Racial minorities. - Reaching the under-served?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First,let me introduce my self. my name is tom and i am kind of new here,so please take an easy on me.Currently i am taking the wood badge program. I am the cubmaster of a newly formed pack in the inner city.The majority of kids are in the minorty and they mostly come from single parent households (some grandmas too). I have numerous opinions on the scoutreach program but that is another thread. My kids cannot go door to door selling popcorn,way to risky.Wow think about that cubby going to knock on the local crackhouse door.Yeah that is smart.So what else can we do sell popcorn at the mall,yeah we can do that and we will. My leadership team will get this going because we have no choice,it is going to be hard but i am a true hardhead.Why did i say we have no choice. It is because there is nothing else here to teach them the values like we do in scouting,they have pop warner football and little league but that is it.Oh yeah they do have another option that is the local gangs or hanging out on the corner slinging dope.

how can the local council or scouts help. Just be there for them and listen to there concerns.How about donating your gently used uniforms or sharing your camping equipment.Do you know that 90% of the innner city youth never camped outside or do not know how to swim.The local council can help them get started by helping them out for the first year with funds to offset all the fees and cost.

YIS and yip yip to all the wood badgers.

Tommy,

welcome and good luck. Some other options to raise money, if possible, are car washes, and cleanups, especially big events. Grant you it may be more leaders and Webelos doing the work, but you can raise funds. more later