Why do people switch parties?

TheScout writes:

Shouldn't it part of a wife's liberty to seek her husbands advice on who to vote for is she desires.

Sure. Same for the husband to seek his wife's advice, right? So what does your "head of household" remark mean, except as a double-standard?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Males have been considered the head of the household for thousands of years. I guess thats still true unless modern day liberals want to destroy that part of our traditional culture as well.

I would like to think that a loving, caring husband in the time before women's suffrage would consult his wife and vote in the best interests of the family.

If I was married I would not think of voting against the best interests of my wife if she had the right to vote or not.

TheScout writes:

Males have been considered the head of the household for thousands of years.

What does that have to do with deciding who to vote for?

I guess thats still true unless modern day liberals want to destroy that part of our traditional culture as well.

What does that have to do with deciding who to vote for?

I would like to think that a loving, caring husband in the time before women's suffrage would consult his wife and vote in the best interests of the family.

Possibly. I would think a loving, caring wife would also.

If I was married I would not think of voting against the best interests of my wife if she had the right to vote or not.

None of what you say explains why a wife should vote how her husband says based on his being traditionally "head of household".

BadenP and gwd-scouter,

Funny, its the exact opposite with me. It seems the older I get the less conservative and more open-minded and tolerant (dare I say liberal), Ive become.

Change does not frighten me, especially after the last eight years of incompetence, duplicity, waste, and arrogance here at home. In the world around us we have discrimination, tribal wars, religious wars, ethnic cleansing why? Last time I looked we were all human beings.

Its been that way since time began I guess but I still cling to that hope that someday a group of leaders will sit down and meet and say: Enough of this cr-p! Lets get down to the business of seeing that people are fed, clothed, housed, and educated. Lets put our resources to work in rejuvenation of the planet, in medicine, or in just about anything that makes life better and folks happy!"

When you have children, as I do, you want things to be better for them. If a lot of things stay the way they are today then thats not going to happen.

Yup, idealism of a kid in the mind of a 52 year old.

YIS,

Mike

DYB-Mike, my post was meant to convey that I am not turning into a conservative as I get older, but more liberal. I was idealistic in my youth, but would say I was most definitely not open minded.

Some personal life changing events have happened as I've grown older, especially in the past couple of years, that have caused me to think more about my rather strident and, on reflection, unkind beliefs about people less fortunate than myself. I will not go into detail here, but suffice to say I had little tolerance for folks looking to our government to assist them in times of need. I also had a fair dose of fear about people that were not like me or did not share my beliefs.

My how I've changed.

OGE, just a quick comment: It is spelled Kool-aid not Cool-aid but besides...Jim Jones actually had them drink Flavor-aid laced with cyanide and not that other well-known drink. Sorry, these things are just too important to let stand.;)

GWD and DYB, this is the problem with labels. I know plenty of people who think of themselves as conservative (me included) in some ways but very liberal (me included) in other ways, tolerance being one of the other ways. Labels are good if they are clear and specific. When they aren't they become rather meaningless. In the former USSR, the conservative politicos were actually the staunchest communists and most resistant to capitalism. These terms (labels) are almost worthless except to stifle discussion.