame on you. What would your mother say about that comment?

BTW, the Scouts in uniform at the McCain rally at the Nutter Center in Fairborn, Ohio yesterday were the color guard.

They may have been the color guard but they violated national policy by appearing on camera and on stage with the candidate.

They owe the entire scouting community an apology. And the leader of the group needs to be disciplined or at least reeducated.

The DE that was in the paper was an idiot. I know if I had scouts attending something of that magnitude I would Call national and get the real scoupe and a letter fax so I KNOW the rules.

"She stopped the Bridge to Nowhere"

How about the whole story there, champ. Sarah Palin supported the "Bridge to Nowhere" - she only cancelled it after she learned that the Alaska Congressional Delegation was unable to guarantee that the Federal Government (aka the Taxpayers of all 50 states) would fund the State of Alaska's portion of the bridge. Every road project funded by the Federal Government (with the exception of road projects on federal lands) are only partially funded by the feds - usually around 60-70%, with state and local governments picking up the tab for the remaining amount. Palin only cancelled it because the State of Alaska would still have to pick up their fair share of the costs. It's a flat out lie (I won't use the term "spin" - which is just another way of saying "lie") to say Palin cancelled the project because she's a fighter of "pork". In fact, though the bridge project was cancelled, she made sure that Alaska kept the money the feds allocated to the bridge project, for unallocated state projects. Pork fighter my Aunt Fanny.

Let's not forget her firing the entire Agriculture Commission because they appointed the members of the Creamery Board who recommended the State of Alaska close a money losing state-owned dairy operation, a move she opposed to "save Alaska jobs" - and which only resulted in the dairy losing money for the state for another year before it was closed down and the buildings sold for about $1.5 million dollars less than they would have been sold for if she had listened to the Creamery Board in the first place. One of her campaign contributors got a pretty nice deal on that real estate transaction.

As for another state legislator possible becoming President within a few years of holding state office, I submit perhaps the best President this country has ever had - the President who truly united a country of states into the United States - Abraham Lincoln.

As to whether this is an inspired choice, we'll have to wait and see. The choice may solidify the right wing in McCain's corner, but may scare the heck out of the moderates in the GOP, as wel as independent voters. If it was some kind of ploy to appeal to Hillary voters, I think it will backfire - it may prevent women who would normally vote GOP from voting Dem, but those women who were truly Hillary supporters, and not voting for Hillary just because she is a woman, will likely look at Palin and decide that she is not the person they would want as the first female VP or President of the United States.

Calico

Well, Gern, Im 10,000 percent with your point of view. The woman made a long-term commitment to an innocent baby that depends totally and completely on his mother for his care and well being. NOTHING is more important than the well being of a child. It is totally and completely selfish and irresponsible to blow off a child in favor of pursuing a political office. Those kinds of leaders we dont need. Her priorites are misplaced and that speaks to her character.

"As for another state legislator possible becoming President within a few years of holding state office, I submit perhaps the best President this country has ever had - the President who truly united a country of states into the United States - Abraham Lincoln."

Oh you mean the one who had the end of his term left 700,000 Americans dead, large swathes of this country in ruins, unilaterally suspended habeous corpus, and locked up thousands of political prisoners.

That does sound great!

So Basementdweller,

Where can we find this BSA national policy documented so that we can all be educated?

And why should the Scouts and Scouters of the Tecumseh Council owe the entire community an apology? Because they presented the U. S. colors as requested by an American political party?

"The woman made a long-term commitment to an innocent baby that depends totally and completely on his mother for his care and well being."

What's the big deal? Most moms are going back to work shortly after their child is born, no matter the condition of the child. Governor/Veep? What's the diff?

In any case, the kid can get better care in DC than they can in Alaska.

The Scout, it sounds like you don't like Abraham Lincoln very much. From other posts, it sounds like you are a Republican. If you watch next week's convention of your party, it is safe bet (based on past conventions) that you will hear the name of Lincoln invoked at least 10 times each day, and that is being conservative. (So to speak.) And I sincerely doubt that in any of those references, you will hear anything about him laying much of the country to waste or suspending habeas corpus.

For the first time in a long time I agree with F-Scouter 100% not only is she abandoning her baby but that baby has special medical needs. Gold Winger per usual your remarks were not only callous and thoughtless but were an insult to women, and showed once again your lack of understanding the situation at hand.

Baden, Baden, Baden, you really need a reality check.

Insulting to women? It is a statement of fact. Most moms go back to work.

It is also a statement of fact that the child would have access to far better medical care in DC than in Alaska. Johns Hopkins, NIH, Betheda Naval, University of Maryland Medical School, Georgetown School of Medicine, not to mention all of the special schools in the area.

You live in a strange little world where the truth is insulting.

I understand the situation, you're a sexist. If a man had a such a child, you wouldn't think twice about his running for office. Sexist! Shame on you! Shame, shame, shame!

Scout,

So you blame Lincoln for the Civil War? Slavery was the ticking time bomb that even the Founding Generation couldnt solve without risking the dissolution of the new union. Instead they chose to set it aside, despite the feelings of many that it was incompatible with the ideals of the Revolution, and leave it for a future generation, and ultimately Lincoln, to deal with. Maybe if the slave-owning states had taken a cue from Ben Franklin, who sponsored a petition for emancipation back in 1790, and acknowledged the inevitability of emancipation and worked towards a reasonable implementation of it, there would have been no Civil War and those lost lives and devastation. Even the autocratic Tsar of all the Russias freed the Russian serfs before Lincoln freed the slaves.

Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus with the support of Congress, which is more than I can say of the machinations of the current regime.

What has Obama done? Well, he voteded against Georges Iraq adventure, even when other Democrats fell for the WMD snowjob and our allies were calling for restraint. Thats reason enough for me.

Somebody had made a comment that the Middle East is more stable then it was prior to 2000. Huh? Iraq is still unstable (thanks to Bush) and this has emboldened Iran and allowed them to become a player in the region. Hamas is held up in Gaza. Hezbollah has fought a brief war with Israel and tensions are still high. There is tension between Turkey and Kurdish radicals, causing Turkey to invade Iraqi territory. There is still no solution to the Palestinian situation. Things sure are looking good in the Middle East.

McCains VP pick and her conservative credentials only says to me that we would be in for more of the same if they are elected. There was a time when I, a Democrat-leaning Independent, was attracted to McCain and his left-of-center style of Republicanism. No more. He has moved into the arms of Bush/Cheney and the Religious Right and his VP pick only serves to confirm this.

YIS,

Mike

"So you blame Lincoln for the Civil War?"

Who else is there? "Honest" Abe said something along the lines of "I'd keep slavery indefinately if it would keep the union intact." He had a grand idea for big government and a lot of people died for his ideas.

What's the big deal? Most moms are going back to work shortly after their child is born, no matter the condition of the child."

The big deal is that "most" moms have their priorities screwed up. "Work" is more important than your child? Only in a self-centered, selfish view of reality. Would the kid agree to that view?

The best care that a child can receive it that in which the mother (AND father) can provide. No third party care comes close.