Did he complete his Eagle on time? Yes/No.

I had an interesting situation a couple of weeks ago and I want to throw it out to get various responses.

A Life Scout was trying transfer from one unit to another in October, 2002.

The Life Scout walks into our district office in November. He is given names of Scoutmasters, Units, and meeting times.

In early December, the district office manager gives me a heads up to expect this Life Scout because he maybe heading my way.

A Supertyphoon with winds up to 180 mph devastates the island on Dec. 8, 2002. There is no communications, no power, limited water, and our district office was heavily damaged. The office was closed until late January 2003.

The Office manager receives an Eagle Project Workbook in the mailbox from the Life Scout. The only signatures are the Life Scouts and a town mayor dated January 2003. There was no unit leader, no unit committee Chairperson, and No District/Council Advancement Signatures.

I was asked by certain Council Scouters to see if I can "Fix" the situation.

I met with the Life Scout regarding his Eagle Project Workbook. I pointed out the signature discrepancies. I,also, pointed out that after Dec.31, 2002, many of us on island were not current members of the BSA until we rechartered. Which many units here did not do until the end of last month due to continuing recovery efforts from the disaster. The Life Scout has already turned 18 years old since January 2003. I informed the Scout that an Eagle Project could not be done without the proper signatures,that he was not a member of a unit, and that his membership expired since the end of December. He admitted that he knew of the requirements but went ahead anyway w/o the proper signatures because he was running out of time. Now his father who was attending the conference with him got upset that his son was being penalized for going ahead and doing a project and may not be getting the Eagle Award.

I informed the Scout that he may have to write to Council or the National Adavancement Committee to request for an extension. That even if he did write to National, they may not approve it.

So What do you think of this?

Did he complete his Eagle?

Can National grant him an extension?

Matua

When did he do his project, before or after the typhoon? I believe the fact that you weren't chartered is probably irrelevant under the disaster conditions. Here in our council they approve projects at a monthly meeting, so it takes at least one month for the approval, 2 if they have concerns about it. He should have known the timetable if he was following the Life to Eagle packet.

Did he submit an Eagle application without the required signatures? National will not accept an application without them and would reject and send it back to the Council. Under these circumstances I don't believe he has done the requirments for Eagle.

Can he appeal to Council or National? Sure. Probably they would grant an extention to do a new project under a certain timeline. Maybe they would accept that project? Why was he transfering and why didn't he find a Troop? If you could supply a bit more info it would be helpful.

A natural disaster certainly would form the basis for an appeal. There are a lot of details missing from your original post but, it seems to me that you advised the boy properly. The matter is out of your hands. He needs to talk to people further up the line.

was he missing anything other than the signatures on the application?

Was the project acceptable as an Eagle project?

If this was all that he was missing and the project is acceptable you and the District advancement committee could sign the paperwork and the council could explain the lapse in registration based on the hardship caused by the storm. You would not require an extension to hold the Board of Review after his 18th birthday but all the other requirements would have to be completed before then.

Bob White

The Life Scout did the project after the typhoon in January 2003.

He has not turned in an Eagle Application at this time. The only thing that was turned in was his Eagle Service Project Workbook.

The project was vague for me to even consider as an Eagle Project. He did not have much to go on. As a member of the Eagle BOR here, his project would not get my vote but now that I'm "technically" his Eagle Advisor. I would have to recuse myself from the Eagle BOR.

I believe the Typhoon was a major factor

The Scout is now registered with a unit from 1 January 2003.

He may have to redo a project that will satisfy the requirement.

Matua

It is not the Board of Review's job to approve the project. As his advisor you are not required to excuse yourself from the Board.

It would be up to the District Advancement Committee to determine the validity of the project. My understanding of the advancement rules is that all the Eagle requirements must be completed prior to the scouts 18th birthday (except for the Board of Review), unless an illness or injury kept him from planning and giving leadership to the project. Just having a poor project would not warrant an extension.

If the District Advancement Committee approves the project, you would need to get the missing signatures on the application and hold the Board of review. Upon passing the board with a unanimous vote you would forward it to the Council Advancement Committee where it would get the council approval and be sent to the National Advancement Committee for final acceptance.

But the more time you take the less his chance for acceptance. Remeber all signatures except for those of the Board would need to be back dated prior to his 18th birthday.

This is not to say give the scout a free ride, the Dist. Advancement committee would still to to rule positively on the project, he still has to pass a board by unanimous decision and council still needs to verify MB and records.

But you best get a move on.

Bob White

Soon local councils should be able to extend Life Scouts an extension for up to 6 months without waiting for an extension to be approved by national. Many extensions had been approved for 6 months but the turn around time was often several months. Now more letters back to national; the end result was some scouts did not receive their Eagle award until after they were 19. National would like to see Eagle Scouts continue in Venturing Crews. The idea is that most young adults like to get away with people (girls too) their own age and run their own program.