He chose a White Woman

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree Gern, McCain was hitting Obama's experience this week even when he knew who is VP was going to be. I don't think he is worried about it. Who knows, maybe he sees it as an opportunity to keep hitting her experience, which is quite good really. She reported Republican corruption, which got her elected and is one of John's favorite topics.

that's correct, gwd. She was elected in Nov 06, started her term in Jan 07, and has served a little less than 2 years at this point. One could point to Obama's relative inexperience at the national level in politics and that (to my mind) is a fair critique too. However, he did at least have the distinction of serving 8 years in state government before moving to the US Senate. Palin does not have even that depth of background in state government. She is not someone I can imagine McCain turning to for advice and serious input because she doesn't know Washington and won't be taken seriously there by people in positions of power.

That she was in local gov't for some time is great. To my mind, that's where true "citizen politics" works best, when local people, just regular folks, are involved in handling local issues. I worked in local govt (not in an elected position) when I was in college. There were some very dedicated people worked in that local govt too. That doesn't make them VP material though.

I now live in a town of a good deal more than 8,000 people (rough size of Palin's town where she served on city council and was mayor). I like our mayor (a Republican) and she's held her post for some time so she's obviously popular. I hardly think that she would be qualified to potentially be president though, even if she had a year and a half of statewide experience to go with her local gov't experience.

Nothing against Palin, who could be a true up-and-comer in the Republican party over the next few years. I'm just very surprised and rather dismayed by McCain's choice of an inexperienced, unknown quantity for this very important position. Although I will not be voting for him this time (I might very well have in 2000 or 2004, if given the chance), I have always admired and respected McCain. I thought he had better sense than this though.

This is certainly the most interesting election year I can remember. One thing is sure, McCain's announcement today definitely stole the media coverage from Obama's speech last night. Clicking around the channels this evening everyone is talking about Palin, very little about Obama.

My heart goes out to little Trig. He's a mere 4 months old, severely handicapped and his mother is too busy becoming VP to spend much time with him. She left him 3 days after he was born to resume her job as Gov of Alaska. He needs the touch of his mother, the calming feeling only his mother can give him. Its a very difficult road for Trig, he shouldn't have to travel it alone. Perhaps she should have given Trig up for adoption so he could have a loving, dedicated mother. Do you think there's a conservative mother who might want to adopt Trig?

From my POV as a social and economic Republican (well, except Amtrak ;) )... this moves from from ambivalence towards McCain (and taking a hard look at Bob Barr's Libertarian candidacy) into the McCain camp. That's a bit of what is happening here... solidifying the base.

From what I see, but I will admit I don't have as much hands-on reading as Lisa, Palin does bring some domestic policy gravitas to McCain. He's tremendous on national security, and he's good on a couple other issues, but McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform? Folks, that's all Beltway, all the time.

Frankly, we've had some less ready Presidents... Eisenhower was a huge national security person, but save a couple years as President of Columbia, he was never directly involved in domestic issues. Think about Jimmy Carter a moment. Heck, think about Jack Kennedy or Bill Clinton. THink about our current incumbent.

I've had my fill of Harvard Law Beltway experience. She's not the top of the ticket. If they win, and I hope they do, she has a chance to grow.

I'm also tired of folks who aren't solidly on the side of the Second Amendment. If you don't think we've not infringed the right to keep and bear arms, look at the Lautenberg Amendment: A Lautenberg accusation is sufficient to send a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine out the door. Note I didn't say conviction.

I can live with Sarah Palin. The Republic can and has done with worse, from both sides of the aisle. Warren G Harding and William J Clinton come to mind.

So, McCain said he was the maverick, the outsider, why would he choose a VP who would be seen as an insider, such as Biden. I thought not being from inside the beltway was an advantage, but now I guess its a disadvantage. Palin is as far from inside the beltway as you can get and still be in North America

Since when being the Chief Exective of 2 goverment bodys not experence. Since when being a 4 year senator with no leadership experence. Since when being a man in the senate for all his life with no leadership except committees experence. Since when being a commanding officer of the largest figther wing not experence. Since when living thru being a captive in a hostile state not a true example of FP. Since when is Obama a leader and not a speach in a suit reading what someone else wrote for him and setting in the pews with Rev. Wright spewing for 20 years leadership. Since when setting on a committe with a know terriost who bombed the Police HQ in NYC leadership. Like the ole saying goes you are judged by the company you keep. Eating with a terrioist, loans from a crook and church with a raist...hummmmmm

"Perhaps she should have given Trig up for adoption so he could have a loving, dedicated mother. Do you think there's a conservative mother who might want to adopt Trig?"

Gern-

I love to stir things up as much as the next guy, usually in person, but that was really low. You are just pathetic.