The Guy who Killed the Red Berets still at it

When I crossed over to my first troop in 1991, they were known across the district for their red berets. Only a handful of the older Scouts had managed to get the official-issue ones, and the rest of us had to make do with knockoffs. They gave the troop a real pride in the uniform when combined with the matching custom red neckerchiefs.

Nowadays, my opinion is a bit different. I sweat like a pig while standing in my shorts in a snowdrift, and wearing anything over the top of my head dramatically intensifies the effect. (You ever seen someone melt?) But on Scouts, I still think they look darn sharp.

Nike - Just as an observation, in some religions and cultures, wearing headgear or head coverings indoors is a sign of respect or faith. Not everyone who wears a hat under a roof is being disrespectful or forgetful.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, when I was looking through the insignia guide, it stated that hats could be worn inside during cermonies. Just not to be worn during religious ceremonies/services. Also if you look at many of the older pictures and you will see scouts wearing hats during indoor activities.

I think the beret would be something that can be interesting.

I am a victim of the beret!

As a Scout from 1969 through the 70's nobody in my troop would have ever been caught dead in a red beret. We "Jersey Boys" laughed at units who wore them.

At the same time I often served as a model for many BSA publications. Yes, I was much thinner, younger and had more hair back then. In any case, I am now forever visible in the circ 1973 Fieldbook wearing a beret. I can be found in the first aid section demonstrating how to remove something from the eye. I'll never understand why they made me wear that beret...

Ken

"I am a victim of the beret!"

So, I take it you are a glass half empty kind of guy, you could just as well state

"I am immortalized because of the beret"

and have the same story

Life depends so much on which knothole we choose to view

John in KC

You made me look it up!

GENERAL ERIC SHINSEKI, ARMY CHIEF OF STAFF:

"Now, many different units have worn berets throughout our history, and in the case of the black beret, other formations, to include armor units, cavalry units, other infantry units, have worn it over time. And because of that shared history in our Army, the black beret remains the most relevant color for wear Army-wide today.

And so at the time of our decision last fall to expand the wear of the black beret, the Ranger regiment was invited to consider, if appropriate, another distinctive color that it might select to designate its formations. And after considering several options over these intervening months, the regiment requested and the Army has approved the tan beret for wear by Rangers."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0103/16/se.04.html

A beret in a clank-clank makes sense. Eyes to scopes, heads turning in close quarters and a cushion against bumps.

When I was in, the Rangers had just started wearing the black and enjoyed the recognition of being another special op force.

All I remember tankers wearing in the old World II movies and press shots were the old style leather helmets that looks like Red Grange wore. It would protect your head until the gasoline blew the tank up.

As a scout in the '70s, I first wore the flight/overseas cap...cheap and easy to keep track of. Just fold it over/under your belt and there it is. Or actually wear it on your head.

Then, due to family moves, I was in two different troops that chose the beret.

Only two ways to wear that thing: all tricked out military style, like a mercenary, or like a goofy poet.

Very little ground in between.

The second troop was in Alaska, and because we wore watch caps more often than not, we didn't emphasize beret wearing too much during the warmer months.

As a scouter, I'll wear a ball cap from a local camp to keep the sun off. Otherwise, I'm hat free.

I don't remember the Red Berets being "beloved". I grew up with the flight cap or baseball cap -- the campaign hat was impractical and the beret was just an idiotic European affection. I can't even remember seeing any Scouts wearing it except for out-of-towners who usually dropped it within 6 months after moving in-state.

I don't mind Sliwa, NYC needed something to protect people when he started the Guardian Angels, but the berets were just stupid regardless of who wore them. They have got to be the most impractical headwear ever devised; they don't block sun or rain from your eyes or face and you can't even store stuff under them like with a fez or turban or fedora.

OGE, you are indeed correct about the saying being "perception" rather than "perspective". Sometimes my brain moves faster than it can do so accurately!

But, if you think about it, "perspective" might just be OK in this case. And anyway, you know what I think I meant...

My personal opinions aside, I'm trying to think of ways to have our PLC build a little cohesive spirit. Maybe some berets for just the PLC members (not including their advisor). I've also thought of trolling Ebay for some of the old "Green Bar" Patrol patches. They might look nice as the insignia on the front of a black beret.

See? I'm not toally against berets, I just don't like them for myself. So, I guess my glass is sorta half full!

Ken

Actually, the tankers who wore the black beret the most were the Brits.

75th Rangers are an elite force, though like too many special operators at the moment, rid hard, put away wet, and called out before the dawn. That's an entirely different subject.

I was talking with a friend today here on Fortress Tradoc West. He had his baseball cap, vice the beanie. He, however, cannot sing...

"DING DONG THE BERET IS DEAD!! THE BERET IS DEAD!! THE BERET IS DEAD!!

• 2 months later...

Personally I never did the BSA beret or any other BSA hat because of having a size 8 head. So it's hard to get behind any type of hat when you can't wear them.

I always wondered if it was acceptable to come up with your own scout hat when the BSA doesn't cover your size.

I was lucky at Wood Badge... Their velcro adjustable hats actually fit (not official BSA hats), but just barely.

As far as the red berets go. If the boys are happy with them. Then more power to them.

But at camp I wouldn't recommend them... at least not for my sons. Their fair skin really needs more protection than the berets can give.