The Guy who Killed the Red Berets still at it

You know, as Stacy London and Clinton Kelly would say, Fashion is not hard, it just takes planning. I see the wearing of the beret just as I see taking a '68 Vette out with the top down. Not going to do it on a day when rain is possible. If you plan on walking west all afternoon, you can tuck the beret under that epaulet and use your pocket sun visor

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I mention that when I was a Scout and later as a Scout Leader the UK that I wore a green beret? (Green Berets were the official uniform)

I think I should have one, somewhere.

I have to admit to thinking that at that time I looked good in in it.

Of course now days with so much snow on the roof.

I'm thinking of a red hat with a white pompom on the end, which might help me secure seasonal employment at a mall during the holidays.

Ea.

Berets look sharp when and only when the wearer's haircut is a military cut. Men with moppy looking hairdos and most ladies just look like pizza salesmen - poofy.

The beret must be shaved of extra fuzz, is impractical but looks sharp when properly cared for.

The beret is one of the least practical pieces of headgear ever devised, perhaps equalling the similarly iconic and useless garrison cap.

It is, however, infinitely cooler than the garrison cap, and the BSA ball cap - cooler in the elitist sense, not temperature.

The BSA beret in particular was difficult to sculpt to make it wear right, but it could be done.

I rank the beret second only to the campaign cap for scouting panache.

I can see where everyone is coming from with the Berets.

I have to wear one with my uniform when I go to drill with the NG. For standard everyday use and wear, they suck. No shade for your eyes, they are hard to shape right and keep worn right, and they smell funny when you sweat a lot.

For a class A head gear for special occasions, I think they would be appropriate. They are sharp. I think their place is for special occasions. I would prefer to wear my patrol cap anytime. BUT NEVER AT A SCOUT FUNCTION. that would just be wrong and against all the rules.

That is my opinion, and I am stickin' to it.

Scoutldr, I invite you to one of our troop meetings. PM me for time/place.

(most of the women associated with the troop, myself included, agree that this is an easier look for most men to carry off due to the need for short hair. But most of our boys really, really, really like the berets! They've even held troop "beret shaving/shaping" nights, no kidding. And yes, that brings to mind, well, all sorts of other snide comments.)

"The beret is one of the least practical pieces of headgear ever devised, perhaps equalling the similarly iconic and useless garrison cap.

It is, however, infinitely cooler than the garrison cap, and the BSA ball cap - cooler in the elitist sense, not temperature. "

Its funny you should say that. A 15 yo Life Scout in Nephew's Troop was looking at the new Scout uniform and hat and said "I wish they'd bring back that flat one like I got on Ebay".

He's not a very....fashionista Boy...he just likes the garrison cap better.

YiS

Michelle

I joined circa spring 71 (garrison cap era) and shortly thereafter one of my friends (my den chief, and my first patrol leader) came back from a conference at the Philmont training center wearing a red beret and speaking of new program features such as belt loops.

I remember being instructed on how to properly wear the beret, and in my mind, it only looked good when it was worn properly. At the '73 National Jamboree, I remember thousands of scouts who didn't know how to wear it properly. But I think the color contrast was good.

Summer of '72, my troop sent a contingent to Philmont, and they chose a crew hat: the old Campaign hats. However, they didn't realize how poorly it would perform in the rain and how a backpack would curl up the backside of the hat. Most kids never wore theirs again.

When I went to Philmont, summer '75, our crew chose baseball caps as crew hats. Those worked out better, but my ears sunburned! I was wearing a shroud for a few days.

Which all brings me to a point: since I'm newly returned to the program (my 11-yr-old just joined a troop), are troops allowed to officially adopt a troop hat? My son's present troop doesn't have a hat policy.

Thanks,

Guy (1st post)

Which all brings me to a point: since I'm newly returned to the program (my 11-yr-old just joined a troop), are troops allowed to officially adopt a troop hat? My son's present troop doesn't have a hat policy.

Hi Guy, and welcome back. The short answer to your question is "yes." No doubt you'll get some longer answers too; uniforming seems to bring out opinions like almost no other topic.

Give me a khaki boonie hat for summer time (shade all around my head) and a woolen watch cap for the winter time (warm all around my head).

Alternatively, give me the Army 4 season BDU patrol cap :)

Lisa, if your Troops' youth are having fun with the berets, that's what matters. Thoughts about functionality aside, they're having fun and they're norming on the item. That's good. :)

Finally, as for the Guardian Angels still being out there... GOOD. We need more citizen involvement in taking back our streets.

• 2 weeks later...

Shaved, liner cut out, wet down and formed over a true steel pot, side snugged down tight, top form fitted to the skull with the stiffner pulled slightly forward and the headband parallel to the ground -- that's the way to truly wear the beret!

And yes, when I wore one, I looked pretty darn good in it. However they do make a lousy field hat, I second a nice floppy boonie hat.

John

Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council