Representatives who voted against the Boy Scout commemorative coin

Not even all members of the BSA are in favor:

http://www.numismaticnews.net/currency/Should+The+Boy+Scouts+Of+America+Have+A+Centennial+Commemorative.aspx

Generally I would be quite in favor of a commemorative coin for the centennial of the BSA - after all, I have been a member for 40 years! As a youth I earned the Eagle Scout Award, as an adult I served the community as a troop scoutmaster for 14 years. I have been honored by the Queens Council with the Silver Beaver Award. In 2002 I spearheaded a committee that re-wrote the Coin Collecting Merit Badge booklet and since 1981 I have organized the American Numismatic Association's participation with a Coin Collecting Merit Badge booth on the Merit Badge Midway at the National Scout Jamborees (seven of them and counting!).

So, why would I be against a Scouting Centennial coin?

Well, I am against the scouting centennial coin program because the BSA has poised itself as a "private membership organization" and discriminates in its membership; and therefore I do not think that government funds should be going to such a group.

Also, the Military Religious Freedom Foundation is against it based on the BSA's religious discrimination:

http://www.pubrecord.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=8

You have no sense of humor do you Merlyn?

"These discrimination issues revolve around God, Gays, and Girls."

Guess the Girl Scouts discriminate, too!

And you link doesn't work, Merlyn, but I did read the article.(This message has been edited by evmori)

My URL is correct, but the posting software didn't make it into a proper link because it stopped at the "+". And I think everyone here realizes that the girl scouts discriminate on the basis of sex and age, did you just hear about it?

Okay; since the bill includes fees covering the actual cost of design, and minting to be passed on to the buyer, how is this an issue of government funds for BSA?

The buyer should know that the surcharge is going to support the organization in some manner; if he does not want to pay it because of that support, then he does not buy it. Cost added on to cover expenses in the issue cover that complaint; and, if it is like most "expense coverages", it will be excessive, so may actually give the government a profit on the coin.

So, then it is just one more case of let's not give any support to BSA, because they have some beliefs with which we disagree, and their huge contributions to society, especially when compared to similar groups, make no difference.

Still, anyone even slightly familiar with members of Congress would have been able to tell ahead of time who would vote against. These people will never vote for anything that has BSA even remotely noted in a positive manner.

Baldwin and Frank have already been discussed.

Of the remaining six, three are from CA, the state that booed the Boy Scout color guard at the 2000 National Democratic Convention.

Not sure what to make of the other three (Gutierrez, Kucinich & McDermott).

I think we can look to FScouter's response for a likely reason that Kucinich voted against it - a waste of time when there are more important issues to be worrying about - that seems pretty much in character with Kucinich.

George Cuhaj says, "In the world of international scouting, the program as evolved in the United States as two distinct groups the BSA and the GSUSA. In most of the other 180 or so countries which have a scouting program, girls and boys participate under one national organization."

For a Silver Beaver, he really doesn't know what's going on.

In spite of the fact we're politically in opposite parties, Lisa, I agree with you. Truth be told, I'm more concerned about why 27 Members of Congress weren't around for the vote. Of course, some seats are vacant this close to the next election due to death, resignation, or conviction, but 27???

Frankly, we do have bigger fish to fry than a commemorative coin. After all, if the US doesn't, the Franklin Mint probably will...

I agree that Congress probably shouldn't get involoved. BUT, if the BSA wants a commemorative coin, there are private mints who can make a coin, much like the Army makes challenge coins, by using private coin making companies. Don't worry public money hawks, money for coins generally come from the actual person who wants the coin or from some special fund, but not (generally) "tax payor dollars".

A commemorative coin for the BSA is a great idea. It will be a huge seller, and I will buy several myself to stash away for presents when my current crop of Cub Scouts reach Eagle. Those who are against commemorating the BSA don't have to buy any.

OzarksOsage